• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams showing interest in Santiago(Astros are one of them)

I thought Santiago wasn't likely to be dealt - felt like selling low - but with Skaggs making another AAA start now and Smith pitching as well as he has, I could see them moving him if a team offers a good young player. Tony Kemp would be great, and he's blocked by Altuve.

Astros have a couple other OF prospects in upper levels though too, Preston Tucker, Kemmer, Fisher, and have Bregman for IF. Also have a glut of 1B and 3B middling prospect types, so I could see them moving one of them to LF. 

Hard to say because a lot hinges on what they do with Rasmus and Gomez at the end of the season - Rasmus has his weird ideal of retiring young and seems to enjoy Houston, and while he's been hit or miss he's a bit of a fan favorite. 

But they have some legit issues with their rotation, not much on the left side, and Santiago's versatility would play really well into their needs, as would his familiarity with the AL West, who he pitches fairly well against. He's still fairly cheap, under some control, I could see them being a good fit.

52 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I thought Santiago wasn't likely to be dealt - felt like selling low - but with Skaggs making another AAA start now and Smith pitching as well as he has, I could see them moving him if a team offers a good young player. Tony Kemp would be great, and he's blocked by Altuve.

I kind of agree. I really think Santiago has a future as a reliever and we are just wasting time starting him. Who is going to trade for him? Only a team who thinks they can get more out of him than we have had. A contender is not going to be interested in sticking him in their rotation as is unless they are desperate and he is all they can afford.

43 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I kind of agree. I really think Santiago has a future as a reliever and we are just wasting time starting him. Who is going to trade for him? Only a team who thinks they can get more out of him than we have had. A contender is not going to be interested in sticking him in their rotation as is unless they are desperate and he is all they can afford.

@AngelsLakersFan I actually speak about this in the upcoming Trade Candidate article on Hector (him being traded as a reliever rather than a starter) because it is a less obvious path to bring in a high quality reliever (and I, like you, believe he could be utilized as a back-end bullpen piece by a team in need).

30 minutes ago, ettin said:

@AngelsLakersFan I actually speak about this in the upcoming Trade Candidate article on Hector (him being traded as a reliever rather than a starter) because it is a less obvious path to bring in a high quality reliever (and I, like you, believe he could be utilized as a back-end bullpen piece by a team in need).

He has the arm, and the ability to strand runners, and he's pretty damn good when his fastball sits at 95.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

He has the arm, and the ability to strand runners, and he's pretty damn good when his fastball sits at 95.

Also his exposure to right-handed hitters could be reduced in that role.

14 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I actually think we could improve his trade value by making him a high leverage reliever. The downside would be that if he sucked at that too he would have no value at all, but I think he could become a pretty good bullpen arm.

The Halos should be open to trade proposals for Santiago -- his value has ebbed and flowed this season and right now his trade value is up.

With club control through next season he becomes even more of a marketable commodity --

I would not trade him within the division (to prevent him pitching against us about 4 or 5 times next season) but would entertain offers to sell high with the hopes of clearing out some team's top pitching prospect plus, perhaps, a serviceable AA/ AAA guy who could compete for the fifth rotation spot in 2017 -- essentially taking over the role envisioned for Santiago coming into this season..........

chances of a second half fade for Santiago this season hover around 50% of higher - so sell high now.

18 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

There's no way Hector has the mental makeup to be a reliever.

Shoe, Tropeano , Skaggs and Nate Smith = 2017 rotation depth

So why would the Angels trade Santiago when that is the entire depth of the 2017 rotation???

They'll need to add three or four to that group just to get through 2017.

List of 2017 Free Agent Pitchers - not many that are good and ones like Matt More, Jeremy Hellickson...etc. will be possibly be traded at the deadline and not available.

Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (29)
Clay Buchholz (32) — $13.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
Andrew Cashner (30)
Jhoulys Chacin (29)
Bartolo Colon (43)
Jorge De La Rosa (36)
R.A. Dickey (42)
Doug Fister (33)
Jaime Garcia (30) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Gio Gonzalez (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout
Jason Hammel (34) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jeremy Hellickson (30)
Rich Hill (37)
Derek Holland (30) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Scott Kazmir (33) — can opt out of remaining two years, $32MM on current contract
Mat Latos (29)
Colby Lewis (37)
Kris Medlen (31) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Matt Moore (28) — $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
Charlie Morton (33) — $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Jon Niese (30) — $10MM club option with a $500K buyout
Ivan Nova (30)
Jake Peavy (36)
CC Sabathia (36) — $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout
James Shields (35) — can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract
Alfredo Simon (36)
Edinson Volquez (33)