• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In this segment of 'Would you make this Deal?'

VariousCrap

Jeff Fletcher Retweeted Denver Post Rockies

Angels not one of the teams for Parra, but if Rockies get him expect Angels to take a shot at Blackmon.

Would You Do Tropeano for Blackmon?

So if Parra chooses the Rockies (rumored 3/24), Fletcher says to expect to the Angels to trade for Blackmon.  He said he thinks it would take Trop and maybe Bedrosian to get him.

Thoughts on this move?

no, Blackmon is not good. They could have had Nori Aoki for 5 million if they wanted a solid but unspectacular left fielder. Giving up a Major League ready #5 starter for a player of Blackmon's caliber is just dumb. Especially with Newcomb gone and Weaver/Wilson in their mid-30s

Edited by GrittyVeterans

Absolutely NOT.  Blackmon should be a fine defensive LF, and he should still hit 10 HR's and swipe 30 bags for the Angels.  However, a .250 BA and .300 OBP doesn't improve us by much in LF.  Tropeano's probably our third or fourth best starter right now.  I'd just as soon keep Treopano and wait until more payroll frees up than trade Tropeano for Blackmon.  

As I said before, I'd do Kubitza and a prospect like Alcantara for Blackmon, that's it.

Tropeano should be off-limits. 6 years of a mid rotation starter is worth more than 3 of a slightly better than replacement level LF. 

no, Blackmon is not good. They could have had Nori Aoki for 5 million if they wanted a solid but unspectacular left fielder. Giving up a Major League ready #5 starter for a player of Blackmon's caliber is just dumb. Especially with Newcomb gone and Weaver/Wilson in their mid-30s

That's what frustrates me. If weren't going all in why didn't we just sign Aoki if that's what our budget allowed for

That's what frustrates me. If weren't going all in why didn't we just sign Aoki if that's what our budget allowed for

Because Arte doesn't have a budget plan laid out for Eppler. It's ludicrous to blame Eppler for this when he's said to the media that he doesn't even know if Arte is willing to go into the luxury tax. 

This is an Arte issue, like most things are related to this organization right now

Edited by GrittyVeterans

Because Arte doesn't have a budget plan laid out for Eppler. It's ludicrous to blame Eppler for this when he's said to the media that he doesn't even know if Arte is willing to go into the luxury tax.

This is an Arte issue, like most things are related to this organization right now

I'm not blaming Eppler. I get the feeling Eppler had an idea what he could do in FA and Arte changed gears somewhere down the line

Well, perhaps Aoki didn't want to play here.

Folks, just because a guy signs for X dollars doesn't mean we could have offered that amount and he would have automatically signed here. We also don't have any idea how contracts are structured or what the small details may include - you know, like Handjob Tuesday. Artie's HJT budget may be tapped out.

But it isn't ludicrous to blame Eppler for blowing our prospect wad on a position we were already set at, all the while completely ignoring the bullpen and OF.  Then once he does actually acquire an OF, he spends one of our best young pitchers for an OF with a questionable bat.

With the exception of acquiring Pennington and Perhaps Soto, it's difficult to envision a worse offseason for the Angels without Reagins being in charge.  

How do you know this?

But it isn't ludicrous to blame Eppler for blowing our prospect wad on a position we were already set at, all the while completely ignoring the bullpen and OF.  Then once he does actually acquire an OF, he spends one of our best young pitchers for an OF with a questionable bat.

With the exception of acquiring Pennington and Perhaps Soto, it's difficult to envision a worse offseason for the Angels without Reagins being in charge.  

What prospect wad? Newcomb and Ellis got us our SS for the next 6 years. He's an elite defender and an average hitter for a short stop. You really need to gain some perspective on the SS position and realize that Tulowitzki's hardly exist. If you can get a 5 WAR player in his prime to be your SS for you, it's not a terrible trade. Simmons is significantly better and younger than Aybar and therefore is an upgrade to the roster

"Prospect wad" is hilarious btw, this team had exactly 1 good prospect - Newcomb - and Eppler used him to get a stud SS in his prime. Dipoto/Moreno were unable to accumulate any other good prospects for Eppler to do his job. The fact you're putting that on him is absurd considering he just got here 3 months ago. It's a trash situation for him to come into

The problem for Eppler is that the dumbass owner didn't tell him what the budget is. He therefore had no idea if he could sign Hayward/Cespedes/Upton or if he should focus on acquiring cheaper options. The trade market is not good and we again have no prospects. So how is this on him again?

Arte literally gave the guy 15 million and said "make this a playoff team". And he knew full well we didn't have the trade assets for that to be possible.

Well, perhaps Aoki didn't want to play here.

Folks, just because a guy signs for X dollars doesn't mean we could have offered that amount and he would have automatically signed here. We also don't have any idea how contracts are structured or what the small details may include - you know, like Handjob Tuesday. Artie's HJT budget may be tapped out.

Exactly.  Why would he want to play for a guy who hates Asians.  

We gave up Newcomb for an elite SS, I don't have a problem with that. I just wish he could have kept Aybar and traded him for a LFer. Or worked an outfielder out of Atlanta in addition to Simmons. I would much rather give up Newcomb for an elite SS, than a left fielder. Left field should be a helluva a lot easier to come by than this.

Absolutely NOT. Blackmon should be a fine defensive LF, and he should still hit 10 HR's and swipe 30 bags for the Angels. However, a .250 BA and .300 OBP doesn't improve us by much in LF. Tropeano's probably our third or fourth best starter right now. I'd just as soon keep Treopano and wait until more payroll frees up than trade Tropeano for Blackmon.

As I said before, I'd do Kubitza and a prospect like Alcantara for Blackmon, that's it.

Tropeano should be off-limits. 6 years of a mid rotation starter is worth more than 3 of a slightly better than replacement level LF.

Tropeano Shouldn't be off-limits and he's Not a mid rotation starter, he's a back end stater. That being said I wouldn't move him for Blackmon. Edited by HBMike

We gave up Newcomb for an elite SS, I don't have a problem with that. I just wish he could have kept Aybar and traded him for a LFer. Or worked an outfielder out of Atlanta in addition to Simmons. I would much rather give up Newcomb for an elite SS, than a left fielder. Left field should be a helluva a lot easier to come by than this.

Theoretically.  Unless you have no money or organizational currency because you spent most of it on said elite SS.