• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Danny Espinosa from Nats for Kyle McGowin and Austin Adams

bloodbrother

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We are a signing away from having the best defense in all of baseball. That can go a long way to helping out the pitching.

Health is the biggest thing that will help the pitching. I'm gonna constantly be worried whenever Richards takes the mound considering dude has a partially torn UCL in his pitching elbow

Just now, bloodbrother said:

Health is the biggest thing that will help the pitching. I'm gonna constantly be worried whenever Richards takes the mound considering dude has a partially torn UCL in his pitching elbow

Oh I know that, but since we aren't getting much in the way of pitching help this offseason, may as well make the defense as tight as possible. 

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

Good glove. Guy can't really hit a baseball. I remember watching him in the playoffs this past year and he was pretty much an automatic strike out. The homeruns will be nice though.

Yep -- thats how I view him.   But he can milk some walks play defense and isn't a slug.   There are positives but those numbers vs RHP.. ugh...

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

This isn't outrageous or anything, but Espinosa really isn't that good. He strikes out a lot and doesn't get on base. It will be fun to watch him play second but this is a marginal upgrade on what we had at second last year.

What was the cumulative WAR from second last year? Wasn't it like, -0.6? I'd say a 2+ game swing is more than "marginal". 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

What was the cumulative WAR from second last year? Wasn't it like, -0.6? I'd say a 2+ game swing is more than "marginal". 

Steamer projects him at replacement level. I would be marginally more optimistic but a one win season from him would be a good outcome.

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But really though can we just have a moment to talk about how insane the defense up the middle will be next year

Really!  With Cron emerging as an average defender, the only position we won't feature a solid defender is third base, and even then, there are some balls that Yunel gets to that very few other 3B can reach.  It's just his ridiculously inaccurate arm that kills us. 

The name of the game next year is run prevention.  Eppler went on to acquire a series of pitchers who are pretty much reaching their make or break moments in their respective careers, with Campos, Banuelos, Pounders, maybe even Smith and Meyer.  And he's set them up for success by putting up the best defensive unit in baseball out there to support them. 

Not just that, suddenly...quietly even, our offense is beginning to take shape.  Adding Maybin and Espinosa to the bottom of the lineup makes us a deeper, more dangerous team than last year.  

Now about that bullpen.....

His splits are not very good. He kills lefties but can't hit righties. Adding a platoon guy instead of Pennington would be a nice get. I wouldn't want a straight platoon but maybe someone like Drew would be a nice add. 

Penningtons splits against righties as a lefty are worse than Espinosa's marks. Even though Espinosa is clearly better against lefties as a righty.

i don't hate this but I wonder if it makes Pennington expendable. They picked up a SS in the rule V and Cowart is cheaper as an infield backup.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not saying he will be anything special...  I just wanted to know if you had better info than what I had looked at a few days ago.   

Yep. I suppose it's worth remembering his defense should be better than the projections, because he'll be playing an easier position full time.

The more I think about this though, the more I feel Espinosa should be a platoon player rather than a full time regular.

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

His own?

Yunel has a quick first step and his lateral movements are good for a third baseman.  His footwork is choppy, but that's to be expected from a guy learning a new position (it's two years now though).  His glove is below average,no way around that but it's his throws that kill us.  He'll airmail them or not put enough on them, no consistency.  I thought when he came over that he'd get more comfortable and turn into a pretty decent defensive third baseman, but now I don't think that's in the cards.  

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Penningtons splits against righties as a lefty are worse than Espinosa's marks. Even though Espinosa is clearly better against lefties as a righty.

i don't hate this but I wonder if it makes Pennington expendable. They picked up a SS in the rule V and Cowart is cheaper as an infield backup.

Read an article which mentioned DE being better vs LHP but then looked at the numbers...not sure Espinosa's career #'s are that much different....he probably gets a chance to play everyday....

Last year the numbers weren't that different. He really tailed off in the 2nd half. But his career splits are heavily in favor of his batting as a righty versus left handers. .781 career OPS against lefties versus .660 against righties

If they got a lefty bat to "platoon" or as a bench bat that could take away his AB against tough righties that would be ideal. And it would be a Pennington replacement because Espinosa is serviceable as a SS.