• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OK, now that's finished - onto Hot Stove season!

Angelsjunky

My offseason wishlist:

- Mike Trout wins AL MVP

- Angels acquire a decent left fielder (Carlos Gomez, Dexter Fowler, etc)

- Angels figure out 2B (Walker would be great, but I can live with a Drew-Cowart platoon)

- Angels sign a starter (Hill is my choice; would also be happy with a risk/reward player like Cashner, Anderson, or Buchholz...just so no to Hellickson)

- Angels sign a top-flight reliever (Holland)

- Angels sign a couple more solid relievers (Feliz, Bailey)

- Oh yeah, don't trade Jones or Thaiss, preferably not Marsh or Hermosillo either

There, I'm happy.

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

He's already got a bigger budget that Arte would give him.

if, in some imaginary world, the only thing keeping theo from the angels was arte withholding the necessary budget, then that would be the end of my angel fandom. but since it's not, i'll just go on living life.

I guess this proves the formula is that the best way to a Series Championship is to tank like crazy until you get some really good young players developed through the draft, save your cash, then spend like a drunken sailor when you need about 6-8 veterans to fill out your roster to plug the remaining holes and provide leadership.  If you can suffer for a long time, then when you get close to winning the story is enhanced, some people will feel sorry for you, and the accomplishment seems greater when you win it all.

3 hours ago, ukyah said:

only in baseball, do fans say this. hey arte, you go ahead and spend like the fucking yankees and dodgers. get on with your bad self.

If Arte wants to spend a bunch of money on mediocre free agents that's his prerogative. I'd prefer they hold off on big spending, but if that's the route they take, i hope they spend wisely.

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

I guess this proves the formula is that the best way to a Series Championship is to tank like crazy until you get some really good young players developed through the draft, save your cash, then spend like a drunken sailor when you need about 6-8 veterans to fill out your roster to plug the remaining holes and provide leadership.  If you can suffer for a long time, then when you get close to winning the story is enhanced, some people will feel sorry for you, and the accomplishment seems greater when you win it all.

I don't really understand the bitterness here. What the Cubs have done over the past five seasons should be the blueprint to success for teams in shitty situations to become successful.

Regarding Weaver, obviously the Angels won't give him a qualifying offer, which is set around $17M I believe, and no team would be willing to lose a draft pick to sign him. That means that Jered either re-signs with the Angels for a few million or has to wait until June to play for someone else. Is that correct?

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Regarding Weaver, obviously the Angels won't give him a qualifying offer, which is set around $17M I believe, and no team would be willing to lose a draft pick to sign him. That means that Jered either re-signs with the Angels for a few million or has to wait until June to play for someone else. Is that correct?

No, he's simply a free agent, free to sign with whomever he wants that offers him a contract.

I'd focus on exercising Escobar's option (trade bait in July?), a non-crazy expensive starting pitcher, a couple of relievers (including one solid backend guy), at least someone like Drew to platoon with Cowart at 2B, and also at least someone to platoon with Marte in LF.

No more Penningtons, Navas, or Gentrys!