• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres Considering Jered Weaver

ettin

I don't know about the rest of you but the thought of Weave pitching somewhere other than Anaheim troubles me deep down in my soul. I feel like we the fans didn't give him a proper send off either due to how the season sort of abruptly ended.

I wish him the best of luck he will always be one of my favorite modern day Angels: Grit, determination, and the will to win (and he did!)!

Best of luck Jered no matter where you end up!

18 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:
  Hide contents

I accidentally clicked the spoiler button and can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Hide contents

I pressed it again to get rid of it, that plan backfired

I don't know it was kind of fun and dangerous clicking on the 'hidden contents' button, I really didn't know what to expect.

I think Jered Weaver would be a great fit in San Diego -- a pitcher's park and he gets to pitch in the NL which has that OUT spot in the line up -- something that would really help a pitcher like Weaver.

While I'd like to see Weaver pitch in Anaheim again - the chances of that happening are slim -- and it might be better for the Halos and Weaver that he sign with San Diego.

I wish Jered well. He pitched well for us, gave the Halos a hometown discount to extend his contract at a time when his marketability was at its highest.

I will always root for Jered to do well where-ever he lands -- GO DIRTBAGS !!!

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

I think Jered Weaver would be a great fit in San Diego -- a pitcher's park and he gets to pitch in the NL which has that OUT spot in the line up -- something that would really help a pitcher like Weaver.

While I'd like to see Weaver pitch in Anaheim again - the chances of that happening are slim -- and it might be better for the Halos and Weaver that he sign with San Diego.

I wish Jered well. He pitched well for us, gave the Halos a hometown discount to extend his contract at a time when his marketability was at its highest.

I will always root for Jered to do well where-ever he lands -- GO DIRTBAGS !!!

disarcina has finally learned that if he says GO DIRTBAGS! in any post that AO and I will automatically like it..... savvy....

I mentioned Weaver being a fit for the Padres as the season came to a close. Allows him to stay close to him and he gives innings to a team that literally has no starting pitchers with MLB pedigree outside of Chacin. He won't actually help the team win games but they literally need his type of arm who can soak up near 200 innings. 

9 hours ago, Kody Mac said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Post of the year. That was hilarious. 

I may get roasted for this, but I am just telling the truth about my own personal emotional experience as an Angel fan.  I have always appreciated Weaver's grit and success, but he isn't a player I ever got attached to.  Among all the "face of the franchise" players over the 35 yr I have followed the team, he is the probably the least appealing to me personally and arguably probably the most over rated.  He was praised as an ace much more often than actually was an ace.  He was often, but not always, overrated.

Don't confuse these comments as being critical of him or not liking him or not appreciating his actual performance.  He was sometimes an ace, and many times pretty darn good.

Its just that I never quite understood the permanent king treatment.

So I am not going to "miss" Weaver taking the mound as much as most others when he had less appeal to me than most fans in the past and more importantly he is a terrible bet to be part of a winning plan going forward.

(Putting on my helmet getting ready for the stones about to be thrown at me with accusations that I thought he stunk, which is not what I said.)

9 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

I mentioned Weaver being a fit for the Padres as the season came to a close. Allows him to stay close to him and he gives innings to a team that literally has no starting pitchers with MLB pedigree outside of Chacin. He won't actually help the team win games but they literally need his type of arm who can soak up near 200 innings. 

He helped the Angels to twelve wins last season. I'm guessing he'll be more prepared in 2017. I hope the Padres sign him. The NL makes more sense for him. 

36 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I may get roasted for this, but I am just telling the truth about my own personal emotional experience as an Angel fan.  I have always appreciated Weaver's grit and success, but he isn't a player I ever got attached to.  Among all the "face of the franchise" players over the 35 yr I have followed the team, he is the probably the least appealing to me personally and arguably probably the most over rated.  He was praised as an ace much more often than actually was an ace.  He was often, but not always, overrated.

Don't confuse these comments as being critical of him or not liking him or not appreciating his actual performance.  He was sometimes an ace, and many times pretty darn good.

So I am not going to "miss" Weaver taking the mound as much as most others when he had less appeal to me than most fans in the past and more importantly he is a terrible bet to be part of a winning plan going forward.

(Putting on my helmet getting ready for the stones about to be thrown at me with accusations that I thought he stunk, which is not what I said.)

I hated Gary Disarcina and I'm often vocal about it..    I think you're safe.

44 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He may have been over rated by the fans but he was our best pitcher for about a decade and since you have followed the team about as long as I have, have we been able to say that about many people.  I get what you are saying about not being part of a winning plan going forward, but it doesn't mean we should diminish what he did for a team that hasn't had a lot like him over the course of their existence.  I will miss him, but considering how he has pitched the last couple of years, it won't be as hard as losing a guy like Lackey when he was still in his prime.  

I don't hate Weaver at all.  I guess I was too long winded in the first place, but if I had to re-post I would say:

I think I liked Weaver exactly for his literal performance year by year, and at least a few times thought the attention he got wasn't exactly correct for his performance.  He was a legit beast ace like three years.  Lots of other good years in there too, but during those "good" years the rest of the fanbase seemed to be pretending he was closer to Pedro Martinez when often he was closer to Kirk McCaskill than they would like to honestly admit (Kirk McCaskill's 3 or 4 best years were pretty close to some of Weaver's non-ace years).  That's all.

I was just not one of those fans that were totally over-the-top jacked up when it was Weaver's turn in the rotation.  I'm not dumb.  I was happy to hand him the ball, but probably about as excited emotionally for Weaver to pitch as I was for Kelvim Escobar to pitch (when he was healthy).  Cool, good pitcher today.  Good shot at winning.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He may have been over rated by the fans but he was our best pitcher for about a decade and since you have followed the team about as long as I have, have we been able to say that about many people.  I get what you are saying about not being part of a winning plan going forward, but it doesn't mean we should diminish what he did for a team that hasn't had a lot like him over the course of their existence.  I will miss him, but considering how he has pitched the last couple of years, it won't be as hard as losing a guy like Lackey when he was still in his prime.  

I don't think I am diminishing him at all.  I am saying I think my context for who he was to the team feels more accurate than some of the King's treatment he seems to get.  He was a true ace a number of times.  In his non-ace years he was sometimes still considered an ace and I didn't get it.  The truth is the truth.  He was never bad until the end, and I appreciated that.  But as I said in a previous post, sometimes he was more Kirk McCaskill/Kelvim Escobar.  It's all good.  Those are good pitchers.  But maybe to me Weaver is Pamela Anderson. She was certainly pretty hot for a long time, but there were lots of times Pamela Anderson was not nearly as hot as people gave her credit for.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well if you had been here he certainly hasn't been given the kings treatment.  Also, like I said in the Angels existence we have had only a handful of good pitchers that spent ten years with the team.  

I assume you mean on this board?  No, I mean in the general fanbase and the media.  Oh, and you mentioned John Lackey.  On the Angel message board, I certainly wrote my share of posts pointing out that John Lackey was constantly treated like an ace, and he was an ace once.  He might have been the default #1 pitcher in the rotation many years, but the fact is he average 12.75 wins a year.  Yes, I know wins don't mean everything for a starting pitcher, but I point that number out because I think it is a number that would surprise people expecting it to be higher.  Looking at whip and era (or any other more respected statistic than wins) seems to prove the same point.  Lackey wan't my favorite player either.  He was a guy that got a lot of credit for being gritty and a competitor, but there is a fine line between being a competitor and being a jerk teammate staring down other players and yelling and whatever.  I don't remember any third basemen yelling at Lackey for missing on a 3-2 pitch, but he had no problem yelling at a player that made an error.  Overall--overrated and not my favorite.