• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

$184MM Heyward Benched

ABC

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yea, except he is better defensively than Calhoun and he makes the team better.  I like his chances of being a 3-4 WIN player each year for the next 4 years.  

Could you imagine how bat sh*t this place would be if Arte had signed 27 year old Heyward to $184M and he gave us less than 32 year old Hamilton gave us in his first season as an Angel. He's been incredibly bad this season and the Cubs have to be concerned. It's a blessing that Arte didn't sign Heyward because after his pathetic 2016 season Arte would probably slam his wallet shut for good. 

19 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd still take Heyward. 

for that amount of money? hellz no 

his cap hit next year is $28.16M 

he gets a $20M signing bonus, payable in $5M annual installments from 2024-2027. If he opts out in 2018, the bonus is paid immediately.

Edited by Lou

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not saying this to defend sosh, but bench him for who? We werent exactly stacked. Cowgill maybe? But off the top of my head he was out after the HBP that year.

Albert Almora, Kyle Schwarber, and Jorge Soler is who..  oh wait....   Regardless of the lack of options dumb f Scioscia chose to go with Hamilton instead.    Or maybe he couldn't overcome dumb f Dipoto. 

7 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Could you imagine how bat sh*t this place would be if Arte had signed 27 year old Heyward to $184M and he gave us less than 32 year old Hamilton gave us in his first season as an Angel. He's been incredibly bad this season and the Cubs have to be concerned. It's a blessing that Arte didn't sign Heyward because after his pathetic 2016 season Arte would probably slam his wallet shut for good. 

Yes he had a horrible year.  I just happen to believe that a 28 year old Heyward is a helluva a lot closer to the 6 WAR player he was the two previous seasons than the 1 WAR player he was this season.  I could be wrong, but my guess is he will be much better next year than anyone we put in left.  If he was 34 or 35 and had that type of season I would be more worried, but he's 27.  He will bounce back.  

Well, Heywards swing is all messed up.(added a lil bit of additional stress due to his contract no doubt)!...His ass is going one way, front side going the other and his head and eyes are rolling around like jello... Next year he will roll in less worried and will just play ball. I mean he's a young guy that entered through the ATL then off to a larger fan base larger market into St Louis then full Third highest Market in Chicago.

He will figure it out!

I definitely like his chances better than the ex-addict/mentally weak Josh Hamilton! 

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'm Last year he was, but that's the only season he has been. 

He didn't have one good month this season and the Cubs committed a lot of money for Heyward. If we had signed Heyward as part of the "Build around Trout" plan, Eppler's head would've been on the chopping block early for adding another failed signing to the list of failed signings.

23 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Heyward might now be the worst contract in MLB

I don't know about that...... CJ Wilson's 29M over the last year and a half without throwing an inning is pretty horrid......And probably the worst per annual~ At least the Cubs get something in return! Even if it's speed and defense!

And yes...Even at 17M for 2013 & 2014 Josh Hamilton's 17M per for .250/.260 21bombs/10bombs and 79rbi/44rbi was a better contract than 29M for NADDA NIBS!.....

I mean really..... 29M for not even a single inning or even 1 out!!!!  Is far worse than even 20M for WEAVE throwing 79mph at least he contributed 30+ starts, 180 innings and 12 wins.

Which is why I probably don't really get too upset over $$$ anymore. I mean overall it's pretty stupid anyway. Billionaire owners giving Millionaire players $$$ to play a game for entertainment purposes to take our what maybe (5 or 6 figure salary/household income per year)? Overall, it's almost as bad as Politics!...

7 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

He didn't have one good month this season and the Cubs committed a lot of money for Heyward. If we had signed Heyward as part of the "Build around Trout" plan, Eppler's head would've been on the chopping block early for adding another failed signing to the list of failed signings.

Go ahead and think that a 27-year-old player is done and won't rebound. I will go on record and say he will bounce back and be atleast a 3 to 4 win player over the course of the rest of his contract. 

Heyward's WAR (1.5) last year is smack dab between Jon Jay (1.1) and Josh Reddick (2.6) and neither would cost $180m. 

I love Heyward and all that he brings and supported signing him last year, but that contract would have been devastating - even with his age and the law of averages meaning he will be much more productive in the future. He will get better, but that contract and how it backfired would mean the Angels would be gun shy and would do jack-squat to address any other needs this offseason that cost more than a million bucks. Same reason why I don't think they're likely to make a signing for Cespedes. 

Those guys may be a significant improvement over what we've had, but the damage their contracts would cause should they flop isn't worth whatever benefit they bring over a cheaper player, not with our current payroll structure.

14 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yea, except he is better defensively than Calhoun and he makes the team better.  I like his chances of being a 3-4 WIN player each year for the next 4 years.  

As bad as played last season, he is still an all star compared to our left field production.