• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2B Jose Fernandez leaves Cuba, seeks MLB deal

"...he’s struck out just 113 times in 2,580 career plate appearances in Serie Nacional â€” a rate of just 4.3 percent. That number is even more impressive when juxtaposed with his 10.1 percent walk rate (263 walks in those 2,580 PAs). All told, Fernandez is a .319/.403/.423 hitter in his Cuban career, not including international tournaments like the 2013 World Baseball Classic, where he batted .524/.545/.667 in 21 at-bat without striking out, per Badler..."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/second-baseman-jose-fernandez-leaves-cuba.html

Don't know too much about this guy and from what it sounds like he won't be able to be signed before opening day, but seems like an interesting option given the Angels 2B situation.  He is also exempt from the international bonus pool so I think that means the Angels can sign him.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Okay? So go into the season with Giavotella or Pennington playing second, then move them when Fernandez is ready. 

The main issue with that is relying on signing him.  Its no guarantee they will be able to sign him and you don't want to be left .  I think it should depend on what becomes available by trade.  If they are able to deal Santiago for a 2B with 2 or 3 more years of control, then this guy isn't really needed.  However, if they are unable to obtain a solid solution, then they might sign a guy to a one year deal or trade lesser pieces for a guy with one year left on his contract.  In that scenario they could try to sign Fernandez and if they are unsuccessful they still have a solid 2B.

The main issue with that is relying on signing him. Its no guarantee they will be able to sign him and you don't want to be left . I think it should depend on what becomes available by trade. If they are able to deal Santiago for a 2B with 2 or 3 more years of control, then this guy isn't really needed. However, if they are unable to obtain a solid solution, then they might sign a guy to a one year deal or trade lesser pieces for a guy with one year left on his contract. In that scenario they could try to sign Fernandez and if they are unsuccessful they still have a solid 2B.

I think the key with this is the returning player has to have 2-3 years of control and idk if we would get a decent enough piece of that control for Santiago.

I agree its no guarantee to sign him, but I say go completely nuts and pay him what it takes. Even if we outbid on other teams the value of signing him from the international market will be substantially higher than the value per dollar we'd get signing a guy here.

There's the risk factor that he has to translate his game to the majors but I feel like this guy has a solid foundation that makes it less likely that he will bust due to his high contact rate and extremely well plate discipline. Maybe he isn't the star he is in Cuba but how about .280/.360/.400 w/ little power and not great speed, but not slow either. Sounds like a great #2 hitter/tablesetter in front of Trout.

Okay? So go into the season with Giavotella or Pennington playing second, then move them when Fernandez is ready.

You're making an assumption that we will win the bidding and that he wants to sign with us which is really dangerous to do. What if his dream since he was a little boy was to play with the Yankees, Braves, or some other team? What if another team valuates him higher than we do? Then we're stuck with Giavotella or Pennington.

Other then he's a 2b and a guy that happens to be accessible on the international market, I don't get the excitement over this guy.  Seems like not a lot of upside.  average at best defensively, no pop, no speed.  Multiple easily found assessments indicate this.  Plus, he wont even be signable until potentially after the season starts.  For me this is an easy pass, and i am definitely a guy that wants to see the Angels do more internationally.

You're making an assumption that we will win the bidding and that he wants to sign with us which is really dangerous to do. What if his dream since he was a little boy was to play with the Yankees, Braves, or some other team? What if another team valuates him higher than we do? Then we're stuck with Giavotella or Pennington.

The Angels could sell him on hanging out with Baldoquin, another boy from his hood.

This paralissis because you think he might not accept an offer is silly. He isn't taking a plane from Cuba to Anaheim. His first stop is Arizona, then San Berdo and off to Arkansas before ever sees a game in a MLB uniform. In other words he might get a September roster call.

So what we have before he signs is what the Angels are going with for 2016. That is probably Giavotella, just accept it and get over the 6 starting position players change in roster fantasy.

The Angels could sell him on hanging out with Baldoquin, another boy from his hood.

This paralissis because you think he might not accept an offer is silly. He isn't taking a plane from Cuba to Anaheim. His first stop is Arizona, then San Berdo and off to Arkansas before ever sees a game in a MLB uniform. In other words he might get a September roster call.

So what we have before he signs is what the Angels are going with for 2016. That is probably Giavotella, just accept it and get over the 6 starting position players change in roster fantasy.

Truly a flippant response Notti I deserve better than that.

The fact is that Jose Fernandez will take an investment of money that the Angels cannot afford to spend on a player, as you put it, may be a September call up. It's an investment they really can't afford to make if the goal is (as it should be) to win now and over the next four years.

Not sure what you are getting at with the 6 starting positions players change in roster fantasy. It doesn't even make sense. We are talking about the real team here not FB.

The fact is that Jose Fernandez will take an investment of money that the Angels cannot afford to spend on a player, as you put it, may be a September call up. It's an investment they really can't afford to make if the goal is (as it should be) to win now and over the next four years.

Not sure what you are getting at with the 6 starting positions players change in roster fantasy. It doesn't even make sense. We are talking about the real team here not FB.

notti  makes a fair point about the realistic number of changes in position players between the 2015 and 2016 25 man rosters.

It's more of an AW - internet discussion (fantasy) concept to swap six starters than a real life possibility. Starting the 2016 season with new players at 2B, 3B, SS, and LF is a lot. There needs to be some continuity. 

A new LF is required: an acceptable starter isn't currently on the roster. Replacing Freese at 3B or Giavotella at 2B are both reasonable possibilities (individually), but a new 2B, 3B, SS, and LF is extreme. If the Angels sign a 2B (Kendrick, Murphy, Zobrist), it makes sense to roll with Cowart/Kubitza at 3B. But, going with Perez/Soto at C, Giavotella at 2B, and Cowart/Kubitza at 3B probably isn't wise either.

It always impresses me when someone is so flippant yet so ignorant in one post.

Fernandez would be a great guy to target but you'd probably prepare for a 2017 debut. Reports say he's major-league ready but there's still a tough transition over to the states and I'd assume the team would want him in the minors to start. And if he isn't signed and over here until May, you're looking at a September call up at the earliest.

Still, he has a pretty high floor as a serviceable starter who can hit for average, not strike out, get on base a little bit and play average defense. Do it Eppler. 

It's not flippant, Fernandez won't cost against the salary cap when signed as a minor league player not on the 40 man roster. So you invented something in your head that doesn't exist, some salary cap for a minor league player. He also doesn't cost to the international signing pool money so there is no penalty. In essence he is a free agent without the tax concern that fills a minor league slot that has no player of his caliber.

Where I'm going with the 6 starting players is that when you freak out about Giavotella at 2nd and needing in your head to replace him that leaves a replacement player on the roster for 2nd,3rd, left, SS (already done) backup catcher (already done) and at least one reliever. That's 6 players, not counting the guys the Angels already are filling the bench with.

How much of this roster has to be replaced? A minor league contract is the least of the Angels money worries.

It's not flippant, Fernandez won't cost against the salary cap when signed as a minor league player not on the 40 man roster. So you invented something in your head that doesn't exist, some salary cap for a minor league player. He also doesn't cost to the international signing pool money so there is no penalty. In essence he is a free agent without the tax concern that fills a minor league slot that has no player of his caliber.

Where I'm going with the 6 starting players is that when you freak out about Giavotella at 2nd and needing in your head to replace him that leaves a replacement player on the roster for 2nd,3rd, left, SS (already done) backup catcher (already done) and at least one reliever. That's 6 players, not counting the guys the Angels already are filling the bench with.

How much of this roster has to be replaced? A minor league contract is the least of the Angels money worries.

Notti what makes you think that Fernandez will sign a Minor League contract? It was not just a year ago where they thought he'd come over on a Major League deal? He is Major League ready and he'll very likely get a significant contract.

And when did I EVER say or do anything to make you think I'm freaking out about the 2B situation?

I simply implied with my original statement that Giavotella isn't a good solution. You're trying to read way too much into the words that I wrote and my state of mind so that's your assumption and problem not mine.