• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte has an answer for your critics.

They are set up to be good for a very long time - unlike their neighbors to the south, who seem inclined to spend money on neither the big league club nor the farm. As long as Albert gets paid and people keep buying tickets, it's all good.

Someday Arte Moreno will write a book titled "How to run a MLB franchise into the ground".

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

He's acting like an owner getting ready to sell.

Not spending on upgrades OR a farm system!

If that's how you are going to act, then SELL!

By the way, how can your budget be only $150 million per year, when the TV contract per year alone equals that (20 years/$3 billion)????

Tickets have to bring in a good $60-70 million extra????

fyi.  Just because the local tv deal is $150 million a year, does not mean the Angels get $150 million.  The Dodgers leaked documents showed that MLB gets something like 20-30%.  Don't remember how it's distributed. 

But also remember.  Just because we have an estimated $160 million opening day salary.  Doesn't mean the expenses for the team is $160 million.  From the other leaked documents, in 2008 the opening day salary was $119 million, but the major league operations expense was $143 million.  For 2009, opening day $113 million, expense was $139 million. 

So if it's about 120%, then just the major league operations is probably around $192 million.  TV deal is probably around $105-$120 million income.  $60-70 million in ticket sales, with an expense of about $16-20 million. 

My problem with him is he spends like a drunk sailor says oh I spent too much, no more spending.

It's been this way since the guy bought the team. He's a marketer, and that's all. Plain and simple.

-He buys a team and immediately announces lower beer prices, hurrah says the fans. (Marketing)

-He changes the name of the team to a city the team isn't even located in. (Marketing)

-He signs the best player in the league to a contract because he's the best player (Guerrero, Marketing)

-That worked pretty well, so he lets cheap talent with a driving desire to win games leave without hesitation, and overpays free-agent-under-performers because he thinks it will sell tickets and merchandise. (Matthews Jr, Marketing)

-He gives it another shot, cause screw it, he's 1 for 2, he lets cheap talent with a driving desire to win games leave without hesitation while signing (Wells)

-He gives it another shot, cause screw it, he's 1 for 3, he lets cheap talent with a driving desire to win games leave without hesitation while signing (Pujols)

-He gives it another shot, cause screw it, he's 1 for 4, he lets cheap talent with a driving desire to win games leave without hesitation while signing (Hamilton)

-He gives it another shot, cause screw it, he's 2 for 5, he lets cheap talent with a driving desire to win games leave without hesitation while signing (Ibanez)

All the while he's paid exorbanent amounts of money to players who aren't even on his team, to leave because they suck.

Let's face it, since 2003, besides Guerrero, Pujols and Trout,, which non-pitcher-player has come here with a big contract, and even looked REMOTELY interested in performing to win on the field? It's become very rare. I will say while CJ Wilson and Weaver have been tough to watch, those guys go out to win. These insane contracts bring out less than desirable results on the field, and frustration for the fans who prefer we ignore the marketing aspect and concentrate on making a winning team.

We all see it. They know that check is coming whether they perform or not and they could care less whether the team wins or loses. These types of contracts and these types of personalities will not result in a Championship ballclub, in fact they destroy that very type of mentality from growing. The type of mentality the team in 2002 had! The problem theirein lies, that Orange County doesn't want to attend a baseball game with premodonna's and overpaid douchebags that don't care about winning.

Matthews, Wells, Hamilton, Ibanez, F***! Besides very safe bets, the list with his screw ups go on and on! And they are now, finally, costing us a chance to be competitive.

The bottom line is the dude has almost no baseball sense, while using marketing philosophies that worked to make money in the past when he had other folks around to deliberate, but don't comprehend to any kind of success on the field.

It's been this way since the guy bought the team. He's a marketer, and that's all. Plain and simple.

Let's face it, since 2003, besides Guerrero, Pujols and Trout,, which non-pitcher-player has come here with a big contract, and even looked REMOTELY interested in performing to win on the field? It's become very rare. I will say while CJ Wilson and Weaver have been tough to watch, those guys go out to win. These insane contracts bring out less than desirable results on the field, and frustration for the fans who prefer we ignore the marketing aspect and concentrate on making a winning team.

Torii Hunter.

Edited by Mr. Meeseeks

Look, my rant isn't the end all, be all. Anybody could miss one here or there...

Except Arte LET TORII GO. Why? What a complete dumbass move! Torii wanted to stay. Torii wanted to win! As far as I'm concerned he would have been a bargain that wants to stay in OC, to be a part of the Pujols/Trout era, who would END HIS CAREER HERE! Who would lite a fire, be competitive, and work hard! Not to mention would have given 2+ years at 20% of Hamilton's price!

This only supports my point further. Marketing first. Who actually performs and deserves a fair contract comes last.

Arte's been duped by the league, and now he's paying for it.

fyi.  Just because the local tv deal is $150 million a year, does not mean the Angels get $150 million.  The Dodgers leaked documents showed that MLB gets something like 20-30%.  Don't remember how it's distributed. 

But also remember.  Just because we have an estimated $160 million opening day salary.  Doesn't mean the expenses for the team is $160 million.  From the other leaked documents, in 2008 the opening day salary was $119 million, but the major league operations expense was $143 million.  For 2009, opening day $113 million, expense was $139 million. 

So if it's about 120%, then just the major league operations is probably around $192 million.  TV deal is probably around $105-$120 million income.  $60-70 million in ticket sales, with an expense of about $16-20 million. 

My problem with him is he spends like a drunk sailor says oh I spent too much, no more spending.

I think you are giving him too much benefit of the doubt on this one. The team sells over 3 million tickets each year, and these aren't at stubhub prices, these should be full retail. Even if you discount the average ticket price to $20 that is $60 million right there, and I'd guess the real prices are much higher. 

Obviously they spend money outside of the team payroll, but the 40 man roster is the real big expense. Scioscia, Eppler and the rest of the front office together make about as much as Kole Calhoun. Player development, international talent, all of that stuff has been gutted.

The team also makes money from concessions and parking, which are huge. On top of that they are getting a ton of revenue from the league, with national tv deals, merchandise, MLBAM etc.

All of that is to say, even if they are bringing in less money than we think and spending more than we realize, the real issue comes down to Moreno not being willing to take on a loan to cover expenses for one season while we wait for Weaver and Wilson's contracts to expire. Virtually every team owes a little money, it's not a big deal.

Look, my rant isn't the end all, be all. Anybody could miss one here or there...

Except Arte LET TORII GO. Why? What a complete dumbass move! Torii wanted to stay. Torii wanted to win! As far as I'm concerned he would have been a bargain that wants to stay in OC, to be a part of the Pujols/Trout era, who would END HIS CAREER HERE! Who would lite a fire, be competitive, and work hard! Not to mention would have given 2+ years at 20% of Hamilton's price!

This only supports my point further. Marketing first. Who actually performs and deserves a fair contract comes last.

Arte's been duped by the league, and now he's paying for it.

Remember when Arte told Torii that there was no money left to sign him... then gave a ton of it to that loser Hamilton?

Now he's telling us there is no money... the real question is, which loser is in line for the next big pay day?

You two have selected memory. They wanted to sign Greinke with the money they had available. Hunter immediately signed with Detroit. Then Greinke signed with the Dodgers. So the money they had allocated to re-sign Greinke they signed Hamilton. This wasn't a "they chose Hamilton over Hunter" situation. There are real reasons to get pissed at Arte, the Hunter situation isn't really one of them.

You two have selected memory. They wanted to sign Greinke with the money they had available. Hunter immediately signed with Detroit. Then Greinke signed with the Dodgers. So the money they had allocated to re-sign Greinke they signed Hamilton. This wasn't a "they chose Hamilton over Hunter" situation. There are real reasons to get pissed at Arte, the Hunter situation isn't really one of them.

word has it that they never intended to sign Greinke and that Hamilton was the target all along.  That's how I heard it.  

I'm just glad that Arte doesn't have to answer to the fans. If the players don't get it done, they should be the ones answering to the fans. It's not like Arte has refused to fairly compensate them.

That only makes sense if the players are under performing to their capabilities. Just because you get paid a lot doesn't mean you are capable of earning that money. Take Weaver for example. Do you think he's trying to throw 83 mph? Of course not.

That only makes sense if the players are under performing to their capabilities. Just because you get paid a lot doesn't mean you are capable of earning that money. Take Weaver for example. Do you think he's trying to throw 83 mph? Of course not.

Arte pays him to win. That's how it works. In-n-out pays you to perform. If you fail to perform that's not on In-n-out. It's on you. If Weaver stinks out of the gate, he should walk away..

That's ridiculous Claude. Players should walk away from guaranteed contracts because they aren't winning. If that was how it worked we would have 29 teams with 25 players walking away each year. I'm not INO's best or top performing DM, should I quit? Oh and no Claude that isn't how it works, no matter how many times you claim that it isn't true.

The problem isn't spending money on F/A it's the signing the Angels have made.

From GMJ to Vernon Wells to Hamilton --all rotten deals when made and everyone said so.

Pujols long term contract ties up a lot of money and going in was going to have declining returns on the later years of the contract......but the F/A signing -- while very expensive -- was not a terrible signing -- many here - me included -- were very excited about Pujols joining the Angels.......and his numbers have been pretty good.

If you are going to sign a long term deal, be sure it's to the right guy -- (example: Trout -- even signing Weaver to that hometown discount longer term deal was a very good signing).

All of us are still scratching our heads about how you give a guy like Josh Hamilton a long term contract -- If he were in the NBA, he'd be a guy getting a series of TEN DAY contracts - incentive laden......Angels should have done a one year plus one year option (all incentive laden) for Hamilton......it was obvious to all of baseball and fans that you could not sign a guy like Hamilton with his history to a long term deal......

Remember when Arte told Torii that there was no money left to sign him... then gave a ton of it to that loser Hamilton?

Now he's telling us there is no money... the real question is, which loser is in line for the next big pay day?

remember when Torii said he would play here for free and then demanded a mult-year 8-figure contract?