• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Reds have made Jay Bruce available via trade.

Chuck

There have been similar rumblings from other sources over the past few weeks. Bruce has a decent .806 OPS with 13 home runs and 42 RBI in 84 games this season, and he's under contract through the 2017 campaign at a fairly reasonable rate ($12 million this year, $12.5 million next year, $13 million option the year after). The 28-year-old should draw interest from a range of teams. Look for the Reds to become major sellers almost as soon as the All-Star festivities conclude at Great American Ball Park.

Source: CBS Sports
Jul 13 - 12:34 PM

Would be a nice group of throwing arms in the OF, as even Trout's arm has improved.

But what would Bruce cost in prospects?   

Something like Ellis, Tropeano, and one key position player prospect?   Or even more?  Would they hold out for Newcomb?

Brandon Moss is another potential LF target.   The Indians are 6.5 games out of the 2nd WC spot.

Moss has been declining since 2013 (currently .723 OPS in 2015), but only has 1.5 seasons before FA.   

He might require less to come back to the Indians than what would need to go to the Reds for Bruce.   Plus Moss has AL experience back to 2012. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Sure.  Although his home/away splits are scary.  So we can assume he's probably a slightly above average hitter away from that bandbox he plays in.  I certainly wouldn't pay a premier price for him which I wonder is part of the perception that comes along with him.  

I guess it would really depend on what it takes to get him, but this would be a solid move for the team for sure.  He would give Pujols way better protection than what he is getting now and if Cron has indeed finally figured it out, this team will become pretty damn strong offensively in the second half.

Good defense, big bat, fairly cheap and signed through 2017. . 

Thoughts?

Career numbers away from the bandbox (and in the NL)....   .244/313/.425.  He is due 13 mil in each of the next two seasons..... that is a lot of money for a guy who's got 200 K potential with neutral park numbers that profile no better than Josh Reddick.

I can't get into NL hitters in bandboxes.

Career numbers away from the bandbox (and in the NL)....   .244/313/.425.  He is due 13 mil in each of the next two seasons..... that is a lot of money for a guy who's got 200 K potential with neutral park numbers that profile no better than Josh Reddick.

pretty much this, he plays in a good hitters park and still doesn't hit that well.  i wouldnt do it unless they can get him for low level prospect & reds eat some of that contract..

Ellis, Bedrosian and Shoemaker for Bruce?

You know how much I dislike Revere, but if I had to pick between the two, I'd prolly chase Revere.  

If I have one really big bias, it's NL hitters with bad contact rates.   I just can't think of any who have come to the AL and done well.  Bruce looks like Adam Dunn redux -- like Dunn, Bruce has some three outcome tendencies, and his numbers pale in comparison to what Dunn did in the NL....   When you look at what Dunn did in the AL while htting at Cellular 1 park, it's kinda scary..

Lind is likely still the best option that we know has been made available.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Seriously?? 3 major league caliber pitchers for a low avg. high power, high strikeouts, good defense. All in a hitters park in the NL. Get out of here, hold onto the pitching and do something I'm the offseason. Why not call down to San Diego and swap a couple prospects for Upton as a rental

Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

Seriously?? 3 major league caliber pitchers for a low avg. high power, high strikeouts, good defense. All in a hitters park in the NL. Get out of here, hold onto the pitching and do something I'm the offseason. Why not call down to San Diego and swap a couple prospects for Upton as a rental

I'd be very curious to know what SD asks for in return for Upton. If it was a prospect or two not named Newcomb/Tropeano/Heaney, I think it could make sense.

You would think the organization could provide an in house solution for that kind of player.

You would think the organization could provide an in house solution for that kind of player.

They did ....  he's playing everyday for StL and sporting the second best generated exit velocity in MLB behind Giancarlo Stanton.   Dead horse I know...   

(Okay, he's not a three outcome hitter but still)

Edited by Inside Pitch