• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Trout Effect on FAs

As we talking about what his continual greatness on the field, I can't help but think about his impact with free agents and others who would want to play with him.

Trout appears to be the anti-Kobe. As his legend rises, and he's at least locked down for several more seasons, I wonder if there will be a shift in free agents wanting to play with him.

Huston Street's admiration of him is an example. That's a guy who liked his situation and signed on for a longer deal.

I might think Trout's greatness might have enough gravitational pull to bring other stars to So Cal, especially if the lure of just playing with the guy, is compounded by the potential to make great endorsement deals.

As much as I dislike Arte, I really see sheer genius in the way he bumped Trout's salary, all the while negotiating non-cap affected side business deals for Trout.

The sports drink may just be the tip of the iceberg. If Arte locks Trout into a few more business deals, he may just have the easiest path to locking him up for life.

There's no reason why the Angels shouldn't be offering Trout a Stanton-like contract. And I believe if he's here for the long haul, he can attract some others.

Plus as crappy as Pujols has been lately, he's still a great guy. Playing with two HOFs has to weigh a little bit on the mind of free agent?

Just another extension of Trout's greatness!!

I was actually thinking about the same thing this morning...

I'd like to think there's got to be some appeal to playing with Trout as well. As long as we have Trout in the lineup you'd have to think we'll always be somewhat competitive which is always attractive as well. You mentioned Kobe so I'll use David West as an example of someone who walked away from a lot money this offseason to go and have a chance at winning a title with the always competitive Spurs.

Don't want to derail your thread but even a guy like Justin Upton, if he were to come here he's the 3rd guy behind Trout and Pujols. That takes a lot of pressure off of him or anyone who comes here for that matter and that's got to be attractive as well.

I'd like to be Trout's agent if Arte is the one doing all the side business deals.

Think about it, keep the salary cap down by paying him reasonable playing wages and then let him make bank, and the Angels make bank off of all the side deals. It's a great partnership. Arte is probably only doing that if he's pulling the strings. Trout's agent along for the ride for that 10%.

Think about it, keep the salary cap down by paying him reasonable playing wages and then let him make bank, and the Angels make bank off of all the side deals. It's a great partnership. Arte is probably only doing that if he's pulling the strings. Trout's agent along for the ride for that 10%.

What exactly is Arte doing to facilitate Trout getting more endorsement income? A few people have mentioned Arte is doing something but never explain *what*

What exactly is Arte doing to facilitate Trout getting more endorsement income? A few people have mentioned Arte is doing something but never explain *what*

And why wouldn't some other owner be able to provide the same opportunities?

I think it comes down to location and the odds to win it all.

Ready for a derail? I think Sosh might be a bigger free agent draw than Trout. I think veterans like a manger who will let them play through their struggles and isn't a puppet to a GM and his spread sheet agenda.

While I don't know that he's a bigger draw, I completely agree with your assessment of Sosh.    Albert also is a big story.   If he's happy, it's another positive for free agents.  Huston Street obviously likes something here.   Weaver signed for a discount.   

It's funny because 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought that any free agent would ever want to step in this cesspool, but at the very least my perception has swung 180 degrees.   

Now all of the sudden it looks like a fun place to play, and the clubhouse would appear (From the outside) to be a relaxed and inviting atmosphere, with the exception of Sosh killing Trout's music.   But he probably listens to shitty music anyway.   Sublime.

Or he will see what guys like Weaver did and Albert can talk him through the process of being beloved with one team and leaving for another.

Aside from the physical issues Albert had, I still believe he had some mental Cardinal guilt for bolting Stl. Because of the personal services contract he has, he will never say leaving Stl was a mistake, but I'm sure there's a little bit of regret.