• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

1 minute ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I tried to post the link for the video and failed.  Anyways in the documentary while he's doing one of his shows he tells a story where he's getting a coffee and the barista recognizes him from scrubs while someone else recognizes him from Men At Work and like Lou both of them have no idea what the other is talking about.

Did he do the songs acoustic by himself?

The shows he does in the documentary are him talking to the audience telling stories about his career and life with acoustic songs he plays mixed in.  Pretty sure he played Overkill at some point during it but not sure if they played it all the way through.  He's still touring and has tours scheduled this year assuming they don't get cancelled http://www.colinhay.com/tour/

During the documentary he was playing regularly in LA/Hollywood.

I’m not really familiar with the books that they’re saying will stop being printed.  So I can’t really have a strong or specific opinion here.  It seems to me that much of the Dr. Seuss stuff is good.  I’m sure most of us are familiar with some of his stuff that is laughably racist and bad.  I’m pretty sure they don’t show the 1st graders that stuff.  Which seems appropriate.  My first thought here is that one can still go buy Mein Kampf.  Am I understanding it correctly that the Seuss estate made this decision ? Or the entity that handles his IP ? Anyway, if people can print Mein Kampf I’m not sure why they should feel that they *cant* print his material that is no longer considered appropriate.  Some of that stuff is pretty “yikes” by the standards of good manners that most of us today would agree to.  I don’t know.  To me this is like Disney putting away some of the not great old cartoons.  If they don’t want to associate with it any more, whatever.   I guess what I’m saying is that if someone wants to keep printing the stuff.  Fine.  If they don’t.  Fine.  <shrugs> 

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not really familiar with the books that they’re saying will stop being printed.  So I can’t really have a strong or specific opinion here.  It seems to me that much of the Dr. Seuss stuff is good.  I’m sure most of us are familiar with some of his stuff that is laughably racist and bad.  I’m pretty sure they don’t show the 1st graders that stuff.  Which seems appropriate.  My first thought here is that one can still go buy Mein Kampf.  Am I understanding it correctly that the Seuss estate made this decision ? Or the entity that handles his IP ? Anyway, if people can print Mein Kampf I’m not sure why they should feel that they *cant* print his material that is no longer considered appropriate.  Some of that stuff is pretty “yikes” by the standards of good manners that most of us today would agree to.  I don’t know.  To me this is like Disney putting away some of the not great old cartoons.  If they don’t want to associate with it any more, whatever.   I guess what I’m saying is that if someone wants to keep printing the stuff.  Fine.  If they don’t.  Fine.  <shrugs> 

I recall many of the Dr. Seuss books having the theme of accepting other for being different. What else do people think Star-Bellied Sneetches and Green Eggs and Ham are about? To imply that he was racist is stupid AF. 

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

I recall many of the Dr. Seuss books having the theme of accepting other for being different. What else do people think Star-Bellied Sneetches and Green Eggs and Ham are about? To imply that he was racist is stupid AF. 

Both those books are still being printed. I've never even heard of the 5 they are stopping. 

Before and during World War 2, he was pretty racist and supported Japanese internment but that’s not a surprise given the times and circumstances.

Supposedly after visiting Japan in the 50’s and hearing stories from people that survived the atomic bombings is when he started to have a change of heart and his themes in his books evolved. 

15 hours ago, Lou said:

Don't remember ever watching that show. Is it good?

I've watched maybe a couple dozen episodes. It's funny but not a show I ever really got into.

Pretty good cast though. It has Zach Braff, the black dude from Clueless,  one of the Bobs from Office Space, the chick that replaced Becky on Rosanne for a season, and the chick from the Drew Carey show. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

You really ought to take a look at some of the stuff.  You are apparently unfamiliar with it. 

E36E0405-EABB-4F3F-8466-CC1304083AC4.jpeg

EC9E6AF1-E5A2-4FD5-B4AA-E861E52FA3F0.jpeg

8D3187E7-04A1-499D-A01F-B7C52CC62305.jpeg

4F9BF3DD-5F08-4578-9404-6CDD520D8CD3.jpeg

I don’t know.  IMO these are unambiguously the work of a racist.  

which again, fine.  It doesn’t mean that they *must* go out of print imo.  But I don’t think that an entity in the 21st century no longer wanting to be associated with stuff like this is really that surprising.  also, these are fairly obscure works of his anyway.  You weren’t aware of them apparently.  I don’t think anyone is going to miss them.  I doubt the people who made this decision were making money on these books they’re not going to print anymore.  I wouldn’t separate that part of it from the story either.

And he may well have learned and been better about this stuff later in his life.  Which is good.  Credit to him for that. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

You really ought to take a look at some of the stuff.  You are apparently unfamiliar with it. 

E36E0405-EABB-4F3F-8466-CC1304083AC4.jpeg

EC9E6AF1-E5A2-4FD5-B4AA-E861E52FA3F0.jpeg

8D3187E7-04A1-499D-A01F-B7C52CC62305.jpeg

4F9BF3DD-5F08-4578-9404-6CDD520D8CD3.jpeg

So these are from the books they are talking about? I would assume that they stopped producing these comics years ago. 

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t know.  IMO these are unambiguously the work of a racist.  

which again, fine.  It doesn’t mean that they *must* go out of print imo.  But I don’t think that an entity in the 21st century no longer wanting to be associated with stuff like this is really that surprising.  also, these are fairly obscure works of his anyway.  You weren’t aware of them apparently.  I don’t think anyone is going to miss them.  I doubt the people who made this decision were making money on these books they’re not going to print anymore.  I wouldn’t separate that part of it from the story either.

And he may well have learned and been better about this stuff later in his life.  Which is good.  Credit to him for that. 

Agreed but now the left has labeled him as a racist so the rest of his works will be removed in short order. I'm not sure the current trend of book burnings is what is best

2 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

I've watched maybe a couple dozen episodes. It's funny but not a show I ever really got into.

Pretty good cast though. It has Zach Braff, the black dude from Clueless,  one of the Bobs from Office Space, the chick that replaced Becky on Rosanne for a season, and the chick from the Drew Carey show. 

Yeah, that doesn't help at all. 

I'll check it out, however.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Agreed but now the left has labeled him as a racist so the rest of his works will be removed in short order. I'm not sure the current trend of book burnings is what is best

I mean you see that stuff lol.  It is pretty racist.  Green eggs and ham isn’t going anywhere.  I once again offer the natty ice bet. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

For fucks sake 

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean you see that stuff lol.  It is pretty racist.  Green eggs and ham isn’t going anywhere.  I once again offer the natty ice bet. 

I'd like to think so but I can see school districts and libraries pulling them if enough Twitter warriors make enough noise. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'd like to think so but I can see school districts and libraries pulling them if enough Twitter warriors make enough noise. 

It’s for sure possible that some very big dumb dumbs may individually remove the books from their classrooms or if they happen to have that kind of authority over a small library.  Those would be pretty isolated incidents imo.  I don’t think this at risk of being a widespread thing.