• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquired RHP David Hernandez from the Braves for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Chuck

The Angels are missing Cam Bedrosian, Huston Street, Andrew Bailey, and Mike Morin to injury at the moment, so Hernandez will provide an experienced arm for the bullpen. The 31-year-old had a 1.12 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio over eight innings with the Braves' Triple-A affiliate. He could join the major league roster soon.

Good move. Cheap vet arm who has been relatively solid. Pounders or Guerra probably back to SLC or DFA'ed and Hernandez straight to the pen, I'm guessing.

In AAA this year, 8 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 9 K, and a 1.12 ERA. 

A 4.10 career ERA for a reliever may not be too impressive, but some of that is inflated from his first season as a starter. May do well facing getting more innings in AL West parks against unfamiliar hitters.

IThis is a good move, Hernandez is actually a very good reliever when healthy. It would've been a great move in 2011....

Completely under the radar, but this is becoming a solid pen. Bailey, Parker, Pounders, Petit, Norris, Campos, Banuelos and now Hernandez have all been shrewd moves. 

Eppler is proving you can build a bullpen for practically nothing. Now anout that starting rotation...

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

IThis is a good move, Hernandez is actually a very good reliever when healthy. It would've been a great move in 2011....

Completely under the radar, but this is becoming a solid pen. Bailey, Parker, Pounders, Petit, Norris, Campos, Banuelos and now Hernandez have all been shrewd moves. 

Eppler is proving you can build a bullpen for practically nothing. Now anout that starting rotation...

This rotation isn't as bad as it's looked, nor is the offense as bad as it's been recently. The pen likely isn't this good either, but definitely encouraged by what I've seen. 

Injuries have again been the difference maker.

The newly-acquired David Hernandez is expected to immediately join the Angels' bullpen, reports Chris Cotillo.

It makes sense given the extensive injuries with the Angels' relief corps. Hernandez, 31, had a 3.84 ERA with 9.9 K/9 in 70 relief appearances with the Phillies last season and began this year with a 1.12 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio over eight innings with the Braves' Triple-A affiliate. Bud Norris and Blake Parker appears to be at the top of the depth chart for saves, but Hernandez could be a dark horse option in this brittle bullpen.

44 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Bud Norris and Blake Parker appear to be at the top of the depth chart?

Ouch..and..

" this brittle bullpen" caught my eye also.

Hey, I predicted a breakout year for Norris. You never know, he might take the job and run with it. And it isn't as if Blake Parker has been anything less than dominant.

2 minutes ago, Dugout said:

PTBNL...I think we have several of these trades still up in the air. Can someone remind me on the details of PTBNL. Is there a date stipulation tied to this?

For a AAA vet reliever who couldn't crack the Braves pen, it's likely going to just be a small amount of cash rather than a player. Sometimes even as little as a $1. 

He was scheduled to hit an opt-out in his clause on May 1st, so this could just be the Braves letting him go as a token of goodwill (since they knew he was going straight to the bigs) or for a bit of cash or for a bit of flexibility in a future deal.

9 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

If 2012 Hernandez, 2016 Bedrosian, 2014 Street, 2014 Morin, and 2009 Bailey were all on this Angels team right now, they might have the best bullpen that I have ever seen. And the starters would only need to go 6 innings per start.

What if we had Pujols from 2009 and Trout from 2014 and Babe Ruth of 1927 and Ty Cobb of 1895 and George Washington of 1776...Man we would be unstoppable

10 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

If 2012 Hernandez, 2016 Bedrosian, 2014 Street, 2014 Morin, and 2009 Bailey were all on this Angels team right now, they might have the best bullpen that I have ever seen. And the starters would only need to go 6 innings per start.

Can you add 1991 Bryan Harvey to that list?  He was filthy that year and was the best closer in he game.