• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Victor and Gubi

Beyond the Pujols career stat lovefest, Goober reads screen prompts verbatim (no value added), describes replays verbatim (ball hit to LF, caught, throws to 2nd base, out, silence), and knows virtually nothing about hitting beyond drive the ball with compact swing.  With extra innings, the respite from Goober is welcome as even most of the homer guys add value (one exception: Hawk "he gone").  Rojas is solid and I do miss him.

I watch a lot less of the endless string of 162 games because of Gubicza.  I don't think he's a bad guy.  I just don't think he's a good color baseball announcer.  There has to be more than "compact swing" and "keeping your hands through the zone".

Gubiza feels he has to say something after every play, sometimes after every pitch. So it is ear ****ing all game long, just stfu until you have something of value to say.

On the other hand Langston can sit there and not say a word when there is nothing deserving color commentary. This is great except Smith forgets he is the play by play guy and you end up with gaps of dead air, except for the sound of the game in the background going on and you can clearly hear the ball hit the glove.

Smith violates every tenant of radio and that is the fans listening can't see the game, you have to present everything. Instead he doesn't offer the score, the pitch count, if a runner is taking a lead or when the infielders are playing a shift. He must have some fans but they have to be completely uninterested in the game and call in after to ask why Darrin Erstad wasn't in center field.

Gubiza feels he has to say something after every play, sometimes after every pitch. So it is ear ****ing all game long, just stfu until you have something of value to say.

On the other hand Langston can sit there and not say a word when there is nothing deserving color commentary. This is great except Smith forgets he is the play by play guy and you end up with gaps of dead air, except for the sound of the game in the background going on and you can clearly hear the ball hit the glove.

Smith violates every tenant of radio and that is the fans listening can't see the game, you have to present everything. Instead he doesn't offer the score, the pitch count, if a runner is taking a lead or when the infielders are playing a shift. He must have some fans but they have to be completely uninterested in the game and call in after to ask why Darrin Erstad wasn't in center field.

He also can't even judge very well if a batted ball is going to drop in or be caught. More often than not when he gets excited (one way or another) he's wrong.

Edited by ScottLux

Victor is good at being realistic about how the team is playing. If they're a pile of crap and not executing, he will call it like it is and almost get fed up a bit. On the flipside, if they're kickin butt he is plenty excited and full of energy. He doesn't criticize individual plays and catorce's decisions for the most part, he takes more of a big picture point of view

With that said, I wouldn't like victor and Langston working together. I think mark does just fine on the radio and has a good chemistry with terry. Victor and Langston might get a little too critical if things are going badly. Terry isn't a complete homer, but he and Langston are a good mix of cheering for the team and calling it like it is. If the team is crap and sosh is doing stupid shit, Langston is definitely not afraid to call them out

He also can't even judge very well if a pitch is going to drop in or be caught. More often than not when he gets excited (one way or another) he's wrong. 

The worst is when Smith gets all excited about the opposing team getting a hit or home run.

Smith violates every tenant of radio and that is the fans listening can't see the game, you have to present everything. Instead he doesn't offer the score, the pitch count, if a runner is taking a lead or when the infielders are playing a shift. He must have some fans but they have to be completely uninterested in the game and call in after to ask why Darrin Erstad wasn't in center field.

Hey we actually agree on something!

Victor is good at being realistic about how the team is playing. If they're a pile of crap and not executing, he will call it like it is and almost get fed up a bit. On the flipside, if they're kickin butt he is plenty excited and full of energy. He doesn't criticize individual plays and catorce's decisions for the most part, he takes more of a big picture point of view

With that said, I wouldn't like victor and Langston working together. I think mark does just fine on the radio and has a good chemistry with terry. Victor and Langston might get a little too critical if things are going badly. Terry isn't a complete homer, but he and Langston are a good mix of cheering for the team and calling it like it is. If the team is crap and sosh is doing stupid shit, Langston is definitely not afraid to call them out

I think he criticizes catorce quite often.

If you can't sense the condescending tone in victor's voice then you probably struggle with people.

I do well interacting with people; I'm often told that I would be great at parties.

Help me understand this: Both Gubicza AND Mota have keys to the game?  Because I know Gubi does that stupid crap, and I saw the postgame show yesterday, and Mota was reviewing his keys to the game. 

What marketing/sports strategy consultant came up with that winning combo?

It's all about selling.

Anything that can be monetized.

I'm surprise the first walk of the game hasn't been sponsored by Sketchers yet.

10 years ago, we had a GM in the LA TV market that wanted to slap on sponsors on the traffic, weather, sports, finance segment etc.   He succeeded.  It's everywhere.  

Ask Gubi, and he will tell you that he hates it.

If I could stomach it, I'd try to count how many different sponsors are worked into the game.  In-n-out, ATT U-Verse, Arco, etc.

I watch a lot less of the endless string of 162 games because of Gubicza.  I don't think he's a bad guy.  I just don't think he's a good color baseball announcer.  There has to be more than "compact swing" and "keeping your hands through the zone".

And the hips flying open.

I enjoy Victor and Gubi.  I don't know how they do it every night with this current crappy team and manager..

And the hips flying open.

I enjoy Victor and Gubi.  I don't know how they do it every night with this current crappy team and manager..

It was a 9-2 game in the ninth inning (or something like that) and I think it was Cron at first base fires down to second, and overthrows Aybar by five feet.

Thank god Gubi was there to mention that Cron "didn't keep his elbow down".  In a 9-2 trunk slammer of a game.

It's all about selling.

Anything that can be monetized.

I'm surprise the first walk of the game hasn't been sponsored by Sketchers yet.

10 years ago, we had a GM in the LA TV market that wanted to slap on sponsors on the traffic, weather, sports, finance segment etc.   He succeeded.  It's everywhere.  

Ask Gubi, and he will tell you that he hates it.

If I could stomach it, I'd try to count how many different sponsors are worked into the game.  In-n-out, ATT U-Verse, Arco, etc.

I was traveling in my car on a long trip last month, and I have Sirius sat radio.  The Angels weren't playing, so I had a Yankees/Toronto game on mainly because I get a yuk out of the Yankees radio team, especially Susan Walden.  I was dumbfounded by the number of commercials they slipped in as the game progressed, it was totally ridiculous.  It was far above what our announcers do.

I was traveling in my car on a long trip last month, and I have Sirius sat radio. The Angels weren't playing, so I had a Yankees/Toronto game on mainly because I get a yuk out of the Yankees radio team, especially Susan Walden. I was dumbfounded by the number of commercials they slipped in as the game progressed, it was totally ridiculous. It was far above what our announcers do.

Are you sure you missed some spots after Suzyn Waldman intoxicated you with her sexy voice, deep radio charm and passion go Jetah?

Here's another very annoying thing Victor does.

8th inning tonight. Kole flies out to deep right, and Victor does that "and he leaves Trout on the on deck circle."

Kole gave the pitch a ride. It's very condescending. Furthermore Trout has been abysmal in August aside from the 4-4.

Everyone can't tiptoe and try to make sure Trout comes up.

It's super annoying.

I was traveling in my car on a long trip last month, and I have Sirius sat radio.  The Angels weren't playing, so I had a Yankees/Toronto game on mainly because I get a yuk out of the Yankees radio team, especially Susan Walden.  I was dumbfounded by the number of commercials they slipped in as the game progressed, it was totally ridiculous.  It was far above what our announcers do.

The Dodgers radio is the same. half inning sponsored by...Visit to the mound sponsored by...Strike out was sponsored by...

It's so stuuupid. but it's $$$$$$