• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Nats discussing deal for Yunel Escobar.

Richard

Should I tell everyone else that finds this to be a positive mood not to be happy about it as well? It was a young pitcher with ONE pitch. We got a starting 2nd baseman or 3rd baseman. It means we probably aren't going after Freese. It also means we added some money so to me it makes sense they will be adding more money. As far as being too stingy to spend money, that makes zero sense in this instance. We added money.

I hate trading pitchers and my initial reaction was vitriolic because I hate trading pitchers––and this makes the team older.

Relief pitchers are going for a premium these days, and the Angels just traded a cost controlled, young pitcher for a 1 year rental. It's stingy because they could have signed a FA 2B. Now the team will need to find a decent BP arm just to replace Gott. 

"Writing in the Howard trade got me thinking about a couple of sexy and releastic, yet challenging to manifacture lineups.

But just as a concensus, which of the two would everyone pick?

1. Holt 2B (.349 OBP)
2. Escobar 3B (.375 OBP)
3. Trout CF (.992 OPS)
4. Upton LF (.454 SLG... .491 a year ago)
5. Pujols 1B (40 Hr)
6. Calhoun RF (23db, 26hr)
7. Cron DH (.739 OPS)
8. Perez C (.250 BA)
9. Simmons SS (.321 OBP)

Or

I think both of these two lineups are drastically better than last year's. Not necessarily in terms of talent, but because we have role players. Escobar/Holt/Prado are not all star hitters but they might as well be because of the difference their added OBP and contact rates would make in front of Trout and the rest of the middle of the lineup."

-From a post I made on Nov. 25

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Holt and Upton incoming!

Honestly though, I like this trade. I've proposed a trade for Escobar here and there (along with Prado, Walker, etc.). Sucks that we gave up Gott but if we can sign a BP arm like Sipp or Bastardo I'd say its a great deal considering we kept Santiago as a trade piece. 

Edited by marcosantinia12

More than likely, I think Escobar slots in at 3rd right now. Gives them BIG time Freese leverage, 

With Freese's market pretty dry so far, this presses Freese's camp a bit and puts the Angels at an advantage. They can argue they have $7m 3B and that they don't have a need any longer. Escobar arguably will bring the same production as Freese for less money on a two-year deal (second year is an option) but the benefit here is Escobar could also play second or short AND can hit #1-2.

Escobar is pretty much a more versatile Freese that can leadoff. Good move. 

I hate trading pitchers and my initial reaction was vitriolic because I hate trading pitchers––and this makes the team older.

Relief pitchers are going for a premium these days, and the Angels just traded a cost controlled, young pitcher for a 1 year rental. It's stingy because they could have signed a FA 2B. Now the team will need to find a decent BP arm just to replace Gott.

I get what you are saying I really do, but Gott isn't some guy that has an arsenal that made him great. I have this feeling he is going to come back down to earth a bit. Yunel has an option year next year, so it is probably a two year deal. Lastly the going price for a nice pen arm to replace Gott is $5-8 million, the cost for Howie or Freese or Murphy is much more.

Escobar is probably being slotted into the 3rd base role. That would clear payroll space that Freese would have sucked up leaving room to spend on left field. That said it means they didn't long term commit to the position which means Cowart and Kubitza fight for playing time. 

In the short time I've been writing this 17 new replies have been added. You guys are pretty excited for any news.

More than likely, I think Escobar slots in at 3rd right now. Gives them BIG time Freese leverage, 

With Freese's market pretty dry so far, this presses Freese's camp a bit and puts the Angels at an advantage. They can argue they have $7m 3B and that they don't have a need any longer. Escobar arguably will bring the same production as Freese for less money on a two-year deal (second year is an option) but the benefit here is Escobar could also play second or short AND can hit #1-2.

Escobar is pretty much a more versatile Freese that can leadoff. Good move. 

If Escobar is playing 3B, I don't think the Angels will have any interest in Freese

This is a fair trade.  Escobar isn't going to hit .314 again, but I think both sides know that, and it's why he only cost a young reliever.  If he were a .314/.375 middle infielder consistently, he'd have cost a hell of a lot more.  

I like the idea of him becoming a 2bman.  He was a natural SS so I would think that's a better fit and will mean Griffin has something to work with.  If he puts up a .340obp, it would be the 2nd best on the team of the starters by 30 points.  

Freese is gone, IMO. Gio might be as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Escobar at 2b, Kubitza/Cowart at 3b and hit the FA market for LH and RP.

I think this would be a disaster. We need to bring Freese back at this point. I was all for giving the kids a shot if we added a sure bet plus infielder, but we have not done that.