• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Reds have made Jay Bruce available via trade.

Chuck

Basically, we should think short term and long term for LF.  Who do we want in LF for 2016?  What's our plan?

We could go big for someone like Upton and try to re-sign him.

We could go medium for someone like Bruce for the next couple seasons.  Or someone like Parra, Revere, Hicks, etc.  Would be nice to add speed and a base stealer at least for the 4th OF spot.

Could get a Kubitza type prospect that could grow into a MLB everyday starter.

I'm fine with any of those options as long as we don't give up too much.

I would like to hold on to Cron for DH.  Joyce can become 5th OF / left handed DH, etc.

So, really I think we need to add a starting OF and a 4th OF, so 2 outfielders.

Edited by Chris

Given how expensive Jay bruce is becoming, there's NO WAY I'd give up anything of value for him.  Sure he hits good in the NL in that bandbox, but bring him into the AL into pitching friendly territory, he might only hit .240 with 20 HR's.  That isn't worth 13 million a year and it certainly isn't worth the prospects we'd have to give up.

Even a salient point becomes moot when repeated ad nauseum.

Sorry about that....I guess I'm a little worn out with all this trade talk, which does seem rather moot and pointless to me....to be clear, I think Stoneman's record is admirable, he was just way too inflexible about in season trades....but, maybe that's unfair, he sure didn't mess up any July trades that came back to haunt us....maybe he'll surprise us all this time....

Edited by DMVol

This idea seems terrible in nearly every way you can think of. Is he better than our current LF crop? Sure, but so are 80 per cent of the left fielders currently in the big leagues. He had an OPS below .700, a WAR below 0 and an OBP barely above .280 last year and is owed a minimum of $13.5 million beyond this year. He's been a 2+ WAR player twice in seven seasons, not including this year. If the Reds ate a bit of that money maybe you'd consider it, but they're not going to. Either way, there's no way I feel comfortable giving up someone as valuable as Ellis to get Bruce in.

I'd be very curious to know what SD asks for in return for Upton. If it was a prospect or two not named Newcomb/Tropeano/Heaney, I think it could make sense.

I'd do that too, but I'm not sure if Stoneman would know a good deal if it hit him in the face like a Mike Tyson punch, or ear biting. 

Sorry about that....I guess I'm a little worn out with all this trade talk, which does seem rather moot and pointless to me....to be clear, I think Stoneman's record is admirable, he was just way too inflexible about in season trades....but, maybe that's unfair, he sure didn't mess up any July trades that came back to haunt us....maybe he'll surprise us all this time....

I think his lack of trades was a fair criticism, but his lack of deadline deals ..  Not so much.   More often than not, the Angels did in fact find what they needed in house.   I think people underestimated Stoneman's past in finance..   Dude was a stickler for opportunity costs.

I'd take Bruce but only for something like Nate Smith and Alcantara. The Reds are unfortunately going to want a lot more than that though, and they'll probably get it.

I think that would be a waste of Nate Smith.   People are underestimating the outside opinion of him -- he's gaining fans outside of the Angels organization..  A few days ago the BBA podcast about the US team at the Pan Am games stated he had been the best looking pitcher among the team USA arms, a group that includes two top 50 BBA prospects..  Yesterday he threw 6 innings of 1 hit ball at Cuba, a day after Jake Thompson got destroyed by a Puerto Rico team lacking any real prospects. 

IMO, Smith is a bullet you save for a better deal.   What he's doing at the Pan Am Games may up his value, particularly among saber inclined teams that value performane over potential upside.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I think that would be a waste of Nate Smith.   People are underestimating the outside opinion of him -- he's gaining fans outside of the Angels organization..  A few days ago the BBA podcast about the US team at the Pan Am games stated he had been the best looking pitcher among the team USA arms, a group that includes two top 50 BBA prospects..  Yesterday he threw 6 innings of 1 hit ball at Cuba, a day after Jake Thompson got destroyed by a Puerto Rico team lacking any real prospects. 

IMO, Smith is a bullet you save for a better deal.   What he's doing at the Pan Am Games may up his value, particularly among saber inclined teams that value performane over potential upside.

I would presume you are referring to teams like the Rays and A's. If the Angels could get Reddick for a package centered around Smith then obviously that is the better route but I don't see a whole lot of great options out there, especially if you're cutting down the trade targets to "saber inclined teams".

IP, you've talked me out of Jay Bruce. 

Now if we get him for peanuts, I'm down though. 

I think you may have had it right two weeks ago when you mentioned Lind.   He seems like the best possible fit and the price may be right.   Also, I liked how things turned out the last time the Angels made a trade with Milwaukee for a hitter at the trade deadline.

I would presume you are referring to teams like the Rays and A's. If the Angels could get Reddick for a package centered around Smith then obviously that is the better route but I don't see a whole lot of great options out there, especially if you're cutting down the trade targets to "saber inclined teams".

I'm not really limiting it to saber inclined teams -- but I think those teams would be more apt to take notice of what he's actually doing..   IMO, anytime there is a buzz in any MLB circle about a guy it tends to get around -- so while it may start with Oakland and SD and Chicago, TB....  It will get around.  The dumber teams might hear the talk and then look at his ERA ans K totals....  He's holding his own in both departments.

Mostly, I brought up what the perception of him might be to teams that value production because I've seen his upside be questioned here -- I get it...  but, I don't really believe his stuff really needs to take an uptick more than it already has.   He's working 92-93 pretty consistently -- he touched 94, 5 times .vs Cuba.   Even if the gun was off, he's in a good place with his stuff.

The thing I like about Smith goes beyond what I see him do...  I like to watch what hitters are doing with a guy.  Smith will hang stuff and I've seen hitters turn on his pitches, but they aren't doing a lot with it.  Obviously, MLB hitters are better, and it's likely they WOULD do more damage, but I like where he's at, and I think he's becoming a better pitcher.  IMO, the more he trusts that change up of his, the more likely he is to find greater success.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The biggest thing I notice with Smith is how much more crisp he looks this year.  Last year I watched him and was impressed for a first year collegiate pitcher being in AA.  When I watched, his fastball was typically 87-90, his curve ball was loopy and his change up was his best pitch, though it was inconsistent.  I saw a long reliever.  This year, his fastball is noticeably more firm, generally 89-92, his curve has a sharper break to it and he's been hitting his spots with the change up all year long.  None of them are "plus" pitches but none of them are below average either. 

We've also seen him develop into more of a "pitcher".  Despite the better stuff, he's staying in the zone more and controlling counts.  This has led to more contact and less walks. He's becoming smarter in his ability to manipulate hitters. 

Now i don't think it translates to across the board success in the majors.  But I do believe he'll be a decent #4/5 starter.  Add into the fact that he's young, left handed, eats innings and throws strikes and suddenly you have a somewhat valuable trade chip.