• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Victor and Gubi

Angels are playing bad, time to be critical of the announcers. We should just sticky one of these threads. We can combine the ten or twelve we have from this season and stick it right up there with the Introduce yourself here thread.

Put a sticky on this thread.  Its a great idea.

Only one team in 30 is going to win a World Series. The other 29 teams aren't.  We know that going in, so to hold our interest for an hour or so a day (let alone 3 hours), the product better be entertaining.  That product includes the announcers.  I think they are super important.

Look at the Dodgers.  They are going on 30 years without even playing in a world series.  Yet a large percentage of their fans (at least the ones in not in jail) are ecstatic to be able to watch and hear a fantastic broadcaster most nights.  He's an incredibly valuable part of the franchise.

I don't expect for the Angels to have a once-in-a-century announcer like Scully.  But I don't think its too much to ask for something more than "barely competent" that Gubicza and Smith are in their roles (in my opinion).

Same.

I would love for Victor and Langston to team up. 

Gubi bothers me. I prefer my Angels games on mute most of the time because of this. 

I don't think that would work out. It would need to be Langston and a Hudler/Goober type everyman. 

I can't listen to Smith when driving home from work because I am honestly worried about falling asleep.

Kudos to the people who can somehow find something interesting in the Smith broadcast, because for 14 years, I haven't.

I used to think Smith was bad until one weekend Victor Rojas was out sick so they had Terry Smith announce the game on TV and they brought in Roger Lodge to call the game on the radio. It had to be that weekend when I was driving for seven straight hours :( Edited by ScottLux

I used to think Smith was bad until one weekend Victor Rojas was out sick so they had Terry Smith announce the game on TV and they brought in Roger Lodge to call the game on the radio. It had to be that weekend when I was driving for seven straight hours :(

That was brutal. Had to follow the game on my phone in silence.

I used to think Smith was bad until one weekend Victor Rojas was out sick so they had Terry Smith announce the game on TV and they brought in Roger Lodge to call the game on the radio. It had to be that weekend when I was driving for seven straight hours :(

As someone who has studied and followed sports media closely for nearly 40 years, I can say with all confidence that Lodge is the worst in the business.  Past and present.

Gubi bothers me. I prefer my Angels games on mute most of the time because of this. 

I watch a lot less of the endless string of 162 games because of Gubicza.  I don't think he's a bad guy.  I just don't think he's a good color baseball announcer.  There has to be more than "compact swing" and "keeping your hands through the zone".

Because Smith is better than Lodge doesn't negate the fact that he's still bad.

Back a decade ago, I used to call Smith Drone #2.  He sounds like he's one of an assembly line of automated baseball announcers.

I watch a lot less of the endless string of 162 games because of Gubicza. I don't think he's a bad guy. I just don't think he's a good color baseball announcer. There has to be more than "compact swing" and "keeping your hands through the zone".

Every color guy says those things.

Fair enough. The good ones also say interesting things about other aspects of the game, the players, etc. Or just have a funny, witty personality.

I think Gubi has some decent insight on pitching. My biggest pet peeve is how it sounds like he's trying to follow and narrate the camera shot instead of just finishing his thought on the actual baseball event. Every time they show Scioscia in the dugout he just adds "for Mike Scioscia there" to whatever he was already saying.