• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Danny Espinosa from Nats for Kyle McGowin and Austin Adams

bloodbrother

On 12/10/2016 at 7:06 PM, bloodbrother said:

Trout, Calhoun, Maybin, Simmons, Espinosa, Perez. Angels definitely trying to improve overall team defense. Pujols playing 1B is still solid. Escobar is the only butcher in the field at this point and whenever Cron is at 1B

I like the trade.

How about limiting Escobar to 100-120 3B starts, and have Marte/Cowart fill in?   Move Simmons to 2nd spot behind Maybin when Escobar isn't starting.   Otherwise:

Escobar, Maybin, Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, Cron, Espinosa, Bandy/Perez, Simmons

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I like the trade.

How about limiting Escobar to 100-120 3B starts, and have Marte/Cowart fill in?   Move Simmons to 2nd spot behind Maybin when Escobar isn't starting.   Otherwise:

Escobar, Maybin, Trout, Pujols, Calhoun, Cron, Espinosa, Bandy/Perez, Simmons

I might even flip flop the catchers with Simmons and hit them 9th for the chance that Espinosas and Simmons speed is good enough to break up the DP....

7 hours ago, DMVol said:

Except we'd have to trade for Dyson and he wouldn't come cheap....Revere only costs you money....I'd go with Revere....

Revere is a perfectly acceptable choice as well, but Dyson is clearly a step better defensively across all OF positions. Really depends on the acquisition price right? Maybe we have exactly what the Royals want (doubtful) so if there is acceptable price in there go with Dyson and if there is not sign Revere.

On 12/12/2016 at 7:51 AM, zenmaster said:

I don't see how anyone can think this is a bad deal. It's short, he defends 10x better than Gia, hits better than Gia outside average, and hits more homers (or is that a false stat?).

You know the rules. Anybody who we trade for sucks, and anybody who we trade away was too much to give for who we got in return.

6 hours ago, ettin said:

Revere is a perfectly acceptable choice as well, but Dyson is clearly a step better defensively across all OF positions. Really depends on the acquisition price right? Maybe we have exactly what the Royals want (doubtful) so if there is acceptable price in there go with Dyson and if there is not sign Revere.

Yeah I don't want to give up prospects for a part time player, 4th OF. 

Just get a guy like Revere. 

• 1 year later...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/nationals-to-select-kyle-mcgowin.html

Seems like he learned how to pitch in the minor this year 136 IP 3.10 ERA 31 BB 147 SO. However, it's going to be hard to beat the -1.3 WAR the Angels received from Espinosa. Angels also paid Espinosa $5,425,000. Dude should have played with an f'n ski mask on.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

This actually may wind up being Eppler's worst trade to date...not necessarily because Espinosa was so bad, or that McGowin or Adams will be wind up being good, but both would have been useful to have right now. 

Yep, Eppler got torched on that trade.

On 12/11/2016 at 10:53 AM, Scotty@AW said:

I know other people don't think it's a sexy move, but it's pretty exciting to me. We're going to prevent a ton of runs with our defense now, which makes our pitchers better. Not only that, we added a local kid that's going to punch 20 HR in the bottom of our lineup!

Agreed.

44 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Dude!

I will not admit that I'm wrong. It was a good trade at the time IMO. We got what we thought was going to be good defense at 2B and some power and speed on the bases. 

While he was never going to have a good BA/OBP, the problem was that Espinosa just completely forgot how to hit, outside of a few HR's that he popped for us. 

Kyle McGowin was meh until this season.  Can he repeat this season's success?   That was a really low ERA in 8 starts for AAA Syracuse (1.20).

Austin Adams is K'ing half of the free world.   But his control is still very iffy.   WHIP the past two minor league seasons was around 1.40.

It was not a good trade, but it was also one to not bash Eppler too much over.  He is building good pitching depth here anyway.

41 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Kyle McGowin was meh until this season.  Can he repeat this season's success?   That was a really low ERA in 8 starts for AAA Syracuse (1.20).

Austin Adams is K'ing half of the free world.   But his control is still very iffy.   WHIP the past two minor league seasons was around 1.40.

It was not a good trade, but it was also one to not bash Eppler too much over.  He is building good pitching depth here anyway.

Hah, relax man...it's practically a compliment to Eppler that this is his worst trade. 

I'd still like to have these pitchers around as depth, but yes, realistically that's all they will be, and Espinosa was garbage.