• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Nats discussing deal for Yunel Escobar.

Richard

I don't really care about losing Gott, I'm just pretty disappointed in our 'solution' at second base. Escobar is better than Giavotella, but I'm not sure he'll put as many wins on the board as Johnny did in 2015.

I doubt highly they are going to try and teach Escobar a new position at his age.

More than likely, I think Escobar slots in at 3rd right now. Gives them BIG time Freese leverage, 

With Freese's market pretty dry so far, this presses Freese's camp a bit and puts the Angels at an advantage. They can argue they have $7m 3B and that they don't have a need any longer. Escobar arguably will bring the same production as Freese for less money on a two-year deal (second year is an option) but the benefit here is Escobar could also play second or short AND can hit #1-2.

Escobar is pretty much a more versatile Freese that can leadoff. Good move. 

I agree with this but it assumes we are going to spend more money in the infield, or role with what kept us out of the post season last year.

If we are still looking for a good infielder, then I will be fine with this move. If we add Upton and Murphy I will be very happy with this offseason.

you don't think Escobar will be worth 1 win?  

He should be worth at least that. He had a 2 WAR last year. Steamer projects him at 1.3 next year. Typically, $6-7M = 1 WAR. He has a 21 WAR over 9 big league seasons. Outside of a -.1 blip, he's been in the 2-3 range for the most part throughout his career. If he gives us 3-4 over the next 2 years, and he could given his track record, he'll be a bargain.

I agree with this but it assumes we are going to spend more money in the infield, or role with what kept us out of the post season last year.

If we are still looking for a good infielder, then I will be fine with this move. If we add Upton and Murphy I will be very happy with this offseason.

Yeah I can get down with this scenario

I agree, which is why we need a real upgrade somewhere.

the real upgrade would come with Escobar putting up his usual numbers and when he sits, he's replaced by a capable pennington (who I wouldn't discount being our opening day 2bman btw).  

we had a 0.3 collective WAR from 2b last year.  We are already in a much better position in that regard. 

Still a lot of work to do though.  

Has never played 2B so this seems like goodbye to Freese and time to give Cowart another year in the minors.

Contract will be $8M since there is a $1M team buyout for 2017.

Batted 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th when in Tampa in 2013 and 2014 but Nats batted him mostly 2nd or 3rd and even 24 games at lead-off and some in the clean up spot.

So yes a bunch of prospects for Street and Escobar...not bad

If Escobar is playing 3B, I don't think the Angels will have any interest in Freese

Angels can move Esco to 2nd.

I don't think it's Plan A, but if late in the offseason Freese is available, we have some money, and feel the offense can improve still, it could be an option. All I'm saying is the Angels can tell Freese's camp that they already have someone who can deliver the same production as Freese and play multiple positions for $7m, and for them to be interested in having David back it's going to have to be around that number.

Forgive me if this has been pointed out as I'm skipping quite a few pages to avoid reading how the Angels have mortgaged their future by trading away a 50 inning guy..   But I think this is worth considering..

Career leading off: .290/356/.412.  

It's not a handful of at bats either -- he's over 1100 plate appearances leading off -- and the numbers batting second are pretty close: .294/.360/.395

Edited by Inside Pitch

Forgive me if this has been pointed out as I'm skipping quite a few pages to avoid reading how the Angels have mortgaged their future by trading away a 50 inning guy..   But I think this is worth considering..

Career leading off: .290/356/.412.  

It's not a handful of at bats either -- he's over 1100 plate appearances leading off -- and the numbers batting second are pretty close: .294/.360/.395

BUT

the real upgrade would come with Escobar putting up his usual numbers and when he sits, he's replaced by a capable pennington (who I wouldn't discount being our opening day 2bman btw).  

we had a 0.3 collective WAR from 2b last year.  We are already in a much better position in that regard. 

Still a lot of work to do though.  

Color me skeptical. I see some new names, some potentially altered roles, and a whole lot of similar production. Escobar is a cheaper, more on base focused version of David Freese. That's all nice but if that's it for the infield you can convince me we are a half win better but so what? 

Hasn't played 2B since 2007.....I just don't think that's where they're gonna play him. I think he's their 3B to replace Freese and the main appeal(to the Angels) is that it's really just a one yr deal for Escobar whereas they would have had to sign Freese to a multi-year deal

Escobar gives them another stop-gap option at 3B and then next year they go another route with perhaps Kubitza or Cowart or another trade/FA

Source: #Angels’ intention, if trade is completed, is to play Escobar at 3B. If team re-signs Freese, LAA can shift him to 2B.

So it could be

Escobar

Calhoun

Trout

Pujols

LF

Freese

Perez

Simmons

Edit: There's only one Calhoun..that we know of.

Edited by Richard

Hasn't played 2B since 2007.....I just don't think that's where they're gonna play him. I think he's their 3B to replace Freese and the main appeal(to the Angels) is that it's really just a one yr deal for Escobar whereas they would have had to sign Freese to a multi-year deal

Escobar gives them another stop-gap option at 3B and then next year they go another route with perhaps Kubitza or Cowart or another trade/FA

I agree that it isn't likely. Freese would have to fall into their lap and the rest of the offseason would have to fall apart. But it's an option and leverage.

Love that we have a leadoff hitter finally.