• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Awards Week Thread

Homebrewer

Awards week kicks off this afternoon at 3pm with ROY..

American League

American League

Gary Sanchez (Yankees), Michael Fulmer (Tigers) and Tyler Naquin (Indians) are finalists for the AL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Monday.

National League
National League

Corey Seager (Dodgers), Kenta Maeda (Dodgers) and Trea Turner (Nationals) are finalists for the NL Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Monday.

I'd agree in that I would give it to Sanchez myself, but Michael Fulmer seemed to have been favored more over Sanchez, even Gary Sanchez but up Rookie of the Year caliber numbers in just 2 months. In most years, having the stats Sanchez had over the course of a whole year would have been enough to have a shot at RotY, seems a bit weird to penalize him for doing it too fast.

Gary Sanchez had 6 more HRs and 1 less RBI, as well as a slightly higher AVG, OBP, SLG, and OPS, then fellow finalist Tyler Naquin, in LESS than half the amount of games.

Although Seager  won, deservingly so, given his offense at the position he plays (and surprisingly solid defense), I'm a big Turner fan. Kind of reminds me last year's AL ROY race where Correa's standout offense beat Lindor's all-around game (Even though Lindor got a whole win higher than Correa in as many games). Not to say that Correa and Seager aren't great all around themselves. Turner wasn't very far off from Seager either, his 2016 season projects at 7.3 WAR in 162 games. .340 BA, .567 SLG (good for 5th best in the majors if qualified) and havoc inducing speed. That's pretty damn dynamic right there. Let's not forget that he is a shortstop who's versatility has him playing another key position in Center field. So yeah, an argument could be made for Turner, who if he had played shortstop could have produced more WAR relative to playing time than Seager. Can't complain about Seager either, just wanted to make a case for Turner.

AMERICAN LEAGUE
American League

Buck Showalter (Orioles), Jeff Banister (Rangers) and Terry Francona are finalists for the AL Manager of the Year Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Tuesday.

NATIONAL LEAGUE
National League

Dusty Baker (Nationals), Joe Maddon (Cubs) and Dave Roberts (Dodgers) are finalists for the NL Manager of the Year Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Tuesday.

Cy Young Awards

AMERICAN LEAGUE
American League

Justin Verlander (Tigers), Corey Kluber (Indians) and Rick Porcello (Red Sox) are finalists for the AL Cy Young Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Wednesday.

NATIONAL LEAGUE
National League

Kyle Hendricks (Cubs), Max Scherzer (Nationals) and Jon Lester (Cubs) are finalists for the NL Cy Young Award, which will be unveiled live on MLB Network on Wednesday.

Dave Roberts??? Wait just a minute....WTF.

I thought managers had to have an extensive coaching and managing resume before they could be effective at the major league level.

COACHING CAREER
• Enters his second season coaching at any level after serving as special assistant to baseball operations for the Padres in 2010. 
• Named to the Major League staff as first base coach on 10/18/10.