• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can we stop with the Trade Mike Trout Nonsense?

Hubs

I saw another article advocating the trade of Trout. I get that the national and other regional media aren't high on the Angels, despite the fact that the team is basically the same or equivalent players that won 98 games in 2014, (that team had a better pen), but can we stop with the Trade Trout to rebuild?

I went back and looked at the last 30 years of MVP winners in both leagues. I don't know if I got them all, but here are the players that won the MVP before or after being traded. 

Josh Donaldson

Miguel Cabrera

A-Rod

Ken Griffey Jr.

What rebuilding core did any of these teams get for their MVP superstar?

Donaldson brought the A's back Lawrie, Sean Nolin, Kendall Graveman and minor leaguer Franklin Barreto. None of these guys are special, none helped the team improve. Nolin and Barreto could still be good, but it's not looking like a good trade. 

Cabrera (and Willis) brought the Marlins back Andrew Miller (5.89 ERA), Cameron Maybin (.714 OPS), Catcher Mike Rabelo (.202 avg), pitcher Burke Badenhop, and two other minor league pitchers that never made it.

A-Rod brought back two years of Alfonso Soriano and a few years of Joaquin Arias. (3.6 WAR for Soriano).

Griffey brought back Jake Meyer, Antonio Perez, Brett Tomko (4.82 in 2 seasons) and Mike Cameron (18.3 WAR in 4 seasons with Seattle). Meyer and Perez never saw the majors with Seattle.

My Point? None of these trades helped the team that traded the Superstar.

Their have been other trades where a guy was traded and it did help build a team, like Mark Teixieria to the Braves for Andrus, Saltalamacchia, Feliz, Harrison. But that kind of haul is clearly an outlier.

If the Angels feel that they have no shot at re-signing him with 1-2 years left on his contract, they will try and move him, hopefully for a Teixerra type haul.  Of course the flip side is, we might get a Teixerra haul, and get a bunch of lemons.  Right now, he's at 4 years left.  So the speculative noise will only get louder and louder.  And this is the last year where he is relatively cheap.  The contract was backloaded, so the final three years will be at $34 million a season.  Which will get more people to speculate that he will be moved. 

But if it makes you feel better.  Most teams thoughts of trading for him are just wishful thinking.  I would think that for any package of Trout, at miniimum you would be looking for at least 2 top 5 draft pick prospects, in addition to a handful of other prospects (some of which will be top 100 players).  And the teams that are bandied around do not have that, like the Yanks, Orioles, Red Sox, Nationals.  He'd really have to go to somewhere that is worse off than the Angels.  Well, except for the Phillies.  @#$#%$#@#$@#$#%

On the other hand, Pujols' contract is up after 2021 at the latest.   It won't gum up the luxury tax threshold anymore, after that. 

Based on other superstar trades flaming out for those trading the superstar away, I'd keep him and give him pretty much what he wants.   Per year going forward beyond 2020, he won't be getting THAT much more than he gets for 2018 through 2020.  

Somewhere, Trout's probably saying to himself," Why did I signed that contract extension with the Angels before the 2014 season?"

In fairness, the Angels did win 98 games in 2014 but were a disappointment in the postseason after getting swept by the Royals. The last 2 years haven't been pretty for the Angels, missing the postseason both times.

The organization would be foolish not to consider it, if we continue to struggle with the stopgap, fringe players we continue to sign. 

How many times can a top-three market team finish out of the playoffs, before the fans begin to boycott? Chicago doesnt count because Chicago sucks as a town. What else you gonna do?

One playoff appearance in the last seven years. And this year is not looking promising.

The Red Sox have plenty of young talent to deal.