• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: The Scioscia Era – Where did it go wrong?

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Just one slight correction Nate. Angels signed Matthews after the 2006 season. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. 

Other than that excellent article. 

Thanks and you are absolutely correct, that should read November 2006

Firing Eddie Bane was a terrible mistake. Arte shells out money for overpriced veterans while he rips his scouting staff to pieces. The Angels farm looks uglier than Rocky from The Mask.

Also please do something with that fucking stadium. Another coat of paint isn't going to do the trick this time. 

hey, that's a great summary of key decisions (some good, most of the BIG F/A signings bad -- and all of us here at AW.com KNEW it at the time -- GMJ, Hamilton, freakin' Wells trade/ and taking on his contract. Most here were in favor of the Pujols deal even if we thought the price was a bit steep and for too many years.......still- overall-- a good signing then and I still think now -- Pujols slow start with the Halos made a bad first impression and became the headline over time despite his pretty good numbers since.

The best day listed above in terms of Halos moves -- drafting Trout.

The most over-looked development that has really impacted the Halos (for the worse) -- firing Eddie Bane.

Who wrote that piece?  Excellent work.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

hey, that's a great summary of key decisions (some good, most of the BIG F/A signings bad -- and all of us here at AW.com KNEW it at the time -- GMJ, Hamilton, freakin' Wells trade/ and taking on his contract. Most here were in favor of the Pujols deal even if we thought the price was a bit steep and for too many years.......still- overall-- a good signing then and I still think now -- Pujols slow start with the Halos made a bad first impression and became the headline over time despite his pretty good numbers since.

The best day listed above in terms of Halos moves -- drafting Trout.

The most over-looked development that has really impacted the Halos (for the worse) -- firing Eddie Bane.

Who wrote that piece?  Excellent work.

I did, thanks.  byline must have been missed on this submission.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Firing Eddie Bane was a terrible mistake. Arte shells out money for overpriced veterans while he rips his scouting staff to pieces. The Angels farm looks uglier than Rocky from The Mask.

Also please do something with that fucking stadium. Another coat of paint isn't going to do the trick this time. 

new lease with the COA -- nothing much new in the way of improvements.

one get the impression from the outside looking at the Halos moves (manager, player movements/ signings, Stadium lease agreements, long term media deal for about one tenth of what the other greater LA media market team gets , etc.) that the Halos are in a holding pattern.

Might as well put up the old TV test pattern screen up before and after each telecast..........

Wow great job Nate. That's a lot of history that brought back a lot of memories. I think Morales breaking his ankle was the beginning of the downturn.

It's crazy that we have the greatest player on the planet but the rest of the team is well below average. We've seen much better Angels teams prior to Pujols and Trout. Something's going to happen because it needs to happen. 

Bad GM hires

i think the Matthews signing is crossed out bc we signed Hunter a couple years later. 

if Morales doesn't break his leg do we hand Pujols a quarter of a billion dollars? He might be playing for the Marlins

Arte panicked when we whiffed on Crawford and we let go of Naps for Wells

Hamilton signing. It's kept us from doing much of anything in FA to improve the last 2 seasons. 

Those are the things that stick out to me.

What about the Haden trade? We let go of 2 young promising Lefties @nate

2 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Bad GM hires

i think the Matthews signing is crossed out bc we signed Hunter a couple years later. 

if Morales doesn't break his leg do we hand Pujols a quarter of a billion dollars? He might be playing for the Marlins

Arte panicked when we whiffed on Crawford and we let go of Naps for Wells

Hamilton signing. It's kept us from doing much of anything in FA to improve the last 2 seasons. 

Those are the things that stick out to me.

What about the Haden trade? We let go of 2 young promising Lefties @nate

I mentioned the Haren trade in the Reagins section, last sentence.

If Arte stays out of ANY future player decisions, other than signing off on them, that alone will help the future.

So will his not being cheap with areas not seen on the field (scouting, development, etc.).

One more correction Nate:  Bane's last draft was in 2010, a horrible one where ONLY Bedrosian (of the 5 players selected amongst the top 40 picks overall) has ever done anything at the MLB level.   That did skew the solid drafting Bane did prior to 2010.

Question re last sentence: Did Arte's cheapness in hiring good scouts lead ultimately to the bad 2010 draft?   

33 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

One more correction Nate:  Bane's last draft was in 2010, a horrible one where ONLY Bedrosian (of the 5 players selected amongst the top 40 picks overall) has ever done anything at the MLB level.   That did skew the solid drafting Bane did prior to 2010.

Thanks, AO.  Missed that.

I really think you can put the blame truly on one person more than anyone else. I once wrote an article about it and then never published it because it was a bit morose and offensive. His name: Andrew Thomas Gallo, the drunk driving scumbag who killed Nick Adenhart. When you think about all the moves that were made as a result (trades for pitching, etc.) that might not have been done, or deals that could have been made if we didn't make trades, that one less set the organization back 6 years or so. I don't want to retrace it all, but we would be an entirely different club if Gallo had stayed home that night or taken an uber like any responsible human being. Instead, he can rot in jail for life, as I have no respect for drunk drivers.

The next biggest share of the blame was the complete folding and collapse of our international scouting and player development. We got caught in a "scandal" that everyone in the industry was doing (and in many cases still basically do) because unfortunately, for Latin players, there are too many barriers under the current system (I'm a fan of a second draft for international players). In a broader context, it's been a failure to fully invest in scouting and player development as much as we should have, which has affected the team in many ways, both in drafting players and having prospects to trade. I don't get the point of spending tens of millions on one ML player without fully committing a few more million to make sure the players in development become the best they can be. 

After that, hiring Tony Reagins was a big mistake. Although i disagree with this premise, in this industry, so much of the coaching staff's and front office staff's reputation rests on their success on the field (however, this is slowly starting to change, especially with front office people, as baseball analytics are becoming more dominant). Tony Reagins was not going to be respected by the old school guys at the time and didn't have the new wave of analytics that were really just starting to revolutionize the whole industry. So, his hands were tied in too many ways--except for one. He got rid of Eddie Bane, which I believe was a big blow to our scouting department, which as noted above, played a big role in our lack of success. 

Finally, if we are to blame anyone or anything else, it was the failure to fully litigate and win a fraud claim against Gary Matthews Jr. At the time, I said all the clubs should be willing to pony up to money to fight the lawsuit and up to $1 million to pay off the contract (leaving Arte to potentially pickup the remainder of it--around $20 million) to make an absolute statement against PEDs. Instead, they didn't litigate it, and PEDs and PED enhanced stats and players have cost almost every organization millions more. If they had litigated and won the case against GMJr, the Angels would have had a better and stronger case to negate the remaining money on Hamilton's contract. But, because they didn't fight that one as thoroughly as I believe they should have, they had a weaker hand to play against Hamilton.

That would be my take on things in a nutshell.

Good article, @nate. I think as you say, it is a combination of things.

Something you didn't mention is the switch-over after 2009, that last "golden era" season. The Angels lost Lackey, Figgins, and Vlad and didn't adequately replace them. At that point, there were questions around the team's inability to go deep in the playoffs, so the Angels were wanting to diversify their style a bit. But the basic truth is that one era ended and they didn't have the tools to compensate - whether through a farm that proved be far weaker than it has seemed a few years ago, or trades. When 2010 didn't turn out well, the Angels went into panic mode and began a series of moves that turned things from bad to worse - Wells, Pujols, Hamilton - which has led us to where we are today: a payroll burdened by albatross contracts, weak major league talent, and a terrible farm system.

I would also argue that part of the problem of the "Scioscia Era" is that Scioscia has wielded too much power. He's better on the field and in the dugout than in the GM's office.

It always comes back to the Morales ankle break for me. Seems like the franchise has been in a series of misfortunes since then.

The Matthews deal was never really hindering, as the team realized it's mistake and signed Torii Hunter(one of the best signings in club history) the very next offseason.

10 minutes ago, nate said:

Thanks!

I did mention all of those things by the way ;)

I know you mentioned the results, but I don't see you directly address the switch-over from 2009 to 2010, the losses to free agency, and the inability to plug those holes. No biggie, though.