• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout Trade Talk has officially begun (by fans of other teams)

No team will pay that kind of price for Trout. It would likely be 1 3-4 WAR guy from the MLB roster then a bunch of top end prospects with little to no MLB experience and a ton of risk involved.

I think it's as simple as this....the team has a better chance and has a leg up on other teams with regards to building a competitive roster by having a talent like Trout on it. He's kind of like a cheat code tbh. The thought of seriously trading Trout should not be entertained until 2019.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So you trade him for four guys that give you 3-4 WAR each, @floplag?

It depends on the 4 guys, i cant say yes or no in theory, but possibly yes.  
You act like i want to, i dont, but if the front office isnt going to help the club im thinking about the future.  Its that simple.  
As the roster stands today no matter what we do we are in for an extended dry period. Even if we draft perfect for the next few years we are going to need a couple more for them to develop, thats 5-6 years!!!   
If trading him now means we are better as an organization sooner then yes, i do it.  If it doesnt then no i dont. 

Funny though using your 3-4 WAR range includes an awful lot of darned good players.  Are you asking me if i would trade him for Cano, Stanton, Adrian Gonzalez, and Russel Martin for example? :)  Would the team be better with those 4 than it is today?   Obviously that not an accurate proposal just sayin 4 3-4 WAR guys could be awful darn good so youd have to qualify who those guys are. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

i am not sure why you can't have two generational talents playing at the same time.  It's happened several times in baseball history.  The cubs still have one of the best farm systems in baseball.  They didn't trade anyone who they thought would be a part of their core.  They moved guys who were close to free agency.  Trout isn't.  

We have a better chance of making a run with Trout over the next few years than the odds that the players we would get in return for him would amount to enough to make us competitive in the next 2-3 years.  You trade Trout now and you run a major risk of decimating a franchise for well over a decade.  Trout is a 10 WAR player.  You are hoping your haul for him works out.  

If Trout is so hard to find and he's once in a life time why is Bryce Harper younger and playing baseball. Wait so your saying it can happen twice. Woah Trouts great and you don't trade him now but I'd do what the Cubs did trade everyone they don't see being on this team in 4-5 years see what u can get back with Trout at the center and make a run in 2-3 years. Every team needs to bottom out sometime. Rebuild refuel and have another go at it when u restock 

23 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The other thing you have to ask yourself is why?  Why would you ever trade Trout.?  

It's because you have otherwise exhausted your ability to surround him with capable talent.  Most of that stems from not only what you have, but talent pools you have access to outside of your own farm.  

So by trading him you are conceding that there isn't enough opportunity.  But do we know that to be true for sure?

There is a number in millions of lost revenue to this franchise upon losing Trout even after you subtract out his salary.  I think it's a pretty big number.  Somewhere close to 30+mil. 

So what you are doing by trading him is paying 30mil as season in lost revenue for that talent you are getting back.  Why not just keep him and spend an additional 30mil a year to surround him with more talent.  It doesn't have to be just free agents.  You can make a strong push to attack the upper echelon of the international pool as well.  Especially because after 2017 our restrictions are lifted.  

If it doesn't work, then you Trade him 4 years from now and get as much as you can.  Granted you probably have some additional financial obligations and dead money, but so what.  If you are moving trout you have conceded that you are really gonna suck for awhile.  Anyone who thinks we are gonna trade Trout and turn this ship around in the next 3 years is kidding themselves.  

Did you actually read my post or just decide to comment with out reading. I said you trade everyone not named trout now. The team is garbage. Trade anyone u don't think will be on your team in 4-5 years. That means everyone with value. Cubs traded pretty much everyone and this is where they are. Keep trout try to build around him lower payroll and if when there is 1 year left you know he won't resign then you trade him but not now. Trade kole and everyone else on the team. That won't be here in 4-5 years. Who cares if the Angels finish in 2nd if you don't make he playoffs and have a realistic shot it doesn't matter. Finish last and let's rebuild this thing with the right people. 

22 hours ago, Blarg said:

Not for one second. There is not a single Angel player in the Hall of Fame and no one on that list is going to be one. This is the Angels franchise legacy you are talking about pissing away for some future value that won't be even come close to the same value as getting that jersey and cap enshrined. I am at the age where Trout may play long enough and with the 5 year retirement rule may outlast me. So I really don't give a shit at this moment how many good players you can get for the best player. It has no long term payoff.

I don't understand this. Why the hell do you care if there is no angels in the hall of fame does it make you feel better or worse. The end goal is about winning World Series titles. The Angels in 2002 didn't have a single hall of famer and it worked out pretty well. Would you rather have 2 hall of fame players or a ws title.  Let's ask another way would you rather have Barry bonds and Jeff Kent or the 2002 World Series titles. Both those players will be in the hall one day but both didn't win the series but hey. You could go to New York and visit the hall of fame some day and say oh hey there is an Angels cap in the hall of fame. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

It depends on the 4 guys, i cant say yes or no in theory, but possibly yes.  
You act like i want to, i dont, but if the front office isnt going to help the club im thinking about the future.  Its that simple.  
As the roster stands today no matter what we do we are in for an extended dry period. Even if we draft perfect for the next few years we are going to need a couple more for them to develop, thats 5-6 years!!!   
If trading him now means we are better as an organization sooner then yes, i do it.  If it doesnt then no i dont. 

Funny though using your 3-4 WAR range includes an awful lot of darned good players.  Are you asking me if i would trade him for Cano, Stanton, Adrian Gonzalez, and Russel Martin for example? :)  Would the team be better with those 4 than it is today?   Obviously that not an accurate proposal just sayin 4 3-4 WAR guys could be awful darn good so youd have to qualify who those guys are. 

Or you could get Aybar, Kole, Howie and Iannetta

"If Trout is so hard to find and he's once in a life time why is Bryce Harper younger and playing baseball."

Trout is only one year older (24 vs 23) and has double Harper's WAR (40.1 vs 21.6 including 2016 Stats).  

Harper had a phenomenal offensive 2015 but he's not the all-around player Trout is to this point.

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Who did they also trade to Boston and got an amazing haul? 

you are probably thinking about the Beckett trade where they got Anibal Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez.  They also got two other prospects that were supposed to be the bees knees.  That's my point.  Even if you end up with a systems 5 or 6 top prospects, odds are that maybe 2-3 of them are really good.  You might get a star.  Maybe.  

I get what you are saying and in reference to your other response I did misread what you wrote.  I have proposed your exact scenario in the past, but since then we have really entered uncharted territory because of injury.  I am not sure I like that idea anymore mainly because we don't really know what this team is right now.  If we end up playing .500 this season with all of our injuries, is it fair to say that a rotation which replaces Weaver and Shoe with a healthy Richards and Heaney could be a playoff contender?  The answer to that is maybe.  Probably not, but maybe.  

I am not saying you are wrong, but we need to let it play out a bit more.  So far, Eppler and his crew has done a solid job of finding some ancillary pieces.  While I agree that this season is likely lost, our GM may be able to make this work in two years with the current guys.  Maybe there is another Trout out there or maybe a Paul Goldschmidt waiting to be drafted in the 8th round.  

At this point I am willing to accept a piecemeal approach where we move guys who are impending free agents if the team is out of it.  A lot of that has to do with our existing farm system being so poor.  I don't feel like we can turn the team over quick enough if we trade our non-Trout mlb pieces in order to start winning again with Trout.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Or you could get Aybar, Kole, Howie and Iannetta

So you assume the worst, i assume the best, odds are its in the middle 
you hate it so you assume it fails, thats fine, but the reality is you put out numbers that suggest it could be equally successful.  

The marlins wanted Seager, Pederson, Urias + 2 more for Fernandez. 

I think any package for Trout has to start with those 3, plus

DeLeon, Verdugo, and Yadier Alvarez. Outrageous package, but you only trade for a package like that. 

I think the Dodgers would be completely closed to trading Seager. In that case replace Seager with Puig and Alvarez with Holmes. Puig can then be flipped.

17 hours ago, floplag said:

So you assume the worst, i assume the best, odds are its in the middle 
you hate it so you assume it fails, thats fine, but the reality is you put out numbers that suggest it could be equally successful.  

@floplag you talk about how awful the team is and yet you think if they trade Trout they'll make the perfect decision, when they haven't made the perfect decision since drafting him?  And if you think getting the package I put together would be worse case scenario then you're crazy.  In all likely hood that's about as good as you'll do.  All of them were solid players for a long portion of their careers, and three made all star teams and over the course of their primes they had 3-5 WAR seasons.  

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Another win last night on the road to quieting this talk 

Let's get some of the injured expected back over the next 6 weeks (Street, Wilson, Skaggs, Simmons), and then go from there.

Oh how nice things will be when we have too many starters again. Who will be the odd one's out? Santiago, Weaver, Tropeano, Chacin, Wilson, Lincecum, Shoemaker, possibly Heaney. We might have 8 starters again competing for five spots. I'd assume Shoemaker and Tropeano would out and Heaney probably still out. 

55 minutes ago, Stradling said:

@floplag you talk about how awful the team is and yet you think if they trade Trout they'll make the perfect decision, when they haven't made the perfect decision since drafting him?  And if you think getting the package I put together would be worse case scenario then you're crazy.  In all likely hood that's about as good as you'll do.  All of them were solid players for a long portion of their careers, and three made all star teams and over the course of their primes they had 3-5 WAR seasons.  

So we should just do nothing due to past mistakes?  Mistakes i can handle better than a lack of trying personally.  
We don't know what we would get, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be marginal guys. 
Again it isnt something i want us to do, i wanted the club to fill its holes and make a run, they chose not to do that so, whats left?  Recent run aside this is not a playoff team. 

27 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

Oh how nice things will be when we have too many starters again. Who will be the odd one's out? Santiago, Weaver, Tropeano, Chacin, Wilson, Lincecum, Shoemaker, possibly Heaney. We might have 8 starters again competing for five spots. I'd assume Shoemaker and Tropeano would out and Heaney probably still out. 

Unless Weaver starts pitching better, there's no reason why he should be safe over Tropeano.

36 minutes ago, floplag said:

So we should just do nothing due to past mistakes?  Mistakes i can handle better than a lack of trying personally.  
We don't know what we would get, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be marginal guys. 
Again it isnt something i want us to do, i wanted the club to fill its holes and make a run, they chose not to do that so, whats left?  Recent run aside this is not a playoff team. 

Of course we don't do nothing.  But you know what we don't do, we don't trade the best player the organization has ever seen and a generational player.  Quick, name the guys that Florida got for Miggy.