• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you say yes to this deal?

loriasucks1

I think he'd be a wonderful acquisition. Possibly the best defensive player in all of baseball. Offensively he's not much different from Aybar and he has his career ahead of him still.

It'd shore up a high-demand position for Eppler's contract.

I think Baldo may be trade bait. Maybe not this offseason but soon.

Well, don't kill the messenger, but I'm bored and I have a source who says the two teams were in talks today about a potential deal. And then the rumors of a Simmons deal showed up tonight on MLB Trade Rumors even though it says NL West team.

It's also possible Newcomb isn't involved. It was Simmons for Aybar & 2 prospects, one of them being the Angels #2 prospect. I just assumed it was Newcomb, but I just checked on mlb.com, and he's actually your #1 prospect. #2 is Christopher Ellis. 

Well, looks like your source was right.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 1h1 hour ago

Sources say the Angels are among the teams in conversation with the Braves about Andrelton Simmons. Erick Aybar under contract for 1 more yr

I'd be all for acquiring Simmons. Aybar is a FA after this upcoming season and Baldoquin looks like he still needs some time. Definitely would not trade Newcomb at all unless they were getting an impact bat and I don't expect the Angels to even consider trading him in a Simmons deal

Edited by bloodbrother

I think Aybar is fine defensively, but Simmons is the very best and like others have said he's coming into his prime not at the end of his prime. If you can get him without giving up Newcomb I think you have to do it. We would have the best defensive short stop for five years at about the same cost annually as Aybar.

Getting a little broader beyond the topic being discussed, what if the Braves had interest in Aybar solely for the purpose of letting him walk and offering a QO next offseason?

What if a team put emphasis on acquiring multiple players in their walk years solely for the purpose of offering several QO's, setting themselves up for an insane amount of draft picks?

Would be an interesting route to rebuilding a farm club in a single offseason. There would be some risk in players accepting QO's, but that still has never happened yet, and it'd only entail taking on one seasons worth of contracts.

I'm not suggesting this would be equal value, but Wilson and Aybar are both players who may have a QO attached next offseason. It's a subtle way of buying draft picks, and the Braves have made a few unconventional deals in that manner. It ties in with their goal of rebuilding yet fielding a not-embarrassing ballclub.

Edited by totdprods

I'd have more interest in CarGo I think.

I dunno, neither really appeal to me. There's so many FA OFers you could simply sign without giving up players that would provide comparable production and pay roughly the same.

Think there's also younger, cheaper, more controllable OFers that could be acquired in trade.

This thread is a joke right?  This has to be one of the worst trade proposals ever on this board.

Again, not sure if Newcomb is actually one of the prospects involved, but the Angels interest is definitely not a joke, no. I was just bored last night, and figured I'd pass along some inside info. :)

My favorite team sucks so hearing about a rumor before it even becomes a rumor on the internet is basically the highlight of my baseball season. 

I would assume a deal for Simmons would include one of the Braves bigger contracts that they want to get rid of.  This scenario helps us somewhat since we don't have the prospect depth that other teams could offer.  The Angels interest certainly makes sense considering we have no one at SS after Aybar this year and Baldoquin may need to play 2nd in the majors, assuming he gets there.  Getting Simmons guarantees a long term shortstop on a reasonable deal with guaranteed defense and whatever offense he can provide.  Simmons hit .265 AVG with a .321 OBP, and 29 extra base hits.  Aybar hit .270 AVG with a .301 OBP, and 34 extra base hits.  So based on last year's numbers, the offensive difference is marginal at best, with Simmons having the better OBP.  Aybar defense is still great, but I think the thing to weigh here is our lack of options after next season and getting a SS in Free Agency is now an expensive endeavor. 

I would assume a deal for Simmons would include one of the Braves bigger contracts that they want to get rid of. This scenario helps us somewhat since we don't have the prospect depth that other teams could offer. The Angels interest certainly makes sense considering we have no one at SS after Aybar this year and Baldoquin may need to play 2nd in the majors, assuming he gets there. Getting Simmons guarantees a long term shortstop on a reasonable deal with guaranteed defense and whatever offense he can provide. Simmons hit .265 AVG with a .321 OBP, and 29 extra base hits. Aybar hit .270 AVG with a .301 OBP, and 34 extra base hits. So based on last year's numbers, the offensive difference is marginal at best, with Simmons having the better OBP. Aybar defense is still great, but I think the thing to weigh here is our lack of options after next season and getting a SS in Free Agency is now an expensive endeavor.

I agree with all this except Aybar's defense isn't great. I am not even sure it is average any longer. The difference between Aybar and Simmons and huge, and Simmons is a long term solution.

I would definitely consider this move if it was Aybar / Ellis for Simmons.

I'm really big on the Angels improving the defense this year as a way to counter a deep but mediocre pitching staff. An ace would be nice, but that doesn't solve every other game we play. The Angels don't need a shortstop right now, but they need to find one within the next year or so, and I'm not sure if there are any quality options available - clearly none from our minor leagues.

Simmons is an upgrade over Aybar, he is also cheaper, under control for 2 additional years, and entering his age 26 season. People keep referring to him as a no-bat short stop, but if you throw out 2014 he's essentially been the same hitter as Aybar since 2012.

Best package I can think of the Halos offering for Simmons, without touching Richards/Heaney/Ellis/Newcomb would be Aybar (and all of his 2016 salary), Skaggs, Ward, and Featherston.   

Too bad we traded Stamets for Murphy, he would have been a solid add to that package in place of Featherston.

As solid as Skaggs' potential is, he is coming off TJ surgery (although still only 24) and how many teams win in the long run with three lefties in the rotation?     

Edited by Angel Oracle

.. and how many teams win in the long run with three lefties in the rotation?     

I don't know but it would be interesting to see the data.  Texas will keep doing it.  Makes sense on one level in that it neutralizes left-handed hitters in their ballpark.  But when you end up having to face a righty-dominant lineup (like the Angels and Blue Jays) it can be pretty hazardous. 

Best package I can think of the Halos offering for Simmons, without touching Richards/Heaney/Ellis/Newcomb would be Aybar (and all of his 2016 salary), Skaggs, Ward, and Featherston.   

Too bad we traded Stamets for Murphy, he would have been a solid add to that package in place of Featherston.

As solid as Skaggs' potential is, he is coming off TJ surgery (although still only 24) and how many teams win in the long run with three lefties in the rotation?   

Throw in Hector too possibly sweeten the pot.