• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

First Place Mariners

A lot of baseball pundits have been picking the Mariners to win the AL West.  This is usually justified with the explanation that Nelson Cruz will hit 40 HR for them just like he did the Orioles.  I find that a dubious prospect so I don't think they'll take the division based on that.

But there's something else . . . The Effectively Wild podcast preview of the Mariners was really low on them winning the division. The reason, last year's bullpen was a huge reason for their success and there's no reason to think that all their relievers will have career years at the same time again. Not to mention Rodney falling apart with age.  In addition, they have few positional back up plans in the event of injury (particularly centerfield)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25862

Edited by TroutBaseball

A lot of baseball pundits have been picking the Mariners to win the AL West.  This is usually justified with the explanation that Nelson Cruz will hit 40 HR for them just like he did the Orioles.  I find that a dubious prospect so I don't think they'll take the division based on that.

But there's something else . . . The Effectively Wild podcast preview of the Mariners was really low on them winning the division. The reason, last year's bullpen was a huge reason for their success and there's no reason to think that all their relievers will have career years at the same time again. Not to mention Rodney falling apart with age.  In addition, they have few positional back up plans in the event of injury (particularly centerfield)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25862

I haven't seen a single publication that has picked the M's to win the West say that the only path to this outcome is with Nelson hitting 40 HRs.

Almost all of them have without a doubt said that he will hit less HRs ... which is true.

I also do not enjoy the hype ... it only leads to disappointment. I do have reserved optimism though.

Edited by Ender

Still gotta feel pretty good as an M's fan. They're putting a competitive product out on the field. If they can get to 88+ wins they have a chance. 

After a decade of suck ... even the slightest glimmer of hope is great. That is why I loved last season ... in the race until the very last day.

the AL West should be a very tight race this year. I think 90 wins for anyone is going to be tough. The M's are probably the team that scares me the most, and it's because of that rotation. Felix/Iwakuma/Paxton (limited sample) have had a lot of success against the Angels, and now you add Walker into the mix, who could really come into his own this year . . . I look at that first series of the year in Seattle and I think those are 3 tough games to win. Would the pitching match-up favor the Angels in any of those games? Seattle is formidable.

Seriously, the above picture on SI is the first I have heard of anyone picking the M's to be in first.  Don't get me wrong, they are going to make noise, and it will be exciting, but its the Angels division to lose.

Being a Mariner fan aside ... there have been a few .. just as many pick the Angels to win the AL West also, so I am assuming it will be a dogfight to the end (I hope it is anyway).

http://nesn.com/2015/03/red-sox-will-lose-to-mariners-in-alcs-according-to-prediction-machine/

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

I could probably find more, but I'm supposed to be working!

Yep, the loss of Hamilton, Conger and Jeppy will hurt.  

Losing Kendrick and having a lot of question marks in the rotation are my concerns.

Need Wilson to bounce back, need Shoe to continue where he left off and need Richards to come back from injury and pitch well.  Then you need Santiago/Ruskie (sp?)/Heaney/Tropeano to man the 5th slot.  I would assume it is Santiago and Ruskie get the 4/5 spots until Richards comes back.  Also need Weave not to regress and considering his age that is no slam dunk.

The rotation is a potential major pitfall for the team.  Can't count on another performance like last year.

I like the mariners chances. They have a very solid team, and are one of those "one piece away" teams that could put it all together.

I still hate them though.

The angels to me are almost a coin flip. Like said above, if richards and shoe repeat their 2014, if the pen is still in second half form, if pujols produces and guys like aybar, ianetta and joyce do their thing, and hopefully cron and freese suprise, were (imo) a top 5 team. But theres almost just as much of a chance of a bunch of that going wrong. Etvery team has that problem though i guess