• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giants Sign Span

mulwin444

so it seems that the CWS have pulled themselves out by only offering 3yrs.  The Rangers apparently don't have the money.  Baltimore is probably going to sign Davis.  That leaves us and the Nats for Cespedes and Upton.  Plus Fowler and Autin Jackson are left.  Dark horses could be SD and Detroit.  

I felt like the Giants were one of the biggest suitors from one of the top names.  The fact that they have signed Span is potentially a good thing.  

so it seems that the CWS have pulled themselves out by only offering 3yrs.  The Rangers apparently don't have the money.  Baltimore is probably going to sign Davis.  That leaves us and the Nats for Cespedes and Upton.  Plus Fowler and Autin Jackson are left.  Dark horses could be SD and Detroit.  

I felt like the Giants were one of the biggest suitors from one of the top names.  The fact that they have signed Span is potentially a good thing.  

Yep. Hopefully Arte makes a "take it or leave it" offer of 6/18 to Upton.

I'll just say this, if the Angels enter 2016 without a LF, coming off a free agency where Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, Gordon, Span, Fowler and Jackson were all available, then it will be considered the biggest whiff of recent history, even bigger than the time Tony Reagins whiffed on Carl Crawford and Adrian Beltre. 

I mean, even if you have an owner that won't sign off on a major contract, then fine.  Trade C.J. Wilson and save 8 million, suddenly you're back under budget and you can afford to sign Span or even Gordon and stay under the luxury tax. 

I'll just say this, if the Angels enter 2016 without a LF, coming off a free agency where Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, Gordon, Span, Fowler and Jackson were all available, then it will be considered the biggest whiff of recent history, even bigger than the time Tony Reagins whiffed on Carl Crawford and Adrian Beltre.

I mean, even if you have an owner that won't sign off on a major contract, then fine. Trade C.J. Wilson and save 8 million, suddenly you're back under budget and you can afford to sign Span or even Gordon and stay under the luxury tax.

I obviously agree with you. However, Gordon wasn't coming here for anywhere near what he signed in KC. He deffered too much and gave up too much overall salary to think he was signing anywhere else.

If Davis does re-sign with Baltimore and the Angels staying under the CBT, that really reduces the options for Upton & Cespedes. White Sox don't want to go over 3 years, Giants are good now with Span. Low market teams won't be interested. I think Upton will eventually get a deal with the Nats. But Cespedes, i think might get left without a team unless he drops his demands. Can't picture a team that would be able to pay his demands.

If Davis does re-sign with Baltimore and the Angels staying under the CBT, that really reduces the options for Upton & Cespedes. White Sox don't want to go over 3 years, Giants are good now with Span. Low market teams won't be interested. I think Upton will eventually get a deal with the Nats. But Cespedes, i think might get left without a team unless he drops his demands. Can't picture a team that would be able to pay his demands.

Detroit, or the Mets eventually.

Angels may just try to offer a big one-year deal to either of them and let them retry market next year.

Offer either 1-yr at $20m, go over the tax for one season (off the books next year since Arte is still nervous about going over in '17 as well) and offer a QO so we get a pick. Hope the stars align.

Player gets paid well enough that it probably offsets them waiting a year and re-entering in next year's thin class.

Edited by totdprods

Angels may just try to offer a big one-year deal to either of them and let them retry market next year.

Offer either 1-yr at $20m, go over the tax for one season (off the books next year since Arte is still nervous about going over in '17 as well) and offer a QO so we get a pick. Hope the stars align.

Player gets paid well enough that it probably offsets them waiting a year and re-entering in next year's thin class.

It's going to have to be a lot more than 20 million if anyone signs a 1 year deal. Like, 30+ million. And even that might not be enough.

$20m may be low, but I think $30m is too high. Cespedes probably least likely to take it, but someone like Upton who has some youth could take a 1/$25m and if he performs well would probably land a contract as good if not better than what he'd receive this year,w with an extra $25m already pocketed.

Span would've been a good plan B. Because of my skepticism as to his ability to play a quality OF much less use his speed which is his predominant weapon. I mean what are the chances he ends up hitting .260/.330 with no power, little or no speed and no defense? What are the chances he ends up hitting .300/.360 with 40 SB like he did before hip surgery?

I mean, the way I'm seeing it, .280/.340 and 20 SB with OK defense is probably a likely result. The contract seems spot on.