• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If we had signed a big name LF?

zenmaster

My Off-season Plans (In Order):

1.   Health                                               - Check                                        

2.   Left field                                            - 

3.   Front-end Type Starting pitcher         -

4.   3rd Baseman                                   - Check

5.   Trade Additional Starting Pitching     -   

6.   Power Bullpen Arm/Solid Lefty         -

7.   Shortstop                                         - Check

8.   Farm                                                - 

9.   Bench                                              - Check

10. Second Base                                   - 

So far the off-season is looking a little incomplete. I could have thrown a few more categories in there but these are the most important ones I could think of for THIS off-season. A few of these moves still have/need time too develop. IMO, the draft is going to encourage a lot of fans and a few trades can always be brewing. Some of these moves are easier than others but I see a lot of unchecked boxes but the ones we did check, are very solid players. Personally, we should give Johnny another season to lose the position. He isn't necessarily an all-star but we also have bigger holes to fix. If something comes to fruition, then so be it but Johnny has more to prove IMO.

Edited by DailyHalo

I don't even like Escobar at 3rd base to be honest. He was really bad defensively last year. I would rather put Escobar at second base and try Cowart at Third Base. Giavotella can't field a baseball. I'm not saying Escobar would be a good defensive second baseman, but I think he has a better chance to be a better defensive second baseman than third basemen. He's proved he can't play third.

Should had thought about that before trading for him.

I don't even like Escobar at 3rd base to be honest. He was really bad defensively last year. I would rather put Escobar at second base and try Cowart at Third Base. Giavotella can't field a baseball. I'm not saying Escobar would be a good defensive second baseman, but I think he has a better chance to be a better defensive second baseman than third basemen. He's proved he can't play third.

Exactly right.  If were going all in on this whole defense thing, why put crappy defenders at 3rd and 2nd?

......He'll be a better defender than David "anti" Freese. There's a reason why our former third baseman, who was supposed to be leading the third base market, is still out in the cold. The best part is that Escobar is cheaper than Freese and gives Cowart one more year to develop, if need be. He could possibly even take over this year if Johnny s**t's the bed. Personally I don't see anything special in Kubitza and could be a nice piece in a trade.

Edited by DailyHalo

......He'll be a better defender than David "anti" Freese. There's a reason why our former third baseman, who was supposed to be leading the third base market, is still out in the cold. The best part is that Escobar is cheaper than Freese and gives Cowart one more year to develop, if need be. He could possibly even take over this year if Johnny s**t's the bed. Personally I don't see anything special in Kubitza and could be a nice piece in a trade.

Is there something even approximating a coherent point here?

Both David Freese (121 innings) and Yunel Escobar (139 innings) played 3B exclusively in 2015. Based on UZR/150, Freese rated +0.6 (average) and Escobar rated -9.8 (poor.) 2015 was Escobar's first MLB season at 3B since he played 22 games there in 2007, so comparing statistical performance between the two prior to 2015 isn't possible. However, based on this full season, Freese is a significantly superior defensive 3B compared to Escobar.

Escobar is a less expensive contract than Freese. Escobar is a better base runner than Freese. Escobar is a higher OBP bat than Freese (Freese is a better SLG bat.) Escobar in no way projects to be a better defensive 3B than Freese.

Is there something even approximating a coherent point here?

Both David Freese (121 innings) and Yunel Escobar (139 innings) played 3B exclusively in 2015. Based on UZR/150, Freese rated +0.6 (average) and Escobar rated -9.8 (poor.) 2015 was Escobar's first MLB season at 3B since he played 22 games there in 2007, so comparing statistical performance between the two prior to 2015 isn't possible. However, based on this full season, Freese is a significantly superior defensive 3B compared to Escobar.

Escobar is a less expensive contract than Freese. Escobar is a better base runner than Freese. Escobar is a higher OBP bat than Freese (Freese is a better SLG bat.) Escobar in no way projects to be a better defensive 3B than Freese.

I'm not going to argue that it should be expected that Escobar will be better but Escobar was learning a new position last year. He should certainly improve. Having been a solid SS for several years suggests he has the skills to play a decent 3B. I would like to see Cowart get a shot there though. I think he will be the best defensive 3B option we have and maybe the bat will surprise. Escobar would likely be a big improvement over Gia defensively and has a shot to be a big offensive improvement too.

I'm not going to argue that it should be expected that Escobar will be better but Escobar was learning a new position last year. He should certainly improve. Having been a solid SS for several years suggests he has the skills to play a decent 3B. I would like to see Cowart get a shot there though. I think he will be the best defensive 3B option we have and maybe the bat will surprise. Escobar would likely be a big improvement over Gia defensively and has a shot to be a big offensive improvement too.

ST may end up settling where he plays...   If any part of the Cowitza duo plays well, we may in fact end up seeing Escobar at 2B.