• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2016 Trade Candidate: Hector Santiago

21 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

I dont think ettin is considering TRADING Weaver. I think he's talking about the possibility of re-signing him for 2017.

Yes that is what I was talking about. A one year deal in a transition year for league minimum salary could be a possibility in a pitching-thin market.

23 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I find it laughable that some believe that a contending team would take Fernando Salas in a trade, even as a throw-in. No manager with a lot at stake and any choice at all gives Salas the ball in a game with less than a five-run differential.

Time I originally wrote these first three (including the Huston Street one) he wasn't quite fully free falling yet. The first couple of months he was doing okay but something clearly changed. Right now he isn't worth much.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Time I originally wrote these first three (including the Huston Street one) he wasn't quite fully free falling yet. The first couple of months he was doing okay but something clearly changed. Right now he isn't worth much.

There was a brief window when I would have agreed with trying him in the closer's role. That window quickly slammed shut, and I cringe whenever I see him in a game now.

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

There was a brief window when I would have agreed with trying him in the closer's role. That window quickly slammed shut, and I cringe whenever I see him in a game now.

In his first 20 games of this season he had a 2.18 ERA and then it went really sideways.

On 7/8/2016 at 3:42 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hector has a 4.58 era / 5.14 fip / 5.09 xfip

Last year he had a 3.59 era / 4.77 fip / 5.00 xfip

His career numbers are a little better but they include his time out of the bullpen, where everyone pitches better. This view of Santiago as a quality starting pitcher is not based in reality.

The guy has a career 3.81 career ERA as a starter.  My whole point is that a "quality starter" by most peoples standards is very hard to come by.  Most teams only have 2 or 3 quality starters by the standards that most people here and in general hold and thats not including injuries.  Look at almost any rotation and you will see the Hector is better than 2-3 of those guys.  Many teams just need a guy who can pitch 180+ innings in a season while posting an ERA below 5.  Most of the first place teams do not fall into this category except the Orioles.  But its teams like the Red Sox, Astros, Pirates, Orioles, Dodgers, etc. that have 2 maybe 3 pitchers they can rely on to go out there at least 50% of the time and pitch a solid game.  Hector has had some really bad games this year, but he's also had some very good ones.  He's not a top of the rotation guy, but is a guy that can go out there and give you a chance to win a little more often than not.  Say what you want, but when you look at the rotations of many of the contenders in the league, especially the ones fighting for a spot, you will see exactly why Hector has value.

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry Crasnick reporting wide spread interest in Hector Santiago:

Of course Angelswin.com explored the best-fit defensive teams for Santiago's profile above.

Remember that some teams as discussed above may view Santiago as a high leverage reliever based on his past experience in the bullpen.

The Pirates, Marlins, and Mets were all just on the bubble of best-fit defensive teams. All three were deficient in at least one of left field, second base and shortstop but were good in the other two areas defensively. So I'd classify them all as "near-fit" dark horse candidates.

57 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Any team with a great defensive OF would be a great fit for Santiago.

More specifically a team with a good LF would be best as right-handed hitters, which are the predominant majority in baseball, tend to pull more balls to the left side and Hector specifically gives up more flyballs to them which deposits them either over the fence or in LF.

The Pirates have a good OF (it is there 2B that isn't as good a defender overall) for instance. The Royals had Gordan but they have fallen out of the race for the most part although they could still surprise. There are choices out there but Eppler should only trade Hector if the return is right. Otherwise move him at the deadline next year if we can't compete.

Hope we don't talk to the Marlins too seriously. Didn't see much on their farm that seemed like a realistic match. Much heavier on arms - I guess for a team like them they may give up a good AA SP for Hector in hopes of making the playoffs this year. 

20 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Santiago for Stanton

c'mon tdawg, you're way funnier than this played out joke.

maybe go with something like, "wish we had an owner committed to winning like the marlins do." and then follow that up with, " 2 WS trophies. SCOREBOARD!"