• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Report: James Shields has 5-YR/$100M offer from mystery team

santini1

I'm okay with not having Santiago in the lineup. He's good, but he wasn't a world beater or anything last year.

I want to see what Heaney and Tropeano can do for us.

I am not the biggest fan of Shields, but I can see why the Angels might be interested. Going into a season with a Richards coming off a rather significant injury, CJ being a toss up, no Skaggs, and Heaney/Tropeano being complete wild cards. That is a lot of blocks that need to fit nicely together. Shoemaker and Weaver are the only two pitchers who don't have any question marks around them right now.

If the Angels signed Shields, that would mean they would be paying 20 million a year not to have Heaney, Tropeano and Santiago in the rotation.

Sorry folks, just don't see that happening. Not the way this squad is currently constructed.

Only way I can maybe see this is if they trade CJ Wilson. Shields would replace him

still doesn't make a ton of sense though and goes against everything they've been doing with the pitching staff over the past calender year

Hes been terrible in the playoffs over the course of 11 career starts, including 5 last postseason.

I know you dont care about the playoffs. You are satisfied with division championships. So never mind.

You hate black people because you don't like Howie. That's about as logical as your statement.

I will be very angry if the median age of the Angels 25 man roster increases by signing this fragile old man.  Very angry.  

8 straight years of 200+ innings. What a fragile little butterfly.

I don't think the Angels should sign him though. As I said it only makes any sense if CJ is gone.

I'm okay with not having Santiago in the lineup. He's good, but he wasn't a world beater or anything last year.

I want to see what Heaney and Tropeano can do for us.

I am not the biggest fan of Shields, but I can see why the Angels might be interested. Going into a season with a Richards coming off a rather significant injury, CJ being a toss up, no Skaggs, and Heaney/Tropeano being complete wild cards. That is a lot of blocks that need to fit nicely together. Shoemaker and Weaver are the only two pitchers who don't have any question marks around them right now.

I share your same excitement for Tropeano and Heaney.  In fact, I'd go as far as saying one of Tropeano or Heaney will be equally as good if not better than James Shields next year and then across the next 3-5 years, both will be better than Shields will be through his mid-30's. 

You hate black people because you don't like Howie. That's about as logical as your statement.

Not sure what that has to do with my post.  But my point is Shields isnt a big game pitcher, hes a big name pitcher.  And even with those numbers you posted, its not even close to his asking price.  Santiago just put up those numbers in the entire 2nd half of the season, and were not even sure if he will crack the rotation.  

Wouldnt even sign him for 10 million, unless it came on a 1 year deal.  

If the Angels signed Shields, that would mean they would be paying 20 million a year not to have Heaney, Tropeano and Santiago in the rotation.

Sorry folks, just don't see that happening. Not the way this squad is currently constructed.

Scotty I agree that we acquired those pitchers to pitch in our rotation at some point but Jerry Dipoto has been very careful to have a balance of younger inexperienced players combined with veterans.

For instance a rotation that consisted of Richards, Shoemaker, Heaney, and Tropeano would be very heavy towards the young side.

Also I think the Angels will trade Wilson soon. That would create an opening for a pitcher like Shields.

To be clear I'm not totally sold on a Shields signing either. I'm just saying that James is an experienced veteran pitcher who has provided pretty consistent results. Part of the battle for any team is reducing the error bar between what they expect from a player and what that player actually produces. Veterans provide more consistent results whereas younger players have a lot variability.

This means that the Angels might value consistency vs variability making a Shields signing possible if they move Wilson.

Giving James Shields a five year contract is worse than giving Scherzer 8 years or Lester 7. 

At least with Scherzer at 7 years, you are getting his age 30-32yo seasons.  

With Shields, you are paying front line money for the downside of his career.  You might get 1-2 years of slightly below his last year's production.  

With the workload he's provided the last 8 years, his arm is bound to fall off at any second.  

The fact Shields hasn't signed yet tells me this offer doesn't exist.

I think it does.  I think it's from a team he's less thrilled about playing for at this point as he's trying to get the same deal from a contender or somewhere close to his home in San Diego.  Or he he's mulling over a lesser deal from a better team.