• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to make a trade

CJ has been our second best pitcher. Unless you're super confident someone can replace him, and Shoe/Weaver turn it around, you don't move Wilson.

If you're selling CJ is probably the first guy you sell. He's 34 so he's not really part of our long-term plans (I would assume we don't resign him after his contract ends), he has a high salary, and he's pitching well so he actually has some trade value.

If you're selling CJ is probably the first guy you sell. He's 34 so he's not really part of our long-term plans (I would assume we don't resign him after his contract ends), he has a high salary, and he's pitching well so he actually has some trade value.

Trying to find a potential trade partner who would want Wilson and give us something of worth in return could prove difficult. Does Wilson have a no trade clause?

Here's the problem: Due to the parity in MLB, it is a seller's market - meaning, there aren't a lot of teams that are ready to cash in their chips for the year (yet), so any decent trade chip will be overvalued on the market. Unless Dipoto is willing to give up talented young pitching, which I don't think he is, the Angels simply don't have a lot to work with.

Probably the only likely scenario is that the Angels do a swap like Wilson for Ethier, or possibly helping a team get rid of payroll. But that becomes a problem. Do we really want a Hanley Ramirez or Pablo Sandoval? Or do we want to sell the farm on Justin Upton, who will be a free agent anyway? Or trade away a good pitching prospect for a Josh Reddick? I think not.

Again, we MIGHT see the Angels trade Wilson for someone like Ethier, but that's about it.

I like how you used last 30 days just so you could sneak in the one good week Joyce had at the end of May. In June, he's batting .191 with a .607 OPS, and a whopping 1 RBI.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't be traded, just that there are about six players who are roughly equally bad.  I guess my point is that there are too many holes to fill right now, and the supporting minor league structure has too few ready reserves of any value.

By the way though, Joyce in the last 7 days, .308 average / .438 OBP / .899 OPS, but a small sample size.  I guess it's all what stats you want to look at.

Edited by tomsred

Even then, I'm not sure we trade Wilson. Yeah, he had a horrid year last year, but for the majority of his contract, he's been a good pitcher for us. Are you going to plug in Heaney or Tropeano and hope they can match his production? Especially when Shoe/Weaver need replacements probably? I'm not quite ready to give up on those two, but you have to consider the possibility of having to replace them.

It's pretty hard to pinpoint the hole to plug right now. We can get ourselves in big trouble in the longer haul if we aren't smart about the process of improvement.

This is the major problem with rushing into a deal just to be doing something. It has to be the right deal. We are early in the process of rebuilding what was a dreadful farm system, and we don't want to trade the future for the past.

I'm sure Dipoto isn't resting on his laurels like some of you are suggesting—he's undoubtedly well aware of the team's need for a left fielder who can hit.

This team is good despite the hyperbole in this thread, but they aren't good enough at present. another bat is sorely needed to compete with the other top teams in the AL.

Edited by failos

When everyone but the Brewers, Phillies, and Rockies is still in the race (due to the two wild cards in each league), it makes it very difficult to consummate a trade in June. A lot of teams are going to want to wait it out as long as possible to determine if they're buying or selling.

Making a trade just to make a trade is what got us Vernon Wells.

Edited by Mark68

This is a .500 team and it would take a lot more than one trade to make them a 90 win team.

This ^^^, and trades are not necessarily additive.  First you subtract a player(s), then you add a player(s), which means sometimes the result is positive, and sometimes the result is negative.  If you believe everything you read here, it almost always negative.

7d39f534.gif

Edited by tomsred

This team is too bereft of talent to take the "win now" approach. We've done that for the past five seasons and its resulted in one playoff appearance and zero playoff wins.

Sit on your hands and let the youth develop more and see what you have. Dont start giving away what little minor league talent there is to improve a mediocre team. Let all the dead weight come off the books and see if you can sign some free agents that will actually produce, no more big splashes.

The Yankees of the west plan has failed miserably, its time to take a better approach

This is a .500 team and it would take a lot more than one trade to make them a 90 win team.

I bet you'd still complain about something even if they did win 90 games. You never say anything remotely positive about the Angels.