• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to make a trade

I don't think this is only a .500 team. There's not much difference between last years team and this year's team.

Last years team got really lucky to win 98 games, should've been more of an 89-91 win team.  This years team is worse than last years, no Howie, no Hamilton, every starting pitcher regressing except CJ.  

Last years team got really lucky to win 98 games, should've been more of an 89-91 win team. This years team is worse than last years, no Howie, no Hamilton, every starting pitcher regressing except CJ.

There really wasn't any Hamilton last year either, and do you remember CJ doing awful last year? Pepperidge Farms remembers. The team really turned it around after the acquisition of Street, maybe it was that, or maybe it was that time of the year. Calm down, and know that a good series against the Astros will put us right back in the mix.

I bet you'd still complain about something even if they did win 90 games. You never say anything remotely positive about the Angels.

What he stated is 100% fact. They are at .500. The level they would have to play to reach 90 wins is very high. They would pretty much be the best team the rest of the way. With the likes of Weaver and Shoemaker, I don't see that happening Edited by Angels N Skins

Let's not make a trade just to make a trade.

As I type this, we are only 2.5 games back in the Wild Card.

Granted, we are not playing well or at least playing as well as we would like. But the truth is,  I don't see a trade that will make us an immediate WS contender.

I say go with what you got and let this thing play out.

Go Halos!!!

I'm sure Dipoto isn't resting on his laurels like some of you are suggesting—he's undoubtedly well aware of the team's need for a left fielder who can hit.

This team is good despite the hyperbole in this thread, but they aren't good enough at present. another bat is sorely needed to compete with the other top teams in the AL.

Qft

I'm sure Dipoto isn't resting on his laurels like some of you are suggesting—he's undoubtedly well aware of the team's need for a left fielder who can hit.

This team is good despite the hyperbole in this thread, but they aren't good enough at present. another bat is sorely needed to compete with the other top teams in the AL.

I would only go as far to say decent to solid, still too many holes (bullpen depth, LF, DH, lack of OBP in lineup).

And I would wait until late July.    Do not gut a rebuilding farm system for a season like this one.

Edited by Angel Oracle

We haven't been to the WS since 2002, this is the future that everyone is always so worried about trading away.  They should do anything to get better than last year and they were very good last year.  How great would Dee Gordon look for us? How about James Shields?  9-10 more wins and 1st place right now, maybe? 

The thing that makes me nervous is that, while I like what Dipoto has done to add SP depth the past couple years, I still think we have more the illusion of SP depth than actual depth. Of Heaney, Tropeano, and Newcomb, all have some question marks and it could very well be that none of them ends up panning out in a significant way (and to that point, Heaney has been very shaky, and I think it says a lot that we were able to get him for essentially one year of Howie Kendrick).

The ML rotation is also shaky.

Weaver is now on the DL and his career may be coming to a rapid close. At best, it looks like he'll be back-end of the rotation kind of guy from here on out.

Wilson has been mostly solid this year, but we all know how flakey he can be. Could shit the bed at any time.

Shoemaker has turned back into a pumpkin.

Santiago has been ver solid, but again, plenty of reasons to be skeptical or at least keep expectations tempered.

Richards has been very mediocre this year. Could be he's still working his way back from that leg injury. Could just be a slightly down year. Could also be that 2014 was a fluke.

My point of all this is, we don't really have SP depth right now. We have the potential for SP depth. But I don't think it's a position of strength from which we can afford to make trades.

The thing that makes me nervous is that, while I like what Dipoto has done to add SP depth the past couple years, I still think we have more the illusion of SP depth than actual depth. Of Heaney, Tropeano, and Newcomb, all have some question marks and it could very well be that none of them ends up panning out in a significant way (and to that point, Heaney has been very shaky, and I think it says a lot that we were able to get him for essentially one year of Howie Kendrick).

It says more about the GM/FO than player. We acquired Heaney from the same team who gave up Jake Marisnick, Colin Moran (6th pick in 2013 draft) and a comp pick in which they used to draft Daz Cameron in exchange for Jarred Cosart. So no, it says absolutely nothing about the player.

It's annoying how Heaney is already being written off. He had a 3.02 ERA entering June and now after a couple of hiccups he's considered a bust Lol.

Edited by SoWhat

It says more about the GM/FO than player. We acquired Heaney from the same team who gave up Jake Marisnick, Colin Moran (6th pick in 2013 draft) and a comp pick in which they used to draft Daz Cameron in exchange for Jarred Cosart. So no, it says absolutely nothing about the player.

It's annoying how Heaney is already being written off. He had a 3.02 ERA entering June and now after a couple of hiccups he's considered a bust Lol.

Welcome to AW.com, home of short memories, except for 2002.

not writing him off. I still have hope that he can be a meaningful part of the team down the road, but he's still a big question mark. To my point, I don't think he could be considered part of the "SP depth" right now, in that we don't really know that he can be a viable SP in the bigs, let alone a good SP. 

Heaney is the new Grichuk.  People are looking at the basic counting stats and completely ignoring the rates, the league, the park...    Even after crapping the bed like some feel he's done of late the dude has a FIP of 2.71.  (4.16 league average)  Yeah his ERA is high but a large part of that is a BABIP near .400...    People can argue that he will be a guy that will always produce contact and that's fair but he's got Rutledge, Cron, and Green, playing defense behind him in AAA.   His predictive rates are all league average or better and his FB pull rate is below 30% which is excellent.  

Heaney's never going to be dominant -- the lack of a truly impressive FB will always be an issue, but he will pitch backwards, curveball guys to death and be solid middle of the rotation guy.

not writing him off. I still have hope that he can be a meaningful part of the team down the road, but he's still a big question mark. To my point, I don't think he could be considered part of the "SP depth" right now, in that we don't really know that he can be a viable SP in the bigs, let alone a good SP. 

All prospects are unproven depth until they actually come up and prove it.

Heaney is the new Grichuk.  People are looking at the basic counting stats and completely ignoring the rates, the league, the park...    Even after crapping the bed like some feel he's done of late the dude has a FIP of 2.71.  (4.16 league average)  Yeah his ERA is high but a large part of that is a BABIP near .400...    People can argue that he will be a guy that will always produce contact and that's fair but he's got Rutledge, Cron, and Green, playing defense behind him in AAA.   His predictive rates are all league average or better and his FB pull rate is below 30% which is excellent.  

Heaney's never going to be dominant -- the lack of a truly impressive FB will always be an issue, but he will pitch backwards, curveball guys to death and be solid middle of the rotation guy.

Nah, I don't think so. I was low on Grichuk because he was a free swinger who didn't avoid making outs enough. If this were OOTP, Grichuk's line would read (on a 1-10 player scale), 5-6-7-3-4. I need more discipline than that in my offensive players.

Heaney is different. Our AA park is hell on a hitter and AAA park hell on a pitcher. Heaney is deceptive enough, with good command of his pitches, that I just want to get him the hell out of Salt Lake. Hell, same with Tropeano. I'd rather see these guys as relievers in the bigs, and stretch them out in the offseason if we plan on losing or moving a SP.

Nah, I don't think so. I was low on Grichuk because he was a free swinger who didn't avoid making outs enough. If this were OOTP, Grichuk's line would read (on a 1-10 player scale), 5-6-7-3-4. I need more discipline than that in my offensive players.

Heaney is different. Our AA park is hell on a hitter and AAA park hell on a pitcher. Heaney is deceptive enough, with good command of his pitches, that I just want to get him the hell out of Salt Lake. Hell, same with Tropeano. I'd rather see these guys as relievers in the bigs, and stretch them out in the offseason if we plan on losing or moving a SP.

I never saw you as negative on Grichuk..  You, SoWhat and others were concerned about his being a hack.... (he is).  But I don't recall you dismissing his defense or his power...  I mean as much as I like him, he's got hackish ways which IMO will keep him from being a special player.

Edited by Inside Pitch