• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dexter Fowler re-signs with Cubs

bloodbrother

The Cubs added every player they needed this offseason, and then some, and they traded just 1 real name, Starlin Castro.

Then they picked up Zobrist, Mr Super Utility, to plug into his spot.

They parted with exactly zero top prospects, which they are loaded with.

Unbef'nbelievable.

Good time to be a Cub fan.

Schwarber will be catching for them most of the time, and so most of the time Jorge Soler will be in LF. The kicker here is...

1. Javier Baez is out of a spot now, he'll simply be a backup at SS, 2B, 3B and CF, and that's pretty unfair to him given the fact that his skill set dictates that he can be an all-star caliber SS/2B/3B that hits .280/.320 with 30 bond and 15 SB a year.

2. This doesn't bode well for their future. After next year or shortly thereafter, Fowler will be out as their CF, Heyward and Soler aren't CF, and Schwarber will undoubtedly move to LF. The end result is almost certainly a trade. Likely Soler once his stock increases.

If I'm running the show with the Angels, I'm calling and asking if Chicago is interested in Heaney for either Soler or Baez. Either works for me. I like Heaney and can foresee 200 innings and a low 3's ERA for the next decade. But once the opportunity and refinement comes, I see Soler hitting .280/.330 and 30 HR's a year, similar to Baez.

Really, Scotty....Really?

He's under CLUB CONTROL they can do what they want with him! Same as if he was with any other team! The same as we get so excited (including yourself) when we get a Club Controlled player....He stays or he goes back down to the Minors

Though he has the ability and has done some things in the Minors he has yet to show consistency at the Major League level and far from the All Star Caliber you speak of. Once he does his time will come! Wherever he is.

Edited by SlappyUtilityGuy

It would be great to be stacked like the Cubs are now but I don't think most of this board could survive 3 seasons like they had from '11-'13. A 3 game losing streak makes people here suicidal. A 3 season losing streak could potentially make the Angels fan extinct as we know then. It would be like 1992 all over again.

I don't think Schwarber will be catching "most of the time" either Scotty, I don't know where you got that one.

Montero and Ross are the catchers.

Soler will be in RF .

LF- Fowler

CF- Heyward

RF- Solar

Schwarber may be a multi-platoon, inter league DH, Left handed PH, day off guy/injury replacement and still get 100-115 games in... at 1B, DH, LF, C

Maddon has a way of getting guys into the Game....

Proof that if you tank for 105 years it will pay off eventually.

Absurd.

But it does show proof that an owner who hires the right people, backs a complete rebuild of the minor league system, and concentrates on international signings and smart drafting, and lets the fans know what he is doing...and then gets OUT OF THE WAY and lets his baseball people execute that plan....can do in a mere 4-5 years.

Slappy....With Schwarber and Zobrist (who Maddon called the most important signing in baseball this off-season, not just for the Cubs)

You virtually put worry of injury to rest. You have freedom to play matchups with real high quality players to mix in. Not losing anything by plugging a B level player in for your main starter.

Maddon is just the guy for this team and that system, too.

He must feel like he died and went to baseball heaven, or got keys to a Ferrari.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. 

Proof that if you tank for 105 years it will pay off eventually.

Absurd.

But it does show proof that an owner who hires the right people, backs a complete rebuild of the minor league system, and concentrates on international signings and smart drafting, and lets the fans know what he is doing...and then gets OUT OF THE WAY and lets his baseball people execute that plan....can do in a mere 4-5 years.

The Cubs haven't really rebuilt through the draft. Bryant and Schwarber are big exceptions of course.

Slappy....With Schwarber and Zobrist (who Maddon called the most important signing in baseball this off-season, not just for the Cubs)

You virtually put worry of injury to rest. You have freedom to play matchups with real high quality players to mix in. Not losing anything by plugging a B level player in for your main starter.

Maddon is just the guy for this team and that system, too.

He must feel like he died and went to baseball heaven, or got keys to a Ferrari.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. 

That is what I meant by injury replacement. The Cubs should have no worries unless they have a complete meltdown disabled list wise. They have more than enough solid players and youth to go around.

Cubs are the pre-season prohibitive favorite to be WS champs.

They have the pitching.

They have the hitting.

They have enough defense.

They have the manager.   Anyone that can make a winner out of Tampa Bay is an elite manager. 

The ONLY potential roadblock is the backend of the pen.

Edited by Angel Oracle

They have the pitching.

They have the hitting.

They have the manager.   Anyone that can make a winner out of Tampa Bay is an elite manager. 

And they have more than enough in the Minors to acquire that proven commodity at the Back End of the Bullpen during the season.......

Stacked~

They have the pitching.

They have the hitting.

The only road block is the randomness of the grind that is the 162 game season and the crap shoot that is the postseason.

They are clearly a step above every other team.

And you have a studly starting rotation with the Cy Young winner as the cherry on top of it all.

My God, man.

I'm a little afraid that the 2 game opening series with the Cubs is going to feel like an exhibition.

I went to the first interleague games in Anaheim back in 03 or whenever it was, with mixed gear.

I wore a Cubs jersey with an Angels T and Cap, and switched it up every day.

Stayed at the Doubletree across the street with the Cubbies.

The Cubs haven't really rebuilt through the draft. Bryant and Schwarber are big exceptions of course.

Don't forget about Baez. Soler was of course one of their big international signees(a team being active on the international market, imagine that). They then made a lot of very smart trades by selling off players for young assets as part of their rebuild

Arrieta trade was a heist for them. Realizing that they could buy low on a former top prospect who was struggling with his current team and pounced on it. Traded Scott Feldman and Steve Clevinger for Arrieta and Pedro Strop(a valuable part of their bullpen)

Theo then swindled Billy Beane by selling high on Jason Hammel, who was having the best 1st half of his career, and Jeff Samardzija, all for a consensus top 5 prospect in all of MLB in SS Addison Russell

Now, with all those young, high impact talents reaching the majors and under club control for the next 5-6 seasons on reasonable salaries, the Cubs were finally able to complement that young core group with a couple of good FA additions like Jon Lester, John Lackey, Ben Zobrist, and Jason Heyward.

Wait until the DH is in the NL in 2017... If the Cubs don't win a series or two in the next few years it will be a complete fluke.

Take it from someone who has followed them for over 50 seasons, "flukes" are what the Cubbies are known for. Granted, they have never in those years put together YOUNG talent like this edition has.

Edited by Homebrewer