• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Abject Failure.

UndertheHalo

http://www.mlbtrader...sniel-diaz.html

The Dodgers have agreed to sign Cuban outfielder Yusniel Diaz to a $15.5MM deal, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com.  Furthermore, the Dodgers and Omar Estevez have agreed to a pact that will pay the infielder $6MM.

The Angels are very bad at the international scouting thing.  Who knows if this guy ever turns into anything, but I don't understand why we have basically no presence.  We found Aybar, Santana, and Morales internationally.  All during the Moreno era, those are 3 good everyday MLB players.  I'd say the success rate looks pretty good vs. our domestic efforts in the same time span.  I get thats a bit of hypebole but the point stands.  Its just really stupid how we handle this arena of talent procurment.  Dodgers are a lot smarter in this regard.  Mean while we blew our entire wad on Baldoquin, a guy who looks ****ing terrible.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

Angels had really good international scouting early in the 00s but then iirc the international scouting director got exposed for fraud or something and the entire department was cleaned out because of it. Struggled ever since.

yea, i remember that.  Still just seems like the organization doesn't even try.  Its pretty stupid I think.

Baldoquin is going to be one of the bigger determiner of Dipoto for me.

He shot the whole wad on this kid.

Yea, we should probably hold judgement on him.  Just tough cause his first go round was so bad, though not all of it was entirely his fault I guess.  This coming season its gonna be really important for him to show something though.

Edited by UndertheHalo

I don't profess to be a scout but with our weak farm, the ban on amateur international signings and Arte's thing about the salary cap, I would think we ought to spend our money on professional Asian free agents....cheaper than the premium American FAs....

Edited by DMVol

I believe the Angels can't sign any of these guys until around June, when their 2 year penalty is up for signing Baldoquin.

havent the Dodgers gone way over in terms of dollars ?  I thought I read that they're paying like a 100% penalty on him.  I admit i'm not terribly familiar with how the international thing works now.  Especially the bit about the window you have to sign guys.  Also, isn't an international draft coming ?? thats what makes sense anyway.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

he was subject to the international bonus pool so we weren't eligible to sign him anyway.   

Yes, which makes part of the premise of this thread rather silly. That is not to say though that the way we have handled things on the international market hasn't been dreadful since Stoneman left. What really perplexed me, whether Baldoquin turns out to be good or not, is that we signed him and then didn't go hard at others while we still had the chance. We knew we weren't going to be able to get anything done for awhile once that year ended as soon as we sign Baldoquin, so surely you take the chance while you still can and look to sign others too? Apparently not.

I should point out that the decision to spend big on Baldoquin was in part due to the realization that the next Collective Bargaining Agreement will likely put in place an International Draft which will eliminate this whole system they currently have in place thus there was no reason to not go out and buy at least one player (Baldoquin in this case) when they did. The only problem was we didn't go after the big fish but to be fair it was a lot of money.

Yes, which makes part of the premise of this thread rather silly. That is not to say though that the way we have handled things on the international market hasn't been dreadful since Stoneman left. What really perplexed me, whether Baldoquin turns out to be good or not, is that we signed him and then didn't go hard at others while we still had the chance. We knew we weren't going to be able to get anything done for awhile once that year ended as soon as we sign Baldoquin, so surely you take the chance while you still can and look to sign others too? Apparently not.

ah, so thats how it works....theres a window once you spend the limit on money ?  If i understand you correctly ?  Also, the premise of the thread was not to criticize not being in on this guy the dodgers got specifically.  I just wanted to start a discussion about why the Angels have done so little in the international arena.  It seemed like the news that the Dodgers landed ANOTHER one of these guys was as good a reason to start the conversation as any. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

All I'm saying is that Arte should have first hand knowledge of how there's plenty of international talent that can contribute meaningfully at the major league level. This is the point I'm trying to make.

Yes, because Arte is a brown person. 

The team absolutely needs to get back into the thick of things in the international market. I'm not counting Baldoquin as a failure quite yet so we'll see how he develops next year. Even if he doesn't work out, the team still needs to explore this market. It's how the team found so much value in the Disney/Stoneman era. 

Baldoquin ended up with more errors than walks.  His season was forgettable but he gets a pass considering his circumstances.  If he fails again this year, then I'll accept the bust tag.

In terms of us being in foreign markets, I have no idea why we aren't a player in Asia.  

The Latin market ship has sailed.  Any sort of advantage we could have had by outspending the competition is no longer an option.  This was well explained in that Arte didn't have the stomach for how things were run in that market.  It's hard to blame him for that.  

With an impending international draft, it's unlikely we are going to suddenly pump a bunch of resources into an expiring system.  

Do I think we should be in on players from Asia that get posted? Sure

First and foremost, however, we need to draft better.  Our failures are not limited to just the international markets.

Our 2011 draft gave us Cron and Bandy.   There's a couple of random arms that could show up in the pen

2012 we didn't have a 1st or 2nd rd pick.  Morin was a 13th rounder.  Again, there is probably a couple of pen arms in there.  maybe.  Yarbrough is gonna have to rebound to have any shot.  

2013 Hunter Green has pitched about as much as Ryan Madson did for us.  There are a few guys from the first ten rounds that might see the back of a rotation some day.   McGee has a shot at being a backup catcher.  Again, maybe a pen arm or two.  A 4th OFer maybe.  A utility IF maybe.

2014 is TBD.  Newcomb and Ellis look promising,  Gatto didn't raise his stock at all.  There's a few guys that seem capable of being fringe major leaguers but they all have very low ceilings.  

2015 is TBD.

Our strategy was to go heavy on college pitchers for the last few years sans 2015.  And when we drafted position players, they were supposed high floor college guys.  2015 was a very important year for this farm system in that players drafted under the current strategy were reaching the upper minors.  Frankly, they've failed pretty hard.  All of the supposed high floor guys ended up have a pretty low floor.  On top of that, there are almost zero players with the upside of being an everyday position player or #2/#3 starter.  Missing some draft picks has hurt in this regard.  

I'm ready for a new philosophy.  If they aren't going to put any resources into the international market, then they need to do so stateside.  

Yes, because Arte is a brown person. 

he's not saying he has firsthand knowledge because he's mexican. he's saying arte's watched international players contribute considerably on the field for the team he owns, whether or not he's the one that initially invested in them. you should work on your reading comprehension before you start lobbing racial accusations.