• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sayonara Hamilton

Good article as usual.  I'm not sure I believe them when they say that though.  It is clear to me the players union is instructing CJ Wilson what to say and I wouldn't be surprised if he has been telling other players what to say when asked by the media.  IMO, a situation like this has to hang over the clubhouse.  At least a little bit.

An excessive attachment to the thrill of hitting might explain his flailing away at almost every pitch that he sees.

I'm no psychologist, but those insights in IP's post ring true.

If the thrill is all about hitting then flailing away wouldn't achieve that goal. That would be like saying having sex with girls is the goal then dating Cez. It's a strikeout no matter how you spin it.

Edited by notti

Good article as usual. I'm not sure I believe them when they say that though. It is clear to me the players union is instructing CJ Wilson what to say and I wouldn't be surprised if he has been telling other players what to say when asked by the media. IMO, a situation like this has to hang over the clubhouse. At least a little bit.

Well, my opinion that it doesn't is based on going in to a major league clubhouse about 5,000 times.

Yours?

My biggest concern with Hamilton is basically these statements from this article http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/02/26/josh-hamilton-relapse-mlb-suspension-roy-silver/24060571/

"He talked about that he was having trouble getting up for games.'' Silver said. "I don't know whether it was a self-realization or depression. He has to find a way to get yourself up, or you have to man up. He has a job to do. And I'm not big into stealing people's money."

The article also quotes Silver as saying this "Baseball has never driven Josh,'' says Silver. "People don't understand that. He just loves to hit. And he loves to dive." "And after winning the MVP and going to two World Series, his body won't let him dive anymore, and he's struggling to hit. If he's still dealing with all of these mental and emotional challenges, it's not going to work.''

This is one of the people in Hamilton's inner circle, a person who Hamilton obviously confides in and he's telling him that he is having trouble getting motivated to play and that he generally doesn't really like baseball as much as he likes to hit. Maybe I'm just being cynical but both those statements stick out like sore thumbs to me. If hitting is what he likes to do, and he's having trouble getting motivated then nothing is really likely to change so long as he's in Anaheim. The park is absolutely killing him.

I understand the players say he's all geeked up to play baseball again, but what's going to happen when he goes two weeks at home with no HRs? Get him back on the field, but they really should look to move him as soon as he shows signs of life and gets the attention of a different club.

Josh Hamilton is hitting .246 lifetime in Anaheim. The park is definitely an issue for him. I really hope that Arte can find a way not to have him back. He's been drama from the start of his career to present. It's crazy that some people would like to see him back. In 2013 he was healthy and he sucked. He's two years older now and he has consistantly declined since his Texas days so why would we want him back. He's toast!

Josh Hamilton is hitting .246 lifetime in Anaheim. The park is definitely an issue for him. I really hope that Arte can find a way not to have him back. He's been drama from the start of his career to present. It's crazy that some people would like to see him back. In 2013 he was healthy and he sucked. He's two years older now and he has consistantly declined since his Texas days so why would we want him back. He's toast!

His decline may be overstated or more likely a result of his inability to hit in Anaheim.  His road OPS of .874 last season was better than his career road OPS of 847.    I really believe the park has gotten to his head.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

His decline may be overstated or more likely a result of his inability to hit in Anaheim. His road OPS of .874 last season was better than his career road OPS of 847. I really believe the park has gotten to his head.

2010 a healthy 36 year old Hideki Matsui in Anaheim .277 / 10hr's / 41rbi's / .812ops

2012 a healthy 36 year old Torii Hunter in Anaheim .311 / 7hr's / 41rbi's / .802ops

2013 a healthy 32 year old Josh Hamilton in Anaheim .236 / 9hr's / 31rbi's / .690ops

Hamilton is toast. He no longer has the skills to be a force in the lineup in Anaheim. He needs to go!

2010 a healthy 36 year old Hideki Matsui in Anaheim .277 / 10hr's / 41rbi's / .812ops

2012 a healthy 36 year old Torii Hunter in Anaheim .311 / 7hr's / 41rbi's / .802ops

2013 a healthy 32 year old Josh Hamilton in Anaheim .236 / 9hr's / 31rbi's / .690ops

Hamilton is toast. He no longer has the skills to be a force in the lineup in Anaheim. He needs to go!

You've repeated your self about 5,999 times ... we get it.

If the Angels get rid of Hamilton, that would only leave Pujols and Arte for you to hate on.  Your posts would be cut by 33.3%.

Edited by mtangelsfan

And yet he managed to post an .874 OPS on the road, he's not as done as you want to make it seem.  

Maybe you have missed it, I never wanted him here, don't really want him back, but I'm trying to look beyond my personal biases here.  I think the Angels would be extremely foolish not to try to get max value out of him and that may require them to let him play and at least raise his value from nil to bad.   What's the worst thing that can happen?  At worst he plays poorly and the Angels are in the same boat they are now. 

Don't really get the point of bringing up Matsui and Hunter....  They didn't suck in Anaheim.... that's awesome, guess they didnt have a problem with the park.  Hamilton clearly does.

IMHO, best case scenario is that Josh comes back, has a newfound focus on baseball, and rakes. At this point, that would be closest to getting max value for him. Anything else and Arte gets next to zero value.

If we're still gonna have to pay him $83 million, I would like to see him do well for as long as it's possible for him to do so.