• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto gets the last laugh

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

You know, Claude, the Obama administration has deported more people than the last three presidents combined. You could be enjoying Canadian health care in the near future if someone were to lodge a complaint.

:P

That's only because the Obama administration counts people stopped at the boarder as deportation.  Like all oh his policies his propaganda is far better than reality.  However this topic is more suited for different forum.

Seattle is ahead of us in the standings. So is pretty much everyone else. We knew going into the season that nothing meaningful was done to improve the offense, which had trouble scoring runs a year ago. Add a dreadful bullpen, a load of injuries to the starters, and the end result has been all too predictable. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Fo be fair, dipos gonna have to be given a few more years up there until we can judge him. Same as eppler down here. But agree with the first part totally. Anyone would look great after reagins. The more i look back though, i dont know if reagins was as bad as we made him out to be.

AJ makes a very good point. If we praise dipo for tropeano (which we absolutely should), you cant ignore baldoquin...not just rhat hes not good, but how we blew our wad on him and cant go outside the market for a few years because of it. Stupid, stupid. All the other moves are pretty pedestrian, imo. Trumbo was good at the time, walden bad. Mathis trade good, stud pitching prospect i cant remember for kubitza bad. Street great, grilli great, rest of bullpen horrible. Jepsen bad. Etc etc. None really boosted us anything crazy, none (bullpen aside) sank us. We can blame arte and sosh i guess, but r years is probably a long enough leash to at least replace the bourjos, jepsen, chatwood types we had in the minors or just promoted  when jerry got here.

The Baldoquin thing is just so bad considering it was the same signing period when Yoan Moncada was available and they didn't even bother. They continue to feel that disaster with them being penalized and unable to sign any premium international talent for not just this season but also next. Yuck

Every GM since Stoneman has had unrealistic parameters.  All of them did some good things.  All of them did some bad things. The good was that both Reagins and Dipoto did a decent job of holding the main club together and making them competitive.  Frankly, that was priority one of what either was asked to do.  Both had key missteps show up on their watch however.  Yet they are likely attributable to Arte.  The Wells trade, and the Hamilton signing.  The unrealistic component mostly stems from asking either of them to sustain some level of player development.  

Reagins fired Bane and directed a draft with 5 first round picks into a failure.  His drafts to follow were equally as bad.  He had no budget for international spending so that's not his fault.  But the only thing that he really controlled the outcome of was the draft.

Dipoto was also under Arte's thumb.  He had some control over player moves and others not so much.  His international spending was also hampered, and his one foreign signing of note was a failure, but there has been a mild influx of low level foreign talent over the last 2-3 years that will pay some dividends.  However, he also failed at the draft.  His philosophy of bringing in high floor players has been a disaster.  

The main thing on the watch of either of those guys is the domestic draft and both failed.  

Eppler has been given similar parameters with even less leeway for the major league club early on.  That won't last as some money is freed up, but my guess is that Arte will still have a fair amount to say in regards to spending.  He is currently limited on the foreign side and by the time things loosen up, we will likely see a draft in play so he won't have any financial advantage over other teams.  So for Eppler as well, it is going to boil down to how he and his crew perform in the domestic draft.  

It's really the only thing that any of our GM's have had control over.  If I were Billy, I know where my efforts would be.     

8 hours ago, The God of Runs said:

Mariners are 4 games above .500 and have an outside chance at a playoffs spot.  

Angels are 13 games below .500 and on their way to a protected draft pick. 

Coincidence?  Yes, injuries have been a significant factor for the Halos poor play. Now, I'm not anti-Scioscia, but, I do think that the team may be best suited for a different voice leading the troops.  The team seems to have tuned him out and I'm getting tired of having to turn the page. How many pages are in this book anyway?  I will always be grateful for him leading the franchise to the only championship.  But, It's time for a new skipper. 

so is the team lousy because of injuries or because you believe they've tuned out sosh? if it's the latter, how much better do you this team would be if they were "listening" to him?

btw, these are not the same thing.

14 hours ago, The God of Runs said:

Coincidence?  Yes, injuries have been a significant factor for the Halos poor play. Now, I'm not anti-Scioscia, but, I do think that the team may be best suited for a different voice leading the troops.  The team seems to have tuned him out and I'm getting tired of having to turn the page. How many pages are in this book anyway?  I will always be grateful for him leading the franchise to the only championship.  But, It's time for a new skipper. 

OMG what a fresh topic!    BTW... you forgot the part about how JD played a large role in getting us where we are.  Him, Arte and MS...   And you can likely lay the biggest blame on Arte for creating a work environment where neither MS or JD seemed capable of flourishing in.

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think you guys hit, or implied, the key of the Dipoto mystique: he had an air of confidence and intelligence that didn't translate on the field. To put it another way, he talked a good talk--his whole rap about gradually retooling for the future while maintaining competitiveness in the present--but couldn't seem to actually do it. Plus the other problem is that he didn't really seem to have a good sense of talent: Ward and Baldoquin come most readily to mind.

Dude could talk -- the man poured honey water down our throats and make us believe in rainbows and unicorns.   I don't believe the Angels have ever had a better speaker, or more likeable person in the GM position.  That ability to connect with people bought him a lot of leeway, as did being the Anti-Soscia.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dude could talk -- the man poured honey water down our throats and make us believe in rainbows and unicorns.   I don't believe the Angels have ever had a better speaker, or more likeable person in the GM position.  That ability to connect with people bought him a lot of leeway, as did being the Anti-Soscia.

Additionally: He got Pujols and Wilson in one winter's meeting. Remember: Angels fans were DESPERATE to sign the big name that off-season after being repeatedly spurned. 

On 8/7/2016 at 5:55 PM, The God of Runs said:

The team seems to have tuned him out? ???

How do you come to this conclusion? 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind splitting the series with them.  They are fighting for a playoff spot we simply aren't.  So I was just wondering if Dipoto is laughing still.  Did he chuckle when our team he helped turn to shit beat them twice this week?   Sure they are better than us this year but Jerry will ruin their farm and at some point won't be doing anything better than he did here.