• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This team looks special

Mark68

18 hours ago, Stradling said:

I'd be fine with that if you can get a young 3 win right fielder and a young 3-4 win short stop.  This team would need to acquire their replacements because the cupboard is bare in our minors for short stops and outfielders that are anywhere near major league ready. 

huh? So you would only trade Simmons and Calhoun for players who are already as good as them...younger than them.... and cheaper than them? lol. maybe I read that wrong. I really hope I did.

Unless you mean acquiring them through Free agency, which would never happen.

I would trade them for multiple pieces with the major piece in the trade having the potential to be better than they are in the near future.  In my opinion that simply isn't possible in the case of Simmons.  Now you could trade Calhoun and get back a player that in the future could be better.  Those players aren't the problem and are young enough to be part of the solution.  They also aren't really the kind of players that would bring back such a haul that you'd be inclined to move them or their club friendly contracts.  Look at Simmons, what contender needs a short stop for the next four years?  Look at the contenders they all have young, very good short stops: Cubs, Dodgers, Boston, Astros, Rangers (Andrus has a long expensive contract).  I guess maybe the Yankees and they have a good farm.  

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

I would trade them for multiple pieces with the major piece in the trade having the potential to be better than they are in the near future.  In my opinion that simply isn't possible in the case of Simmons.  Now you could trade Calhoun and get back a player that in the future could be better.  Those players aren't the problem and are young enough to be part of the solution.  They also aren't really the kind of players that would bring back such a haul that you'd be inclined to move them or their club friendly contracts.  Look at Simmons, what contender needs a short stop for the next four years?  Look at the contenders they all have young, very good short stops: Cubs, Dodgers, Boston, Astros, Rangers (Andrus has a long expensive contract).  I guess maybe the Yankees and they have a good farm.  

Ah okay. Potential is the key word there. They could definitely get a nice haul for both Simmons and Calhoun.

4 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Ah okay. Potential is the key word there. They could definitely get a nice haul for both Simmons and Calhoun.

Ok, but who gives them a big haul for Simmons at the deadline?  Most really good teams have young very good short stops.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Ok, but who gives them a big haul for Simmons at the deadline?  Most really good teams have young very good short stops.  

Really depends on who is a contender, or thinks they can contend with the addition of Simmons. No one thought the Dbacks would make the trades that they did at the time.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Trading Simmons would force Eppler to go find a replacement SS with the defensive chops he wants and needs to build a ground ball oriented pitching staff so the chances of this happening seem low unless part of the return is said replacement highly regarded defensive SS.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I agree that Calhoun--as much as I love the guy--is more replaceable than Simmons, especially with Hermosillo, Thaiss, Jones, Marsh, Montgomery all 1-5 years away.

This seems more realistic but again you will create a hole that you'll have to fill. Of course getting a top OF prospect back could solve this issue but the fact that the Angels just extended Calhoun points to them retaining him through Trout's window so this too seems unlikely as well.