• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

16 minutes ago, Tank said:

it may not be a great meme but it does make an interesting point. UTH, why is one of those things okay but the other isn't? i saw a couple of people interviewed on the news last night and they were visibly unhappy about what dr. seuss created decades ago and how it subtlely can affect children. i wonder if they were equally unhappy about a song that celebrated a woman's wet vagina played publicly again and again by vehicles targeted at kids. do you know how many of my private school 12 and 13 yr olds know about WAP? hint: it's not a small percentage.

the inconsistency of the outrage bothers me a great deal. we don't want racism, subtle or overt (which is a good thing to shut down), but we're okay with blatant sexuality without any morals marketed to our children. this isn't a fair fight.

i don't want to cancel cardi b. , but i don't want to see her crap pushed on children. they're being subjected to things they're not emotionally ready to process.

i know this makes me sound like a tired old white guy, and i'm okay with that. my sense of morality is different than many here, and i'm okay with that, too. but in this particular comparison, both of these are equally wrong. it shouldn't be one or the other. 

I'm wondering if you could articulate what your issue is with WAP being a popular song?

By the way the dude that posted the meme seems to have a problem with interracial relationships depicted in commercials. As someone that knows multiple couples like the one in this commercial he can go fuck himself.

6 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm wondering if you could articulate what your issue is with WAP being a popular song?

sure. it's in the marketing and putting it out to venues that kids listen to. it's also treating it like absolutely everything about it is fine when for people of faith, it goes against our standards and beliefs in sexual relations. as an adult, you and i are far better equipped to deal with this, and i can easily brush it off or ignore. if i'm 12, it's a different scenario. there's the excitement of something so scandalous and i can never let my parents hear this song or see the lyrics and they can never know i'm listening to it or that my friends are listening to it. it also creates a sense of casual sex that a lot of people of faith disagree with. kids get confused by the differences in message of what they hear at home vs. what they see in public/online. the subject matter is clearly for adults only.

in our faith, we believe that sex outside of marriage is not what the bible teaches. this song celebrates doing the opposite of that, and so it creates conflict for us. you can't teach children that someone touching your in certain places is off limits, while they're also hearing a song that describes what WAP describes.

but even more, it's a morality issue for me, especially when it involves young kids who just aren't well equipped emotionally to deal with this.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

sure. it's in the marketing and putting it out to venues that kids listen to. it's also treating it like absolutely everything about it is fine when for people of faith, it goes against our standards and beliefs in sexual relations. as an adult, you and i are far better equipped to deal with this, and i can easily brush it off or ignore. if i'm 12, it's a different scenario. there's the excitement of something so scandalous and i can never let my parents hear this song or see the lyrics and they can never know i'm listening to it or that my friends are listening to it. it also creates a sense of casual sex that a lot of people of faith disagree with. kids get confused by the differences in message of what they hear at home vs. what they see in public/online. the subject matter is clearly for adults only.

in our faith, we believe that sex outside of marriage is not what the bible teaches. this song celebrates doing the opposite of that, and so it creates conflict for us. you can't teach children that someone touching your in certain places is off limits, while they're also hearing a song that describes what WAP describes.

but even more, it's a morality issue for me, especially when it involves young kids who just aren't well equipped emotionally to deal with this.

What about all the songs men have made about sex?

30 minutes ago, Tank said:

I can get behind this, but I'm wondering why this song gets singled out when so many others haven't. It seems like a lot of its controversy comes from the performers being women, and the defense against attacks on this song that I keep reading is "you must not have daughters."

And say what you will about normalizing sexuality, Christian or not I can't see that being as bad as normalizing depictions of other races as animals.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

it may not be a great meme but it does make an interesting point. UTH, why is one of those things okay but the other isn't? i saw a couple of people interviewed on the news last night and they were visibly unhappy about what dr. seuss created decades ago and how it subtlely can affect children. i wonder if they were equally unhappy about a song that celebrated a woman's wet vagina played publicly again and again by vehicles targeted at kids. do you know how many of my private school 12 and 13 yr olds know about WAP? hint: it's not a small percentage.

the inconsistency of the outrage bothers me a great deal. we don't want racism, subtle or overt (which is a good thing to shut down), but we're okay with blatant sexuality without any morals marketed to our children. this isn't a fair fight.

i don't want to cancel cardi b. , but i don't want to see her crap pushed on children. they're being subjected to things they're not emotionally ready to process.

i know this makes me sound like a tired old white guy, and i'm okay with that. my sense of morality is different than many here, and i'm okay with that, too. but in this particular comparison, both of these are equally wrong. it shouldn't be one or the other. 

I’d like to give you the benefit of the doubt and understand what you’re saying here to be that selling inappropriate things to children is wrong in a broad sense.  And not that you’re saying in a specific way, that the sexually explicit Cardi B song is equally as bad as the Dr. Seuss comics that depict black people as dumb monkeys to be bought by white folks and Asians as traitorous caricature saboteurs.  Because I’d genuinely like to believe that you don’t think those two things are equal.  Maybe you’d like to clear this up.  

I’m not really sure that I agree that Cardi B is marketing herself specifically to tweens.  I think that it just happens to be that these kids you’re talking about are at that age and Cardi B is a thing that exists in the world and they are going to find it.  Its up to the people in those kids lives to help them process the things they encounter in life.  A sexually explicit song included.  I mean, suggestive themes, even overtly suggestive themes have been around for a long time.  At least back into the late 70’s as far as video content in pop culture.  Anyway, I’ll agree with you that children shouldn’t be targeted for things that aren’t appropriate for them. 

As far as the old dr. Seuss stuff.  I’m not really sure that I agree that it’s a good comparison with the song or how people encounter it.  I don’t think those dr.Seuss materials are really out there that much.  Unless you’re really digging into dr. Seuss content and you’re looking for it.  What seems to have happened here is that the entity that manages his art has decided that it doesn’t want to print that specific stuff anymore.  For various reasons.  I’m sure that some pressure from anti racism groups played a part.  But I don’t know that that is exactly the same thing as a child encountering pop culture.  So like I said.  I’m not really sure why you’re comparing these things.  

And the meme is bad because it’s wrong.  There’s no call for “green eggs and ham” or “the cat in the hat” or any of the wholesome children’s literature that Dr. Seuss created to be “cancelled”.  Which is the vast majority of his work.   It’s just a brainless misleading meme.  So I said it’s bad. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

A lot of those racist cartoons were ad’s he designed for companies. He was very Pro WWII and worked for the Army in creating propaganda to sway the American public into backing war bonds and entering the fight. 

That said, he cheated on his wife when she was diagnosed with cancer and when she found out she killed herself and he married his mistress.