• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teams showing interest in Santiago(Astros are one of them)

3 hours ago, ksangel said:

Shoe, Tropeano , Skaggs and Nate Smith = 2017 rotation depth

So why would the Angels trade Santiago when that is the entire depth of the 2017 rotation???

They'll need to add three or four to that group just to get through 2017.

List of 2017 Free Agent Pitchers - not many that are good and ones like Matt More, Jeremy Hellickson...etc. will be possibly be traded at the deadline and not available.

Starting Pitchers

Brett Anderson (29) ---- I thought he quit?
Clay Buchholz (32) — $13.5MM club option with a $500K buyout --- Have you seen that guy this season??? What are we suppose to do with him?.... Have him shag balls over the Rock Pile? Have him open a necklace shop in the RF Pavilion and sell Bear Claw trinkets....
Andrew Cashner (30) ---- Maybe?
Jhoulys Chacin (29) ---- Sure why not! At least you know what you're getting and can plan the salary accordingly.
Bartolo Colon (43) ---- Fat and Old  F-A-T not P-H-A-T...
Jorge De La Rosa (36) --- Too old~
R.A. Dickey (42) --- He's missing a muscle in his arm... He's getting close to Toast~
Doug Fister (33) --- Nothing like a good fistin from former Tigres
Jaime Garcia (30) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout ---- almost time for his annual arm surgery! Buyer beware~
Gio Gonzalez (31) — $12MM club option with a $500K buyout---------- 5/250M GET IT DONE ARTE! No really, I'm kidding~ Arte, put the checkbook down!
Jason Hammel (34) — $10MM club option with a $2MM buyout ----- Nah~ NL pitcher!
Jeremy Hellickson (30) ---- Maybe, as a 5th man/swing guy!
Rich Hill (37) ------- WHO?
Derek Holland (30) — $11MM club option with a $1MM buyout ---- Sure! in 2021 when he's back from TJ....
Scott Kazmir (33) — can opt out of remaining two years, $32MM on current contract -------- HAHAHAHHAHA....NO!
Mat Latos (29)---- See ^^^
Colby Lewis (37)--- I thought the Rangers put him to sleep after this last injury!
Kris Medlen (31) — $10MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout--- 2 x TJ has had mixed results.... Minor League deal maybe! M A Y B E ........ 
Matt Moore (28) — $7MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout ---- Sure! He's not going anywhere yet!
Charlie Morton (33) — $9.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout ---- Would had been cheaper when he was DFA by the Pirates and later traded to the Phills!
Jon Niese (30) — $10MM club option with a $500K buyout ----- Just No a sidewinding flipper from the left side great for the bully! Not for the rotation.~
Ivan Nova (30) ---- I thought he was retired?
Jake Peavy (36) ---- See ^^^
CC Sabathia (36) — $25MM vesting option with a $5MM buyout ---- hahahahha! NO~ Fat with knee issues... He would have to lose like 180lbs to get down to a weight his knees would hold up!
James Shields (35) — can opt out of remaining two years, $44MM on current contract ----- hmmmmm.... He's toast!~ Or, just watch his starts with the Chi Sox....Burnt Toast!
Alfredo Simon (36)---- Who?
Edinson Volquez (33)--- Maybe!!!!

Fixed....

I think Santiago has more value than most think.  Even with this years overall poor performance so far he still has a career 3.86 ERA in 536 IP as a starter and a 3.06 ERA in 88 IP as a reliever.  There are plenty of teams trotting Chacin types out there.  The Red Sox, for example, have Clay Bucholz and his 5.91 ERA as their 4th best starter.  Santiago is only 28 and is "only" making 5M this year.  I think his value is still pretty high given his age, career to this point, and lack of legitimate starters right now.  He may seem bad, but he's worlds better than most #4/5 pitchers.

Another reason teams may covet Hector is that he's got 'fix me' written all over him.  He's actually got very good stuff and could easily be a #3 if not a #2 upon putting it all together, but that's a pretty big if.  So there are gonna be teams that don't want to deal with his inconsistency but others that would put a premium on him because he has ability.   We just have to find the right match.  

off the top of my head, Pirates, Mariners, Marlins, Royals could work.  Orioles, Red Sox and maybe the Giants as well. 

Someone will try him out.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Another reason teams may covet Hector is that he's got 'fix me' written all over him.  He's actually got very good stuff and could easily be a #3 if not a #2 upon putting it all together, but that's a pretty big if.  So there are gonna be teams that don't want to deal with his inconsistency but others that would put a premium on him because he has ability.   We just have to find the right match.  

off the top of my head, Pirates, Mariners, Marlins, Royals could work.  Orioles, Red Sox and maybe the Giants as well. 

If @Chuckster70 ever gets off his "work arse" and posts the Trade Candidate: Hector Santiago article I sent to him on MONDAY you'd get my two lists of teams that see him as a starter and as a reliever. :dancing-cat-smiley-emoticon::D J/K Chuck I know what it is like to be very busy!

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Also I bet no one here realized that Hector Santiago has the lowest line drive rate in the Majors! He either puts the ball on the ground or in the air but not much in between. That is a valuable skill because line drives are the primary driver of batting average on balls in play (BABIP). More about that in the article.

If the pitching cupboard wasn't so bare we'd be in a better position. I've warmed to the idea that he will have solid enough value to deal, but not sure we have the depth, or will have the depth in '17, to part with him.

If Escobar can bring back a SP prospect akin to what Tropeano was, maybe. 

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Of course no one will pay for him as if he were a #3 starter. He's a fixer-upper. We won't get top dollar. With just one year left on the contract there isn't much time for the upside to pay off. With 4 years in the league as a starter I'm not sure how much fixing is likely. Time to put him in the pen and see if he can turn in the Wade Davis in the second half. That would improve his return.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Of course no one will pay for him as if he were a #3 starter. He's a fixer-upper. We won't get top dollar. With just one year left on the contract there isn't much time for the upside to pay off. With 4 years in the league as a starter I'm not sure how much fixing is likely. Time to put him in the pen and see if he can turn in the Wade Davis in the second half. That would improve his return.

I meant fix him from being the 5 era guy he's been this year.  I think he's worth #4 value.  I don't think he's a good fit for the pen.  He's got a solid repertoire but no truly dominant pitch.  He would be solid there, but I also worry about his ability to handle the pressure of high leverage.  I am not giving him away for sure, but a nice B prospect and maybe a throw in.   

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I meant fix him from being the 5 era guy he's been this year.  I think he's worth #4 value.  I don't think he's a good fit for the pen.  He's got a solid repertoire but no truly dominant pitch.  He would be solid there, but I also worry about his ability to handle the pressure of high leverage.  I am not giving him away for sure, but a nice B prospect and maybe a throw in.   

One thing I like with regards to moving Hector to the pen is his historically low BA allowed with RISP. It can't be entirely a fluke. The other thing, he is flat out dominate when his fastball sits at 95. While I think this is more of a mechanical issue with him, pitching out of the pen should make it more easy for him to throw 95. These two things make me see him as a safe bet coming out of the pen. Yes there is more upside in the rotation, but with how long we've tried to make that work I just don't see it being us to fix him.

17 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I would offer him a team friendly extension before I'd trade him for a B prospect . 

You guys know best.

honestly, that's fair as well.  I think he will hold his value for the next couple of years and we could always trade him down the road if he's got additional and reasonable control.