• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ryan Braun

A questionable person about to turn age 32 and still owed over $100 million, and if that doesn't cry out Hamilton Part Deux, nothing does.

AO, not everyone is Hamilton and not everyone is Albert. Can you please stop posting this in EVERY single thread. I also don't recall him being as streaky as Josh. I am not an advocate of bringing on Braun but the guy hustles and plays hard. I could be wrong but I don't recall any issues with him in the clubhouse. He's just a bad person.

Every thread Strad?  Really? Really? Really?  Really??

Let's not go overboard here.

And if the Halos do get through the winter months this time without taking on that kind of contact with an aging and declining player, then I will be convinced that Arte finally 100% learned his lesson from the Pujols and Hamilton signings.  

And then I will stop referring to it.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Every thread Strad? Really? Really? Really? Really??

Let's not go overboard here.

And if the Halos do get through the winter months this time without taking on that kind of contact with an aging and declining player, then I will be convinced that Arte finally 100% learned his lesson from the Pujols and Hamilton signings.

And then I will stop referring to it.

Well he went through the last two off seasons without doing it. So if he doesn't sign someone you think is past his prime then next off season you'll start this up again.

Holy judgements, Batman. Sure, Braun lied but does that make him a horrible person?

I'd rather focus on actual onfield performance, and from that perspective Braun hasn't been a star since 2012 and while still a good hitter isn't worth that contract by a long shot.

Yes it does.

You seem to forget that he won the MVP over Kemp when Kemp was more deserving. A real man would have owned up to his mistakes and given the award to Kemp because he was cheating the whole season and Kemp was clean. Braun adamantly denied his ped use to the public, friends and family. He also got people fired. Instead of admitting his mistake like Pettitte and others have, he denied over and over again. He is a horrible person and deserved to be banned for life. He got a slap on the wrist. I freaking hate him.

This game is a business.  So if he can help, you have to overlook the past.

That being said, any trade, I would have a stipulation with the Brewers, not with Braun since that would be against the CBA, that if he failed another test, which would put him at a year I think suspension, that the Brewers would have to pay that amount to the league.  (CBA on suspended players for drugs I believe says that you still have to pay the salary, but it doesn't go to the player, but to MLB players fund or something like that)  

As for his performance.  I think his .900+ ops days are behind him.  He's more of a .800+ hitter and probably will be a .700+ hitter when his contract is over.  His contract is 5/$91 with a mutual option of $15 with a buyout of $4 million.  So negotiation wise, it would be a 5/$95 or about $19 million a year.  Another concern is that he is a NL player switching to the AL.  

I think if you can get it to 5/$50-60, without including our top prospects, then the risk/reward might be worth it.

Holy judgements, Batman. Sure, Braun lied but does that make him a horrible person?

I'd rather focus on actual onfield performance, and from that perspective Braun hasn't been a star since 2012 and while still a good hitter isn't worth that contract by a long shot.

No judgements... Just onfield performance.... I'm sure Jose Reyes is hoping for that approach too.

I didn't realize how sensitive some people on this board were lol.

The guy produces, period. I could careless that he is a jerk if he can play, the scandal is past him. As for age, I totally agree that our priority should be to bring young players. However, its not as if we are bringing him via a crazy contract. sorry for getting the numbers wrong but nevertheless, if you can work out a deal that brings him over for 16 mil per > then do it. That said NO, I am not for trading Newcomb or Richards. I was asking if there is a way we could acquire him without them.

He's 31, that's right there with Gordon and just older than Cespedes and were talking about giving these guys deals. Cespedes, aside from his breakout year in 2015 has a .783 OPS in his career. Braun just last year had an OPS of .854. I don't think he'll age as fast as other players. What I found interesting is that his stolen bases doubled last year from 11 to 24. That's not an old beat up guy lol.

24 sb, 25hr, .285/.356/.498. I'd gladly take it for 16 million a year and anybody not named Newcomb or Richards.

Let's say that for the majority of his contract hell drop down to an average of

18-20hr (more doubles), .265/.340/.460.

That .340 obp .460 slg , with good base running would be so nice on the 2 spot in front of Trout.

Please, it isn't just his PED use (which is worse than coke because it gives him an unfair advantage). It is that he cost another guy his job when he lied and challenged the test.

He is the ultimate douchebag.

Thats cute how compassionate you are but I could really give a shit about Brauns morals. Lets get some guys who will come to work and hit. Some of us are too tired of losing to care about the nice guy quota.

Thats cute how compassionate you are but I could really give a shit about Brauns morals. Lets get some guys who will come to work and hit. Some of us are too tired of losing to care about the nice guy quota.

There are some people who are win at all costs then there are other people who know there are other options that are equally productive. Like I said if he's a changed man I would consider him.

There are some people who are win at all costs then there are other people who know there are other options that are equally productive. Like I said if he's a changed man I would consider him.

He was an all star last season. He hasnt had any reported incidents other than his Ped scandal. Hes never been a distraction in the club house and he goes to work and does his job. Thats more than you could say about most of these current Angels. Braun isnt some clubhouse douche like people think, hes not going to come here and be a distraction. And with as much talent as he have, he might really thrive in a new environment playing with Trout. Theres no denying Braun is a superstar talent.

Now if theres better options available, thats a different story. But if we have a chance to get Braun, we shouldnt pass it up just because some Angel fans want boy scouts only.

He was an all star last season. He hasnt had any reported incidents other than his Ped scandal. Hes never been a distraction in the club house and he goes to work and does his job. Thats more than you could say about most of these current Angels. Braun isnt some clubhouse douche like people think, hes not going to come here and be a distraction. And with as much talent as he have, he might really thrive in a new environment playing with Trout. Theres no denying Braun is a superstar talent.

Now if theres better options available, thats a different story. But if we have a chance to get Braun, we shouldnt pass it up just because some Angel fans want boy scouts only.

Well if you can find even the next tier down in free agency that would be better because it only costs money and not players and money. I am all for forgiving someone but like I said there are probably better or equal options.

Nailed it right on the head.

Yes it does.

You seem to forget that he won the MVP over Kemp when Kemp was more deserving. A real man would have owned up to his mistakes and given the award to Kemp because he was cheating the whole season and Kemp was clean. Braun adamantly denied his ped use to the public, friends and family. He also got people fired. Instead of admitting his mistake like Pettitte and others have, he denied over and over again. He is a horrible person and deserved to be banned for life. He got a slap on the wrist. I freaking hate him.

A HORRIBLE person? You HATE him?

Why take it so personally? He lied. People lie (I'm guessing you've lied once or twice). It isn't good to lie, but it doesn't automatically make someone "horrible" or worthy of "hate."

Too many red flags on this one. No doubt Braun could be an impact player stats wise, but age, money, and durability issues(had back surgery this offseason and has missed a handful of games the past couple of years) would lead the FO to say no. I would see the Matt Kemp deal from last season as the blue print on what could get it done, but I don't see Arte even thinking about doing it.

Yes it does.

"A real man would..." what world do you live in?

Braun isnt on coke or whatever drugs Hamilton was doing.  He isnt a bad teammate or anything like that and as far as I know he doesnt loaf around on the field the way Hamilton does.  Between the two of them Hamilton was far worse so this mentality of every Angel needing to be a nice guy needs to stop.

i don't need every angel to be a nice guy. so, i'd appreciate it if you didn't characterize my thoughts as if i was a child. braun is a cheater and a liar. he stood in front of everyone, icluding his teammates, and lied. he cost a man his job who did nothing wrong. hamilton and braun are both selfish cheaters who have lied to their teammates.

take all of that and add into the fact that braun is owed over 111 million dollars over the next 6 years AND that those are his age 32-37 seasons. pass for reasons that you haven't considered because you think we're all in kindergarden.

"A real man would..." what world do you live in?

i'm more than comfortable to acknowledge that i live in the same world, apparently. because yes "a real man" would take it on the chin when he got caught on the wrong side of something. braun's a bitch.