• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Kendrick reunion becoming increasingly likely?

Second Base

1. The Angels have not done enough to upgrade the offense and remain competetive. The price tags on middle of the order hitting LF has jumped out of control, and the Angels need to upgrade somewhere.

2. Eppler is big on communication and has obviously managed to get on Mike's good side by bringing back Roenicke and Black. Kendrick is already familiar with the clubhouse and is a guaranteed commodity.

3. Acquiring Simmons, Pennington and Soto clearly signaled an emphasis on defense for Eppler. He even believes (as do I) that Escobar will turn into a good defensive 3B. So it can't sit right with Eppler to have Giavotella, the worst defensive 2B in in MLB as Simmons' double play partner. Kendrick has been a very good defensive 2B throughout his career.

4. The market is shrinking by the minute for teams willing to acquire a 30-something 2B and surrender a draft pick, meaning his price range may fall into something the Angels can afford.

5. The Angels sit 4 million below the luxury tax. Signing Kendrick to a two year 22 million dollar deal with a third year option would slot them 7 million above the luxury tax line. Meanwhile, Eppler finds a suitor for CJ Wilson as ST approaches and brings in a middle relief arm, and approximately 7 million in salary relief. Eppler manages to upgrade the offense, improve the defense, secure an unsteady relief corps, and retain a fan favorite all while remaining below the luxury tax level.

I guess if I had to predict I'd say it isn't going to happen. But it all seems to lineup logically,

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

I have a feeling the price of some of these guys, perhaps including some of the big leftfielders, is going to plummet soon. Half the top 25 free agents are still available, despite the fact it is three days until Christmas. I am guessing that is because there simply isn't a huge market left.

What times are still ready to spend money? The Nationals and Cardinals...perhaps the Mets and Dodgers may also be willing to spend a little?

I dislike the idea of "wasting" a first-round draft pick on anything less than an Upton, Gordon or Cespedes.

To be honest, it is hard imagining any team wanting to lose a first round pick for Kendrick, or several others of the free agents who refused qualifying offers. I'm wondering if we're going to see some of these guys out of baseball until after the June draft.

Hmm...Howie or Daniel Murphy as a June boost if the Gio Experiment fails might be nice.

We can speculate all we want but as of right now it isn't looking like the Angels are signing anyone significant.

I would also be pretty pissed if they threw away a draft pick on anyone but Upton or Gordon.

At least not significant enough to warrant spending more than $4 million in 2016.

And, yes, this would be a waste of coughing up a pick, even the #25. We have to rebuild the farm, and it's gotta start somewhere.

I have a feeling the price of some of these guys, perhaps including some of the big leftfielders, is going to plummet soon. Half the top 25 free agents are still available, despite the fact it is three days until Christmas. I am guessing that is because there simply isn't a huge market left.

What times are still ready to spend money? The Nationals and Cardinals...perhaps the Mets and Dodgers may also be willing to spend a little?

I'm wondering at what point some of these guys seriously think about 1 year deals with their former clubs.  Upton back to SD for a year, then coming out when the market just stinks makes sense. 

Gordon is probably most likely to go back to KC with a discounted deal, since it doesn't look like he is getting high offers makes sense. 

Cespedes has no pick attached, so he is most likely to find a place somewhere.

Fowler might be in limbo, because of his pick attachment.  Someone who already burned a first round pick though might be interested since his pricetag shouldn't be that high compared to the others.  

This market is also strange in that Davis is really the only 1B available, and he's getting almost no action. 

Flop you're right about the Howie part but not the money part in my opinion. If they are currently $4 million under and signed Howie to $11 million a year contract they go over by $7 million. But if they shed payroll be trading CJ and got someone to eat $8 million, then signed one of the big four to a $19 million a year contract, they still go over by $7 million.

Flop you're right about the Howie part but not the money part in my opinion. If they are currently $4 million under and signed Howie to $11 million a year contract they go over by $7 million. But if they shed payroll be trading CJ and got someone to eat $8 million, then signed one of the big four to a $19 million a year contract, they still go over by $7 million.

thats a lot of moving parts... bottom line to me is that you do pay the tax on a little if you are going to pay it... seems to not make a lot of sense to incur the penalty over a couple million.  

They are not going to blow the luxury tax for a 7 mil deal... no way no how.  If they blow it they will blow it grandly... and this is not that.  it would make that 7 mil look more like 20, simply makes no sense to go over the tax for that deal. 

Well, it wouldn't make it look like 20. I believe the tax for going over the threshold for the first time is 17% (not sure about the exact percentage) of the overage. That would make it 17% of $3 million, which is just over $500k. So that would make it seem like $7.5 million.

The big issue with signing HK or Murphy in June, if no one else has signed them, is that they will have been on the sidelines since September/October.

It would take them time to get up to speed again.

No matter what was said, just go with Gio at 2B in April.

Then if he struggles defensively and takes a step back at the plate, gamble and move Escobar to 2B and see if Kubitza/Cowart can handle 3B.

Big things to be done, at the least, are a) getting at least someone like Parra in here for the OF, and B) adding a solid 7th/8th inning reliever.  

Well, it wouldn't make it look like 20. I believe the tax for going over the threshold for the first time is 17% (not sure about the exact percentage) of the overage. That would make it 17% of $3 million, which is just over $500k. So that would make it seem like $7.5 million.

true, i overstated that, the penalty is based on the percentage of the overage.  still though if you are going to incur it and set yourself up for even worse next year it makes little sense to do it over a million or two in any case.