• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros acquire RHP Ken Giles from Phillies

bloodbrother

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

astros indeed close to deal for ken giles, @JSalisburyCSN 1st. velasquz expected to go to philly as part of package

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

Told #Astros getting closer Ken Giles from Phillies for pitchers: Vince Velasquez, Bret Oberholtzer &OF Derek Fisher, pending physicals

Angels will have to be facing this guy in the 9th inning for the foreseeable future

1.80 ERA last season with 87 K's in 70 IP

Edited by bloodbrother

Apparently the Phillies are getting another player as well. Very good deal for them though. Of course, the Astros farm is so deep that they can do this and still be completely fine. They just added a 1st division closer who is under team control for 5 more seasons

Good, continue to give up prospects for closers.

Astros apparently didn't trade Derek Fisher in the deal after all

Todd Zolecki Verified account ‏@ToddZolecki

Giles trade is official. Phillies receive RHPs Vincent Velasquez, Mark Appel, Thomas Eshelman and Harold Arauz and LHP Brett Oberholtzer.

some 'sexy' names there, but not nearly as much substance as the kimbrel deal.  

Appel isn't the bees knees that people thought he would be.  maybe he goes all 'jake arietta' but I doubt it.   Oberholtzer doesn't miss bats - he's a back end starter at best.   Eschelman - too early to tell.  Arauz is the same.  mostly a throw in.  Velasquez is clearly the centerpiece.  

The deal certainly erodes a bit a Houston's depth, but they probably gave up one, maybe two from their top ten.  

Granted, it is a significant bounty for a closer.  A position mostly poo pooed by teams inclined to rely heavily on advanced metrics yet we have seen a couple of teams now that are known to be stat inclined pay a large amount.  

I have always felt that high leverage relievers were undervalued by some of the new metrics.  In particular closers.  Who, in my opinion, aren't just your typical back end guys.  They are the last man out and work without a net.  To be able to get the last out without any back up night in and night out is worth something.  

So it makes me think that with the large returns coming for closers paid by teams that are known to be reliant on advanced stats they have figured out that they are worth more than first thought.  

Edited by Dochalo

Including FOUR starting pitchers....   Some of the shine is off those names -- but failed starters tend to make very good relievers down the road...  

I thought Klentak did an outstanding job. Velasquez and Appel still have solid rotation upside. Olber gives them a LHP and his peripherals aren't horrible but they're not great either. Eshelman has potential too.

Giles never would have gone for this price 2 years ago.

I thought Klentak did an outstanding job. Velasquez and Appel still have solid rotation upside. Olber gives them a LHP and his peripherals aren't horrible but they're not great either. Eshelman has potential too.

I think any good organization starts and ends with pitching. He took a great RP and might've turned him into 3-4 good SP. That's a chance you have to take, especially considering how strong they'll be playing to 2018 free agent market, which is shaping up to be the strongest of all time.

This is IMO such a massive win for Klentak it's not funny.