• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gordon or Zobrist?

It makes so much sense to sign one of the two. They just both make so much sense given our positions of need, high on-base offense, and defense. I think they are the type of signings we have to target - more Torii Hunter type signing than a Hamilton/Pujols type. 

Thing is, who is the better target?

Gordon:
31 yrs
Career: .269/.348/.435 ... 112 OPS+ ...  29.7 WAR

2015:    .271/.377/.432 ... 120 OPS+ ...  2.8 WAR
Younger
Elite Defense
Draft pick attached

Zobrist:

34 yrs
Career: .265/.355/.431 ... 117 OPS+ ...   36.8 WAR (1 more season)

2015:    .276/.359/.450 ... 120 OPS+ ...  2.1 WAR

Elite Versatility (Utility) player

Both will cost about 65-75 mil/4
Very similar players with identical offense and good defensive resumes. Royals will probably resign Gordon but assuming he doesn't, who would you rather? Is the draft pick the deciding factor??

Edited by marcosantinia12

I love Gordon's game, if you can pry him away from KC, you do it. Truth is, there are a ton of free agents that make some sort of degree of sense because the Angels have so many holes on the team. 

Yeah, that's very true. I just think they both make the most sense because they both play Left field, which is the biggest hole, with Zobrist being able to fill even our other positions of need if needed. I think they bring the offense that we need and given the price/length of the other FA's estimated contracts, I like these two the most. Maybe throw in Fowler as well...

Gordon would be a great add, but if its actually doable, get zobrist. Gordon means we still go with gio/cowart (kubitza) at 2 and 3B. Not sure his bat is enough to cover that. Zobrist can play either position, or both, and we hope to get lucky with one of the kids turning out ok. Then you sign another LF

You don't just grab key FA pieces of a WS winning team because you want them, especially if you have a sucky playoff record like the Angels have the past 6 years.

These guys play for money, sure..but they like winning too.

The Angels were a 98 win team just one year from now. They had holes and missed the playoffs by one game. I agree with what you're saying, but they aren't exactly going to the Phillies either. 

The Angels were a 98 win team just one year from now. They had holes and missed the playoffs by one game. I agree with what you're saying, but they aren't exactly going to the Phillies either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They not only had "holes" they had debilitating in-house issues that indicate an organization with dysfunction at multiple levels, especially the top levels.
Not exactly a warm and inviting situation for an outsider considering a move.
I'd say the Angels aren't going to be a top choice for top FA players who can pick and choose where they would like to play.

Edited by Homebrewer

Do the Royals have money like a big market team now?  I get that KC is a dump, but they just got a ton of revenue. 

Royals have a crap TV deal that runs through 2019.  They only get $20 million a year, and yet I believe last year, their local ratings were through the roof.  

My guess is they capitalize on this year, and try to renegotiate that contract.  But even if they do, they might not have deep pockets as the other teams.  Again, this goes back to why I think the CBT won't be raised much.  

The Royals won't sign Zobrist or Gordon. They get Omar Infante back ( a downgrade from Zobrist) snd have Orlando to plug into Left field. They also lose Cueto and Young. They have multiple options in their system . The Royals are going to have as many as 4 first tound picks. They are going to be a factor for several more years.

Gordon scares me in that he is a superb defender but if those skills erode over the next five yesrs then he eill be wsy over paid. I would take Zobrist on a three year deal with a club option for a fourth. Both will cost a first round pick.

Zobrist since he won't cost a draft pick. I really do like Giavotella, though, but his defense is a liability. Personally, I think if Giavotella improves his defensive skills we wouldn't need Zobrist. I wish Kendrick could come back, but he's not worth losing a draft pick over. 

Edited by failos

The Royals won't sign Zobrist or Gordon. They get Omar Infante back ( a downgrade from Zobrist) snd have Orlando to plug into Left field. They also lose Cueto and Young. They have multiple options in their system . The Royals are going to have as many as 4 first tound picks. They are going to be a factor for several more years.

Gordon scares me in that he is a superb defender but if those skills erode over the next five yesrs then he eill be wsy over paid. I would take Zobrist on a three year deal with a club option for a fourth. Both will cost a first round pick.

Zobrist costs a draft pick too? I thought he didn't since he was trade mid-season no?

You don't just grab key FA pieces of a WS winning team because you want them, especially if you have a sucky playoff record like the Angels have the past 6 years.

These guys play for money, sure..but they like winning too.

agreed. it's going to be tough to pry either of these two away from the royals. if you're gordon, you realize at age 34 that you're in the perfect position to finish the last few years of your career with a team that can win another world series. zobrist might be easier to lure since his royals roots aren't as deep.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

They not only had "holes" they had debilitating in-house issues that indicate an organization with dysfunction at multiple levels, especially the top levels.

I'd say the Angels aren't going to be a top choice for top FA players who can pick and choose where they would like to play.

The dysfunction is gone.  Plenty of players would like to play for Scioscia.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd say the Angels aren't going to be a top choice for top FA players who can pick and choose where they would like to play.

I'm looking forward to Lou agreeing with this post after we sign one of the big name free agents. Lou let me know when you bookmark this page.

If you can only sign one big money free agent and those are the two you can choose from I would take Gordon. I know he had an injury this year, but don't know whether or not he has an injury history. Imagine the coin this guy would make with his numbers if he would have been able to stick at 3rd base. I don't remember defense being his issue.