• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Eppler front runner for GM job - Hal Morris a darkhorse candidate

bloodbrother

Way too early for that. The way I'm looking at it, year one serves one basic purpose, acclimate oneself to the rigors of playing ball at this level and living in the U.S. The language, rules, laws, customs and the millions of other things that come with being an adult can weight on a 21 year old kid. I mean look at Yoan Moncada. All the talent in the world, even he had a pretty considerable adjustment period this year. Yasiel Puig and Jorge Soler both went through it as well.

Next year is going to tell us MUCH more about Roberto Baldoquin than this year did. Will he be moved up to AA? Will he refine his considerable defensive talent? How will his approach at the plate look? Will he tap into some of the power he has?

I think Baldoquin will be fine.

I did think about the adjustment period.

Just concerned over how low the OPS was in a hitters' league (sub .600 in the Cal League).

I'm for going the "Gut the whole thing and start fresh" route.

Including, but not exclusive to, the manager, coaching staff, scouting and developmental corps.

This org needs a complete revamping.

Some tweaks here and there aren't going to fix it.

So Eppler sounds good to me.

I did think about the adjustment period.

Just concerned over how low the OPS was in a hitters' league (sub .600 in the Cal League).

Its the park...   Pitchers parks in hitters leagues is probably the way to go for a team where the MLB stadium is a pitcher's park in an offensive league....  But having the final stop be SLC blows.....  

Why is it Eppler has been interviewed so many times for a GM spot but never chosen?

Is he ugly or something?

He's only interviewed with the Angels and Padres.  He also declined to be interviewed by the Diamondbacks when they replaced Kevin Towers, even though they wanted to interview him.  I wouldn't say he's in high demand.  The other side of things is that there are only 30 GM jobs, so it's not like they pop up all the time.

Edited by tomsred

Ric Wilson sure has underwhelmed. CJ Cron is the most notable player and he's basically a poor mans mark trumbo imo.

Sean Newcomb obviously stands out..

And there's a couple potential future 4th starters... that about sums it up.

I know they haven't had too many first round picks, but I still expect to see some results.

this angelswin interview didn't impress me at all....

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2015/05/los-angeles-angels-live-chat-transcript.html

Reminds me more of a Scioscia type than Dipoto.

"Early on you have to take what the draft gives you and as you start working your way down we could drift off into some need."

I have never heard anyone overseeing a draft say that you don't draft for need. To me this explains a lot.

Ric is fine. I mean he isn't the best, but he's made his share of savvy picks across the past few years. As we all know, he tends to chase lower ceiling collegiate players. This philosophy brought in guys like Newcomb, Ward and Ellis. Then there are the more unheralded players that nonetheless end up being steals like Ellis or Hinshaw, Smith and Sherman Johnson. He rarely dips into the prep ranks, but when he does, it's typically a high-ceiling pickup like Jahmai Jones, Joe Gatto and Alex Abbott.

It could be worse. There used to be a guy here, he picked Kaleb Cowart, Cam Bedrosian, Chevy Clatke, Ryan Bolden and Taylor Lindsey over Christian Yelich, Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard, Taijuan Walker, Nick Castellanos, Sammy Solis, Jedd Gyorko and Drew Smyly.

The worst part, Yelich, Sanchez and Walker were all in their own back yard and made it abundantly known to all organizations that they intended to sign rather than go to college. Most teams avoided Georgia that year (better talent in nearby Florida, and most certainly in Texas and California), and most specifically Cowart because he was going to cost too much to sign away from Florida State and even then, he looked MUCH better on the mound than he did in the field or at the plate.

"Early on you have to take what the draft gives you and as you start working your way down we could drift off into some need."

I have never heard anyone overseeing a draft say that you don't draft for need. To me this explains a lot.

How often have you heard anyone in baseball talk about their draft strategy in order to even have an opinion?   Seriously, what he said is pretty common, the MLB draft is it's own animal, very different from the NFL and NBA, maybe a little closer to the NHL draft but still -- most players aren't ready to contribute right away.   A team drafting for need would have to think three years down the road and try to take educated guesses at what their needs may be.

Most teams avoided Georgia that year (better talent in nearby Florida, and most certainly in Texas and California), and most specifically Cowart because he was going to cost too much to sign away from Florida State and even then, he looked MUCH better on the mound than he did in the field or at the plate.

FWIW.... Cowart was the fourth player from GA taken in the first round.  Suprisingly, of the 6 players taken from GA in the first round, 3 have played MLB; Deshields, Cowart, Bedrosian.   A total of 83 players were drafted out of GA in 2010...  the 4th best total.  Among the BBA Top 100, GA ranked fourth in total draft prospects..   Among active players, GA again ranks fourth....   If people truly avoided GA in 2010, it didn't show in the numbers.   

That 2010 first round was ugly, but it was ugly in general.  The 2010 draft has seen fewer 1st rounders play MLB than even the 2011 draft, and that includes people like Cowart, Gary Brown, Kyle Parker, and Bryce Brentz.  That's not to excuse the Angels for having blown it, but as time passes by that draft is looking weaker and weaker.

Seriously? I hear people say they draft " the best player available " all the time.

FWIW.... Cowart was the fourth player from GA taken in the first round.  Suprisingly, of the 6 players taken from GA in the first round, 3 have played MLB; Deshields, Cowart, Bedrosian.   A total of 83 players were drafted out of GA in 2010...  the 4th best total.  Among the BBA Top 100, GA ranked fourth in total draft prospects..   Among active players, GA again ranks fourth....   If people truly avoided GA in 2010, it didn't show in the numbers.   

That 2010 first round was ugly, but it was ugly in general.  The 2010 draft has seen fewer 1st rounders play MLB than even the 2011 draft, and that includes people like Cowart, Gary Brown, Kyle Parker, and Bryce Brentz.  That's not to excuse the Angels for having blown it, but as time passes by that draft is looking weaker and weaker.

Scotty has this bizarre bias against GA, and continues to throw out the ridiculous theory that it's not a great state for baseball.  He says it all the time.  I've learned to just ignore it.

The only way I've ever heard a draft described is you take the best player available.

The BPA philosophy is tied to how you rank your players.  No one knows who the best player available is.  They pick their best available on their draft board that coincides with their needs and philosophy.   So you are always doing both.  Picking for both need and BPA because you have predetermined your own order.  

You might skip a guy from your board here and there if, for instance, you went position player heavy and thought you should add a pitcher.  

The halos went college position player heavy this year so their draft board was filled with those guys and they were ranked ahead of all the prep guys.  Making them their BPA.

Because the Yankees have such a great farm or experience building one, right?

Am i the only one that thinks this is a ludicrous idea?>>>

Before Sept. 1 roster expansion, the two teams that had used the most players they originally signed to the organization via the draft, undrafted free agents or internationals signings were the Mets with 26 and the Yankees with 23.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/01/mets-yankees-take-different-routes-to-top-of-telling-category/

The only way I've ever heard a draft described is you take the best player available.

The Angels did not take that approach this year, rather than drafting one of dozens of pitcher, position players etc. they acquired a clone of Jeff Mathis who most experts did not expect to sign until late second round as they specifically wanted a catcher, rather than an outfielder or pitcher or whoever was the best player availably, most likely as they do not anticipate re-signing Iannetta.