• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The U.S. just murdered sixty civilians in Syria

The ME is a no win situation. Be involved, upset with outcome. Stay out, be upset with outcome.

The hope is a bosnia style situation...the probablity (which is a guarantee if we stay out fully) is another afghanistan. (Which some tend to ignore what grew out of there post soviets). The middle ground is another iran (which at this point is better than the current) or a yemen (which is on its way towards iraq/syria).

I wonder how much could be accomplished if a dialog was worked out between iran and the saudis...

The thing is, ocho, we've never tried staying out - we've always been involved. We've never tried just pulling out and seeing if they can figure shit out themselves.

Now I'm not saying we shouldn't be involved at all, but what if our involvement was only with humanitarian aid? It would probably take a generation or two, but maybe eventually people of the Middle East wouldn't associate the US with bombing hospitals but with building them.

Well, put it like this. We ignored afghanistan when it fell to the taliban (which was isis before isis was cool). Weve ignored yemen, really had no hand in syria (regardless of what people think, our influence in places like that is next to nothing), most of noth africa, etc. All of those places are the badlands.

Regardless of what we do or dont do, we are the boogeyman to everyone over there. Not at all saying our hands are clean, they arent. Iraq alone was pandoras box. But even pre iraq, pre 9/11 etc, the US has been the scapegoat in the region for all problems. Us and israel. Prior to the iraq civil war breakout, every muslim V muslim attack that shocked the public was "the cia or mossad". This is the result of having a population thats pretty much seperated from the rest of the world, whos only forums for world issues and news are the mosques....

Both the saudis and iranians have been sponsoring anti america/israeli propoganda for years...because it keeps the public from blaming their own govts for internal issues.

ocho, I hear you, but the reason we're the boogeyman over there is because of what we do, and have done. Decades and decades of intervention. We're like a bull in a china shop - no matter which way we move, we knock something over and break it. The only thing we've never done is get the fuck out of the china shop.

I think the bottom line, though, is that the Middle East is a mess and no one knows how to "fix" it. But the only thing we haven't tried is getting out and only offering "soft" support.

OK, then let's stop providing them with weapons and power. And let's stop giving them reasons to lash out with weapons. I think the view of the US government has largely been that it is like a virus - we have to burn it out. But the problem is, it just keeps adapting and moving. You squash it in one place and it re-emerges in another, but worse.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK, then let's stop providing them with weapons and power. And let's stop giving them reasons to lash out with weapons. I think the view of the US government has largely been that it is like a virus - we have to burn it out. But the problem is, it just keeps adapting and moving. You squash it in one place and it re-emerges in another, but worse.

You seem to think we are the only weapons suppliers in the world. 

Not at all. But we've certainly been the nation most involved with sticking our fingers into the hornet's nest, perhaps because of oil interests but also the Israel infatuation (that is, because there's a lot of wealthy Jewish people in the US who financially support politicians and expect them to defend every little thing Israel does).

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

(that is, because there's a lot of wealthy Jewish people in the US who financially support politicians and expect them to defend every little thing Israel does).

Damn dude, talk about anti-semitism. Maybe we are "infatuated" with Israel because they are a prosperous, democratic nation which shares our ideals? Because they are an exceptional ally and a bad-ass nation that can hold their own in the most dysfunctional part of the world?