• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: Owner Arte Moreno says the Angels are staying at Angel Stadium, and he will have more money to spend on the team

AngelsWin.com

18 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

This confirms what many here guessed.  Halos aren't getting weiters, but they'll have room to add someone if contending.  Next year expect some big moves.  I like it! 

It's a good strategy. Make some marginal improvements this year that you are not tied to long term. If things break right, you compete. If not, there is tons of money coming off the books in a year that can be used on a better free agent class. Truthfully, although the results haven't been there, the team has taken the right approach the last two offseasons.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the most important quote:

Moreno says. “If our people feel it’s a player who fits, that’s what we’re going to do,” says the owner. “We’re going to try to win.”

I get that hope is eternal in Spring and all that -- but this, the FG article, and just the overall vibe emanating from the team..   it seems the Angels are again functional.

It had been a while.

35 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I get that hope is eternal in Spring and all that -- but this, the FG article, and just the overall vibe emanating from the team..   it seems the Angels are again functional.

It had been a while.

This offseason---Maybin, Revere, Valbuena, Espinoza, Chavez....no big moves but much better than we've seen since the Hamilton disaster....

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The FA class after 2018 is better than after 2017.

That is when Arte should be ready.

Plenty of interesting FAs this coming off-season still. They can afford to spend during both. And depending on how this year goes, could be a lot of tradeable depth from the MLB level too. Restock some prospects before signing FAs again.

4 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Hasn't he always said things like this?

44 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

If our people feel it’s a player who fits, that’s what we’re going to do,” says the owner. “We’re going to try to win.”

switch 'our people' with 'we' meaning 'I' then yes.  Normally he says 'we' which includes himself.  It's a small thing, but I think he made a very specific point to say it the way he did.  Of course he's gonna have input on any player - especially the ones the require 9 figures to obtain - but I think the big problem was worrying about Reagins being incompetent.  So he intervened.  Then it was worrying about JD doing what he wanted without input.  

The proof is in the pudding.  But Arte is a pretty honest guy.  Probably too honest actually.  If he's gonna allow his baseball people to advise him on who the team should acquire then that is much better than doing it the other way around where he 'advises' his baseball people as to who the team should pursue.  

19 hours ago, totdprods said:

Plenty of interesting FAs this coming off-season still. They can afford to spend during both. And depending on how this year goes, could be a lot of tradeable depth from the MLB level too. Restock some prospects before signing FAs again.

The main ones for a year from now should be Moustakas and a solid late innings reliever.

Then the Halos could well have the best defense in the AL in 2018.

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The main ones for a year from now should be Moustakas and a solid late innings reliever.

Then the Halos could well have the best defense in the AL in 2018.

I do like Moustakas. We will see on the reliever front - Eppler doesn't seem to be very keen on spending any amount of money on relievers so far - there was ample opportunity to do so this year and he didn't even flinch. Next year has a deep SP class too. Obviously we have a lot of SP depth with potential already, and will have Trop and Heaney on the horizon for next year, but still a lot of health/durability concerns on our current SPs. Signing one could free up dealing another for some young hitters so we don't have to rely on that through FA. 

Either way, there are far more routes this team/Eppler can go over the next year or two than I remember us having over the last few.

Another solid business move from Arte.  The stadium is in decent shape (and is a matter of nostalgia for us ancient fans), and I like keeping money in pocket for future moves on the field.  Add in the windfall the team will get after the horrible Hamilton payments stop, and the Club is looking good going forward.