• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What was I thinking?

Maybe I'm an asshole and people can correct me, but I think your income and value should come into consideration before having kids. There is a level of personal responsibility that comes with having kids or starting a family. Simply having kids or a family shouldn't be something that others have to change your parameters. If anything, we should be striving to work harder to provide a better life for our families and mainly our kids to hopefully surpass us when they are older.

People take advantage of the system now by having kids or taking in foster kids to live off government funds without having to work.

I agree on a work/life balance and appreciate it more as I'm older, but I feel I have to be responsible and work harder to earn that or put myself in that position than have it handed to me. If I had a family and my income wasn't enough, that's on me to work harder or find a new job that gave me the work life balance I wanted. The amount of immigrants that come to this company and make something of themselves and provide for their families is so profound, it's really not fair to just hand things over to people that don't deserve them or haven't worked for them.

I respect both sides of the party and different points of view, but this is one of the most asinine things and thought processes I have ever come across.

My exact thoughts. Every paragraph.

Firstly, there is a definite problem with people who cant afford to take care of themselves reproducing. Anyone having kids before they establish themselves (usually mod 20s at least) is digging their own hole. Teenagers more so. Not saying it cant work. Ive dated a girl off and on for years who had a kid in high school. By 25 she was a nurse, 30 now, and has a masters. So it can happen. The odds are just very low (she was lucky enough to have parents to help her watch the kid. She used thst to go to school and work 2 jobs, not party).

Like brandon said, i know several people who are first generstion immigrants who made it. Not to mention, ones i dont realy know, but know the story. Go to any dry cleaner, talk to the younger korean/chinese/vietnamese guy ip front and see his dad in the back who doesnt speak much english. You know the kid is headed to college. It comes down to the old man working his ass off, saving, and reinvesting. Not buying things he can afford.

AJ is right, life ahouldnt be all work. And i envy europe, australia, new zealand etc for their lifestyles. But thats not the way things are here. And if youre here, you have to participate in the set up if you want to succeed.

People clamouring for higher minimum wage have no clue as to how an economy runs and just create a devaluation of the dollar which affects the ederly on fixed incomes. So on one side you want youth with no job experience to receive wages higher than their productive value and in the same sweeping legislation impoverish those that are no longer in the workforce.

Progressives are idiots.

This is an outstanding point that I haven't yet heard mentioned by anyone advocating the higher minimum wage.

Like brandon said, i know several people who are first generstion immigrants who made it. Not to mention, ones i dont realy know, but know the story. Go to any dry cleaner, talk to the younger korean/chinese/vietnamese guy ip front and see his dad in the back who doesnt speak much english. You know the kid is headed to college. It comes down to the old man working his ass off, saving, and reinvesting. Not buying things he can afford.

I worked with a bunch of Mexican immigrants growing up (my family had a restaurant). Most of them would laugh at the notion of a 60-hour workweek. Perhaps 60 hours for their first job, then maybe another 20-30 for their second one.

And the Vietnamese are a wonderful example of how hard work leads to success. I used to have a Vietnamese barber. He learned enough English to converse adequately. Got a barber license. That right there shows more ambition than many Americans. And when you asked him about his five kids, all were either a white collar professional (a teacher, a doctor, and something else) or at a top university (Berkeley or UCLA).

These people didn't have a damn thing handed to them - they simply worked their asses off. And they were so grateful for the opportunity. Most people in this world would kill for the opportunity to be able to work for pay for 60+ hours per week.

Edited by wopphil

I'm a bit mixed on the raising of minimum wage.

On one hand, we are simply giving more money to people for the same value they present today.....this hurts overhead, costs, etc.

And the important one and variable, I remember when people said Obamacare would kill business, companies, etc.

It's unique and maybe it's just an observation, but CEO's etc. aren't sitting on message boards complaining or talking about what people don't have or should have, they just adapt. I noticed most did in the financial sector after Dodd-Frank and most did after Obamacare and the implementation of healthcare reform that hurt their bottom line. I just remember many hear saying how everyone or companies would collapse as it wasn't sustainable.

Kind of a devils advocate question in the thought process as I don't believe in raising income/decreasing margins for no reason. If someone couldn't support themselves on the wages of an employer I believe that person has the right to seek an career opportunity. 

My exact thoughts. Every paragraph.

Firstly, there is a definite problem with people who cant afford to take care of themselves reproducing. Anyone having kids before they establish themselves (usually mod 20s at least) is digging their own hole. Teenagers more so. Not saying it cant work. Ive dated a girl off and on for years who had a kid in high school. By 25 she was a nurse, 30 now, and has a masters. So it can happen. The odds are just very low (she was lucky enough to have parents to help her watch the kid. She used thst to go to school and work 2 jobs, not party).

AJ is right, life ahouldnt be all work. And i envy europe, australia, new zealand etc for their lifestyles. But thats not the way things are here. And if youre here, you have to participate in the set up if you want to succeed.

Not only that, but we all know people that continually have kids without any career ambitions and it's like, "wtf are you thinking having kids without a plan?"

At the end of the day I feel so bad for these kids because they don't have opportunity or the same resources because their parents were irresponsible or incoherent during the procreation process. How can someone pop out kids and not want the best life possible for them? How do people expect to do that when they can't take care of themselves?

Of course conservative probably donate more to church. As a whole, they're more religious. Not really sure why that matters.

As for who donates more to charity? http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/31/business/la-fi-mh-conservatives-or-liberals-20140331

Not really sure there is a definitive answer. I know you're responding to AJ's crap but this conversation has really taken a turn for the stupid.

So you're saying there's no room for change, no adjustment possible? That government spending can't be tightened up, re-allocated? I have my own cynical side, but I still hold out hope that real positive change is possible. I mean, it has happened before.

Anyhow, still waiting for your response to my question above: Do you think a single mother should work two jobs, 60+ hours a week and rarely see her kids, and be exhausted when she sees them, or is it OK in your mind if she works 30-40 hours a week and receives government assistance? See, I think we should encourage the latter, that her having the time and energy to be a mom is more important than "sacrificing to provide."

So we sacrifice for her instead? The money has to come from somewhere and we all know the government's solution

This is why I asked about church and charity. I consider people who donate money to church and charity to be generous.

Except when you posed your statement in the form of a question, you kinda went down AJ's stupid rabbit hole about which group is morally superior - something he seems to do quite frequently.

I'll put in 84 hours a week in the pits of hell if it means my bills are paid when I get back.

Every last one of you is a total pussy compared to me and I know more than half of you are entirely too fat to last half a shift. 

Sanders '16 because !@#$ this shit

Don't worry about them. They're all too comfortable to do anything about it except bitch on a message board anyway.

Colt doesn't understand his 80 hours a week with Sanders will be worth 20 hours of pay. Enjoy enslavement Colt.

As for the free college crap, there still will be entrance requirements which will exclude all lower income students that couldn't pass a GED. So it is still only a middle to upper middle class perk and does nothing for the poor. Way to go racist Jew!

LOL. Fine, I will. What a friendly group of dudes, so embracing of other viewpoints.

I find it strange that people are upset with me because I think people shouldn't have to work 60 hours a week, and that single mothers should be able to get governmental support. WTF.

Edited by Angelsjunky