• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reasons to watch the Angels & carry optimism forward

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Just curious.  Where did Scioscia say that?

These two quotes were from May of 2016 on Mlb.com

"He can be an everyday third baseman in the big leagues," Scioscia said. "He can pick it at third base, and if his bat continues to grow as much as it's grown in the last couple years, he's got a chance to be an everyday third baseman. I think that's his upside first and foremost."

"He's figured some things out," Scioscia said this week. "The ball's definitely coming off of his bat hotter, and I think he's made strides to be more of an offensive player."

You could take these as positive quotes, but Scioscia is going to say the right things.

To me these quotes make it clear - the "and if" and "be more" - that Scioscia doesn't think Cowart has the offensive ability to go with his glove.

Plus he's never been called up since these quotes were made...it's always Marte.

2 minutes ago, ksangel said:

"He can be an everyday third baseman in the big leagues," Scioscia said. "He can pick it at third base, and if his bat continues to grow as much as it's grown in the last couple years, he's got a chance to be an everyday third baseman. I think that's his upside first and foremost."

"He's figured some things out," Scioscia said this week. "The ball's definitely coming off of his bat hotter, and I think he's made strides to be more of an offensive player."

You could take these as positive quotes, but Scioscia is going to say the right things.

To me these quotes make it clear - the "and if" and "be more" - that Scioscia doesn't think Cowart has the offensive ability to go with his glove.

Plus he's never been called up since these quotes were made...it's always Marte.

This is just.... dumb. Look, I don't know that Cowart isn't Matt Dominguez (though hopefully he won't just suddenly suck there like Dominguez), but Cowart is a really good defender, and I just don't think Marte is some kind of revelation at the plate. 

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

I am sorry but how the hell did you interpret those quotes to "bat doesn't play on a mlb level"?   I interpret it as he will be a major league hitter based on continual imorovement.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am sorry but how the hell did you interpret those quotes to "bat doesn't play on a mlb level"?   I interpret it as he will be a major league hitter based on continual imorovement.

Storm, how you interpret it all depends on what you want the answer to be, LOL.

17 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:
  • Mike Trout (duh)
  • Tyler Skaggs
  • Matt Shoemaker
  • Cam Bedrosian in the role of the closer
  • Andrelton Simmons' defense & encouraging signs w/ the bat
  • Watching Pujols break home run records as an Angel
  • Jett Bandy 
  • The return of C.J. Cron
  • What Alex Meyer brings
  • Yunel Escobar's hunt for a batting title (slim chance, but good to see him in the top 5)
  • The development of Choi & Marte
  • Saying goodbye to all-time Angels & Giants greats, Lincecum & Weaver
  • Garrett Richards elbow (crosses fingers)
  • Hoping the Angels go on a run and finish ahead of Dipoto's Mariners
  • Kaleb Cowart's continued success as a prospect
  • Our prospects & 2016 amateur draftees seemed to have given the farm a BIG BOOST going forward! 

Cowart is a career prospect.

19 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

This is just.... dumb. Look, I don't know that Cowart isn't Matt Dominguez (though hopefully he won't just suddenly suck there like Dominguez), but Cowart is a really good defender, and I just don't think Marte is some kind of revelation at the plate. 

Well Scioscia doesn't agree ...for Marte is getting his chance with the Angels while Cowart is at AAA.

Marte never hit over .271 in the minors and isn't the defender Cowart is...so explain why he's getting so much playing time and Choi also.

17 hours ago, tomsred said:

Storm, how you interpret it all depends on what you want the answer to be, LOL.

So you think I don't want Cowart to succeed?  That's not true at all.  I don't understand why Marte and Choi are ahead of him especially considering he's a better defender than either of them.

Cowart should be playing ahead of both of considering his 2015 and 2016 seasons at AAA and considering that neither Marte or Choi have produced any better in the minors.

To me it's clear Scioscia doesn't believe Cowart's bat plays at the major league level. What else does he have to prove??

17 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Well Scioscia doesn't agree ...for Marte is getting his chance with the Angels while Cowart is at AAA.

Marte never hit over .271 in the minors and isn't the defender Cowart is...so explain why he's getting so much playing time and Choi also.

Marte is given a chance because he hits Homers and Kaleb only hits them on rare occasions.

Marte needs to stop going after everything hit to his right while playing 1B and cover first. He needs to let the second baseman get those especially with a shift on.

Angels are going to lean on the offense in 2017. Doubtful that Cowart gets a opportunity to play. 

The offense works with Escobar leading off ... hopes of him getting traded, playing second,  or platoon roles are just hopeful thinking. 

We are just one impact bat away from being a top 5 offense in baseball for 2017.

23 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Angels are going to lean on the offense in 2017. Doubtful that Cowart gets a opportunity to play. 

The offense works with Escobar leading off ... hopes of him getting traded, playing second,  or platoon roles are just hopeful thinking. 

We are just one impact bat away from being a top 5 offense in baseball for 2017.

This is %100 true. We really are pretty good on offense. There are a surprising number of good options for left field (Reddick, Saunders, Fowler, heck even John Jay) and Justin Turner might be a good option as well. Hell, even Steve Pierce could have a good role on this club. The only turd in this punch bowl is that the Angels need about 4-6 pitchers (2-3 starters, at least 1 good bullpen option) and I just don't know that we can get the caliber of pitchers we need. Makes me wonder if someone like Cron could be on the move;there is more power in the market than there are arms, and we NEEED arms. 

On 8/4/2016 at 9:43 AM, ksangel said:

So you think I don't want Cowart to succeed?  That's not true at all.  I don't understand why Marte and Choi are ahead of him especially considering he's a better defender than either of them.

Cowart should be playing ahead of both of considering his 2015 and 2016 seasons at AAA and considering that neither Marte or Choi have produced any better in the minors.

To me it's clear Scioscia doesn't believe Cowart's bat plays at the major league level. What else does he have to prove??

It's not that we don't think you want Cowart to succeed.  It's that you want to blame Scioscia for him not being on the major league roster.

I am not sure if you know it or not but it is Eppler who decides who is on the active roster.  Not Scioscia.  Or do you believe Scioscia the covert GM?

On 8/3/2016 at 0:10 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think a good point in the list is weaver. Yeah, he's ugly this year to watch. But he's been a legend in terms of angels. Wish he'd go out on a better note, but I think he's earned his due in terms of clapping as he leaves the building.

Weaver right now gives the Angels 10x more of a chance to win than Timmy does. That's not saying too much as Lincecum is terrible, but I still am able to watch Weaver pitch but have to turn the channel after 1 inning of Tim's pitching. lt's just too painful.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

It's not that we don't think you want Cowart to succeed.  It's that you want to blame Scioscia for him not being on the major league roster.

I am not sure if you know it or not but it is Eppler who decides who is on the active roster.  Not Scioscia.  Or do you believe Scioscia the covert GM?

If Cowart could increase his power numbers it would help to get him to the bigs sooner. I think the reason Kaleb is still in AAA is he because he hits few HRs. Marte doesn't hit for a higher average than Cowart, but he has explosive power. Choi has HR power also but his average is miniscule, but he has started to hit some bombs.

I wish they would give Cowart a shot, he is learning to play some more position in Salt Lake. He has played 2B, 1B, and LF to go along with possibly the best glove at 3B in the entire minor leagues. Every time Yunel boots a ball or throw wildly to first, I wish Cowart was at 3B. With him at 3B and Simmons at 2B the opposition would have a hard time hitting a ball through the left side of the infield. Oh Well.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:59 PM, ksangel said:

I guess you and read the same thing and got a very different meaning from it. The and/if his bats continues to improves as it has seems to me to be an acknowledgement of his of improvements in his hitting and he feels like he may be close to breaking into the majors as soon as we trade Yunel or he leaves as a free agent.