• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is there any hope for Simmons' bat?

I really hate the statement that the pitching staff has improved. Nothing has changed in the pitching staff. They are the same guys who will give up contact all the same but the difference will be fewer balls on the left side of the infield will find a hole. That isn't improving the pitchers, it is covering their asses.

So the pitchers will have at least one better defender behind them. Put a better glove than Freese on third and you have little a right handed pull hitter can do to squeeze a ball through. This would be a huge improvement over last season that relieves not just the pitchers from trying to be too perfect but the offense that doesn't have to make up for runs given away in extended innings where the infield can't make a play.

It would also lessen any need to replace Giavotella and allow him to work on his defensive skills. Kendrick was no whiz kid with the glove his first full year and didn't really have that great of range so I'm willing to let Johnny have the on the job training and take advantage of his bat in the lower half of the order. Strangely enough he hits really well out of the #9 hole so drop him there and let him be the guy that clears the bases or sets the table for the top of the order.

Which means left field needs to produce a leadoff hitter. That also means the Cespedes fantasy just went away, he is not a leadoff kind of guy. That really narrows the free agency pool to only a couple of candidates.

I think I would have preferred the Angels trade Newcomb and Aybar for Javier Baez instead of Andrelton Simmons. Baez would've fit this team's needs a lot better than Simmonsvand is cheaper.

The Cubs were not going to let go of 22 year old Javier Baez and take Aybar in the return package.

I'm not saying he was bad defensively just not what he was his first eight years. He has become about an average SS, nothing wrong with that.

Aybar had a very odd year defensively, metrics wise.  he posted a career high in plays outside of his zone, but his UZR and other metrics were down.  It's very possible that Aybar was compensating for a well below average defensive player to his left and it impacted him personally even as he likely helped mask the defensive weakness at 2B.   The eye test showed some slippage, he's always had the propensity to flub a play from time to time -- so IMO it's hard to say that he was really any worse at converting the routine play into outs but at his age some erosion was expected.

I think Aybar just had an off season, but who knows -- maybe this ends up being one of those cases where a team moved a player a year too early than a year too late.   All I know is I will miss the guy.

It isn't hard to imagine pitcher's performance improving across the board.

1. Chances are Bandy is stepping in as Perez's platoon mate.  Bandy is worlds better defensively than Iannetta was.  That's a significant improvement. 

2. Both Kubitza and Cowart are significantly better defenders than Freese, with Cowart being potentially elite there. 

3. Simmons. 

4. Chances are, we'll land Heyward, Upton, Cespedes or Gordon, in which case the Angels will be much better in LF than they were last year. 

5. The Angels have every reason to find a better 2B than Jonny Giavotella, and they won't have to look far.  Zobrist, Murphy, Kendrick can be signed, or they can swing a trade for a Prado-type.  Who knows, maybe Alex Yarbrough figures out whatever it was that plagued him in 2015. 

Pitching in a pitcher friendly park with a defense like that has to make some of these pitchers feel a little better about 2016.  Except Weaver.

So the Angels bought high and sold low. Yikes.

Aybar's D is very good. Why not just extend him and trade Newcomb and Ellis for a 3B/2B or LF?

Not true, at least if we're basing it on last year. -3 defensive runs saved and -7.1 UZR. At his age, it's reasonable to assume that's probably who he is going forward. That's not a knock on him; he's just getting older.