• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who's Ready To Watch Lackey Get Lit Up???

Homebrewer

Lackey left us -- got a better deal.

I like most former Halos but did not like comments made by Lackey upon leaving the Halos.

He pitched well for us and was a gamer.

He pitched very well in Game One for the Cards and seems to have a history of coming through in post-season starts.

I've come around to kind of liking Lackey again -- probably (not, definitely) because he' s pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals and to the best catcher in MLB.

The fact that YADIER is able to play in the post-season (but with a splint on his thumb) makes the Cards a different team -- the Cards are just better when YADIER is behind the plate and the pitching staff is much better........Lackey's win on Friday got a huge assist from YADIER calling the game.

I remember a reporter asking Benji when he was on the Angels who he thought was a better ball player, him or Jose. His response was "Wait until you see our younger brother Yadier. He's better than both of us."

Lester is such a mediocre ace. He has looked like straight up garbage the last two postseasons. Way to drop the ball, man.

Lester posted more innings than lackey and only gave up 2 runs. That was better than a quality start but his teammates managed zero run support. Edited by notti

I,would love to see the thread from a few years ago when he was still on the Red Sox, injured, leaving his sick wife, eating chicken and drinking beer in the clubhouse. I wonder if everyone who is missing him now, had similar feelings back then.

The Red Sox couldn't give him away then.

Edited by NJHalo

The wife thing was created by someone specific, and the media ran with it. There was a ton more to that story. I wont go into it online, but as is always the case, there were two sides to the story.

Same goes for the chicken and beer thing. That was the Boston media, because the sox were losing.

Im not saying hes a great guy, or that hes been a scapegoat. If people dont like him because he left, said things or whatever, as fans were all free to choose ho we like and dont. But that rep he got was unwarranted for the most part.

The wife thing was created by someone specific, and the media ran with it. There was a ton more to that story. I wont go into it online, but as is always the case, there were two sides to the story.

Same goes for the chicken and beer thing. That was the Boston media, because the sox were losing.

Im not saying hes a great guy, or that hes been a scapegoat. If people dont like him because he left, said things or whatever, as fans were all free to choose ho we like and dont. But that rep he got was unwarranted for the most part.

To me its all about, is he a winner or not a winner. Lackey is not far from getting his 3rd WS ring.

The Angels didn't get anywhere signing 'nice guys' like Hunter, CJ, etc they need guys with attitude & swagger.

They need a guy that was like what Erstad used to be, they need a guy who can get fired up, a guy who doesn't choke under pressure.

Lackey may be on his way to another World Series Ring. He might even pitch the winning game, AGAIN.

He could probably teach some of our starters a thing or two.

Should not have let him go, however I think the change of teams and environments with new pitching coaches really helped him. As we know Butcher is basically useless when it comes to fixing pitchers and I don't think he would have done anything to help Lackey. Once Lackey got some real pitching coaches to fix him, he started to improve. I really think him being with the Cardinals, an organization that really knows there stuff has helped him out.

One things for sure I'd much rather be on the Cardinals than the Angels the past couple seasons.

Lackey may be on his way to another World Series Ring. He might even pitch the winning game, AGAIN.

He could probably teach some of our starters a thing or two.

Should not have let him go, however I think the change of teams and environments with new pitching coaches really helped him. As we know Butcher is basically useless when it comes to fixing pitchers and I don't think he would have done anything to help Lackey. Once Lackey got some real pitching coaches to fix him, he started to improve. I really think him being with the Cardinals, an organization that really knows there stuff has helped him out.

One things for sure I'd much rather be on the Cardinals than the Angels the past couple seasons.

It has nothing to do with Butcher it had to do with having an injury his last season here. He pitched fine here, it's just the Angels, because of the injury (that he inevitably had surgery for) didn't want to go more than four years. He had only started about 50 games total his last two years. The Red Sox went five years with the creative sixth year at league minimum if he had a major injury. Everyone here would have bitched about getting him for four years and $72 million, because he was either hurt or not pitching well in any of those years. This is his first good year since he left the team. Before this year he hadn't had a 2 WAR season since leaving, this year it was 5.6. Getting upset at losing a guy like Lackey and the way he performed lately is the equivalent of being upset at letting Colon or Kazmir get away. They were all injured and got healthy years later. In Lackeys case it was six years later.

What the hell - what's the other side?

On the wife... and the chicken and beer thing.

It has nothing to do with Butcher it had to do with having an injury his last season here. He pitched fine here, it's just the Angels, because of the injury (that he inevitably had surgery for) didn't want to go more than four years. He had only started about 50 games total his last two years. The Red Sox went five years with the creative sixth year at league minimum if he had a major injury. Everyone here would have bitched about getting him for four years and $72 million, because he was either hurt or not pitching well in any of those years. This is his first good year since he left the team. Before this year he hadn't had a 2 WAR season since leaving, this year it was 5.6. Getting upset at losing a guy like Lackey and the way he performed lately is the equivalent of being upset at letting Colon or Kazmir get away. They were all injured and got healthy years later. In Lackeys case it was six years later.

Actually he had a 2.8WAR season in 2013. He also had a solid average season in 2014.

There's also the chance had he stayed with the Angels he wouldn't have had that injury he had in Boston in 2011.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

Actually he had a 2.8WAR season in 2013. He also had a solid average season in 2014.

There's also the chance had he stayed with the Angels he wouldn't have had that injury he had in Boston in 2011.

He was already injured when he was on the Angels, that is why they were afraid to give him the fifth year, it is also the reason Boston included the 6th year at league minimum clause in his contract. I liked Lackey when he was here, and I would take him back, but the idea that he would have been better to keep than say Weaver just because of the year Lackey is having now, is just dumb.

What the hell - what's the other side?

On the wife... and the chicken and beer thing.

again, its not my place to lay someone else's personal business out on here. But ill throw a few things out to give some things to think about.

That marriage wasnt working, and it was mutual to end it...thats the main part. She was diagnosed aftee they had already come to that conclusion. He covered the medical costs. And she walked away from that marriage with far more money than any of us will ever see in our lifetime. She made in less than a presidential term what would take an emegency room doctor roughly 30 years to make...

So bottom line, it was a marriage that wasnt meant to be. Neither were interested in staying in it...but the media story was that he dropped her while she was sick, and thats not accurate.

As far as the chicken and beer thing, i dont know a whole lot about it, but from my understanding, just about every mlb clubhouse is properly stocked with canned beer.lackey and beckett were called out by the boston media because the team sucked, they were getting paid huge money, etc. Once boston won again, i doubt those guys changed their diets, its just that nobody cared.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout