• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

To all the folks who thought we shouldn't sign Daniel Murphy

11 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Well, his history obviously showed he was due for a .360 batting average, while walking 23 times, at some point in his career

Seriously, right?!. Why have a .295 lifetime hitter. Why would we possibly want that kind of 2nd baseman on our team for 13 mill a year?  We got Gio. If he came here he'd probably suck anyways. 

Thanks Pujols.

1 minute ago, CaliAngel said:

Seriously, right?!. Why have a .295 lifetime hitter. Why would we possibly want that kind of 2nd baseman on our team for 13 mill a year?

They may have wanted him but, since they weren't signing big contracts last off season, he wasn't an option.  You could say the same thing about Cespedes...but they weren't signing anyone

17 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Well, his history obviously showed he was due for a .360 batting average, while walking 23 times, at some point in his career

Lol

To be fair, i really wanted either him or walker. Was let down to not get either.  I blame this board, where our own trade scenarios are often far rosier than the front office.

You are very right Oz, it was stupid of you not to recognize a hitter who had the potential of having a hot season just by watching him in 2015. Or 2014. Or 13. Or...do I need to go on? Goes to show the lack of fundamental talent you have visually watching ballplayers. I'll be sure to ignore yours from now on.

BA's since 2008:

Yup we could absolutely not use that kind of offense from our second baseman the past couple years at all no way.

Whether or not we could use it is irrelevant.  Would I have liked him on the team?  Sure but we needed LF more and that didn't happen either.  Now, WAS is benefitting from an outlier season and is one few players over 30 outperforming their contract.  Props to them...

Just now, CaliAngel said:

You are very right Oz, it was stupid of you not to recognize a hitter who had the potential of having a hot season just by watching him in 2015. Or 2014. Or 13. Or...do I need to go on? Goes to show the lack of fundamental talent you have visually watching ballplayers. I'll be sure to ignore yours from now on.

BA's since 2008:

Yup we could absolutely not use that kind of offense from our second baseman the past couple years at all no way.

Yes, batting average. That's a brilliant way to judge players - clearly I'll just defer to you when it comes to evaluating players from now on. His OPS+ this season is 34 points higher than it has ever been. His OPS is 147 points higher than it had ever been. He is already at 4 WAR, even though he's only above above 2 one other time. Even in your beloved batting average, this is still his best season by 36 points. You're lying if you actually say you thought anything even close to this was possible from him, so don't do that.

If you repeatedly sign 30-year old bat-first middle infielders who are really bad in the field to multi-year contracts, it's going to end badly more often than not. Murphy has been really good so far. But you didn't see this coming, so don't insult our intelligence by suggesting you did and don't be a complete f**kwit while you do it.

Oz why are you acting like you've got sand in your vagina cause I thought we should have signed the dude.

Did I forsee him batting .350 this season? Hell no! Is he a guy I wanted on the Angels who I thought could make the team better? Hell yeah!

Right, let's disregard a players 7 year lifetime batting average of .288 up till this year? Dumb. Triple stamp a double stamp dumb.

I can't spend the time to sit here and entertain you beyond the fact that the board wanted Murphy during October 2015 and for some reason soured on him cause he had a rough World Series despite his history of being a guy who knew how to swing and be just as good a second baseman we've had since Howie left.

And if Arte is going to pay a douche like Hamilton $22+ Million a year not to even be on the team, it'd be nice to have a guy like Murphy who would actually be a driving force on the team for about half of the cost.

I don't care about Daniel Murphy.  I just want to know who is going to be available next year and will have a great 2017-2021, preferably someone not showing any signs of greatness, and who is going to be cheap, real cheap.  Guarantee me that person, and I promise I will be his biggest fanboy ever.

Wait, didn't the team just trade for a young pitcher who is cheap for the next six years, and who was once thought to be a top prospect and top of the order pitcher?  Possibly that's the next Daniel Murphy type, maybe not.

This is why I like Eppler's trades with Minnesota and Chicago for that matter.  Sometimes you have to gamble that you might strike it big on someone unexpected by previous results.  Small incremental additions don't often get you to the big stage.  In truth you need some of both types of additions.

13 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Oz why are you acting like you've got sand in your vagina cause I thought we should have signed the dude.

Did I forsee him batting .350 this season? Hell no! Is he a guy I wanted on the Angels who I thought could make the team better? Hell yeah!

Right, let's disregard a players 7 year lifetime batting average of .288 up till this year? Dumb. Triple stamp a double stamp dumb.

I can't spend the time to sit here and entertain you beyond the fact that the board wanted Murphy during October 2015 and for some reason soured on him cause he had a rough World Series despite his history of being a guy who knew how to swing and be just as good a second baseman we've had since Howie left.

And if Arte is going to pay a douche like Hamilton $22+ Million a year not to even be on the team, it'd be nice to have a guy like Murphy who would actually be a driving force on the team for about half of the cost.

Wow, there is a lot of stupidity in this post. And I responded the way I did because you were being a total douche. Anyway, carry on. I'll just leave it at that.

8 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Man, you kind of missed the forest for the trees here...    I don't think anyone disregarded his 7 year batting lines, I think they saw the 109 OPS+ etc etc.. (all of it in the NL), and didn't think those were the sorts of numbers you lose a pick for.   Also -- basing future results on batting average ...  well, your whole dumb stamp thing applies.

But grats on having wanted a guy that is doing well.  Amazing job.   Where would you have slotted him in the rotation?

Even if they had signed Murphy they wouldn't be in the playoff hunt so I'm glad they saved the money.

Also they would have lost their first round pick and the slot money associated with it. The savings we used on that first round pick helped us sign the rest of the class.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2015 at 0:55 AM, CaliAngel said:

Did that play cost them the game? I think that play cost them the game.

Lots of honky donk stuff going on tonight, and letting a ball go under your glove there is one of a few that is unacceptable.

I think the Murphy hard-on is over for me.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

a career slightly above average hitter who plays poor defense and had a comp pick attached to him.  Even if we were going to spend last winter, it would not have been on Murphy.  

But yeah, he'd have been a nice addition.  

Murphy was a good player to bet on. In his prime age years coming off some a stretch where he was playing out of his mind. Some guys improve in their prime.