• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Can this trend be reversed? SJWs

Adam

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If you could summarize her point what would you say it is ?

There are a couple main themes. One is helping White people listen to the concerns of people of color without getting defensive and then flipping the script to make people of color feel guilty for sharing their struggles. Another main theme is helping White people see that many of the societal norms they take for granted are not neutral but help uphold systems of White superiority.

It's not a perfect book, and I didn't agree with everything she said. But she absolutely does not think that creating more Black CEOs will solve inequality. 

1 minute ago, mtangelsfan said:

What were your takeaways from reading that book?  Or, more importantly, what are your action steps now that you have read it?

One practical action step is that when someone tells me I've done or said something that offends them, instead of jumping to, "Oh, that wasn't my intention," I try to have the attitude of, "Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I know it takes courage to give me that kind of feedback. I won't do/say that thing again." It's actually a solid principle for ALL areas of conversation, not just race.

What she's found in her experience is that when people of color open up about their experiences of racism, White people will jump in to defend themselves and effectively minimize the experience of the person who has been wronged, which leads to the person of color apologizing for bringing it up. 

The main criticism I've seen of DiAngelo's concept of "white fragility" (which, even in its name is a phrase that's going to anger people) is that it suffers from the fallacy of asserting that if you disbelieve in the concept of white fragility, your disbelief is proof of your own white fragility. This is circular logic that I don't necessarily agree with. But her commentary on White/POC interpersonal relationships is generally spot-on.

13 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There are a couple main themes. One is helping White people listen to the concerns of people of color without getting defensive and then flipping the script to make people of color feel guilty for sharing their struggles. Another main theme is helping White people see that many of the societal norms they take for granted are not neutral but help uphold systems of White superiority.

It's not a perfect book, and I didn't agree with everything she said. But she absolutely does not think that creating more Black CEOs will solve inequality. 

I mean that right there is sort of my point.  I say the black CEO’s thing sort of facetiously but also I believe it stems from the same idea.  Specifically, that American concepts around like individualism are features of white supremacy.  And I say that’s wrong.  It’s a feature of a hyper capitalistic society.  The whole book appears that way.  So far as I can tell.  She assigns everything to white supremacy.  Which is imo not a correct read of our problems.  

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean that right there is sort of my point.  I say the black CEO’s thing sort of facetiously but also I believe it stems from the same idea.  Specifically, that American concepts around like individualism are features of white supremacy.  And I say that’s wrong.  It’s a feature of a hyper capitalistic society.  The whole book appears that way.  So far as I can tell.  She assigns everything to white supremacy.  Which is imo not a correct read of our problems.  

But she doesn't seem to be the uber capitalist you're making her out to be. That's just from my read of the book.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

But she doesn't seem to be the uber capitalist you're making her out to be. That's just from my read of the book.

I think her silence on the topic is a huge problem.  This is what lots of liberals do.  They completely ignore that component.  Which imo is the primary thing to look at.  

People like to believe they aren’t at the bottom of the pile.  I think that’s where white supremacy comes into play.  It lets people believe they’re above someone.  People are loathe to believe they’re getting fucked.  But I’ve got news for the white supremacist folks.  Your boss is raping you the same as the blacks and Mexicans.  They don’t value you more.  Your idea that they do is convenient for them. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

One practical action step is that when someone tells me I've done or said something that offends them, instead of jumping to, "Oh, that wasn't my intention," I try to have the attitude of, "Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I know it takes courage to give me that kind of feedback. I won't do/say that thing again." It's actually a solid principle for ALL areas of conversation, not just race.

I just cut these people out of my life entirely.

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

People like to believe they aren’t at the bottom of the pile.  I think that’s where white supremacy comes into play.  It lets people believe they’re above someone.  People are loathe to believe they’re getting fucked.  But I’ve got news for the white supremacist folks.  Your boss is raping you the same as the blacks and Mexicans.  They don’t value you more.  Your idea that they do is convenient for them. 

I don’t agree with your theory that boss/employee is a naturally adversarial relationship